October Dall Sheep Hunt

So I'm looking at the Chugach State Park (DS140) Archery hunt and I'm looking at a few details but one big item is kinda a blaring issue for me: what is the best tent in this situation. I don't own a backpacking tent, and infact sold the only tent I had to help fund this little venture. So I was looking at the Kuiu Mountain Star or a Seek Outside Silvertip but then I started asking myself if I need the 4 season tent. Has anybody done that October hunt up there and is the 4 season tent necessary or will I be good with one of the other options listed?
I'll probably have follow up questions/details later about other things - this is my first Dall Sheep Hunt and it'll be a tough one but I'm committed all out. Thanks in advance for the help.

If it was me I’d be looking at Hilleberg also. I’ve got a Nallo (red label). They seem to be the gold standard. Mine’s a Nallo 3 that’s nice for 2 people. I’ve have 3 in it, it works, but not ideal. I’m looking at an Akto for solo stuff.

The Hilleberg GT models are nice too, you basically get a huge vestibule, but I opted for living space instead of storage space.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
If it was me I’d be looking at Hilleberg also. I’ve got a Nallo (red label). They seem to be the gold standard. Mine’s a Nallo 3 that’s nice for 2 people. I’ve have 3 in it, it works, but not ideal. I’m looking at an Akto for solo stuff.

The Hilleberg GT models are nice too, you basically get a huge vestibule, but I opted for living space instead of storage space.
Thanks! The tent is just for me but I have several sheep hunting "buddies" who have said they highly recomend getting the 2person tent not to share but so you have a little more room if you get stuck inside, to spread gear, etc. I had looked at the Hilleberg but they were a bit heavier. I haven't looked at the Nallo though so I'll check it out.
In October that high though will I need a 4 season tent is the real question.

Thanks! The tent is just for me but I have several sheep hunting "buddies" who have said they highly recomend getting the 2person tent not to share but so you have a little more room if you get stuck inside, to spread gear, etc. I had looked at the Hilleberg but they were a bit heavier. I haven't looked at the Nallo though so I'll check it out.

I would think you’d want a 4 season tent, but I don’t have any experience there, I’m sure someone else can better answer that. Barney’s would probably be a good place to ask. Chugach in October sounds COLD to me.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider

+1
f.png

tdot

WKR
I dont have experience in the Chugach, but in Northern BC, October, there wouldn't be a question aboit 4 season tent. I would absolutely take one. The chances of getting serious weather are just too great.

And also agree with the 1.5-2 man tents, especially for a 4 season tent. If its blowing and snowing, you'll want all the space you can get. By day two, you'll be thinking the 3 man might have been a better option.

Some of the Hillibergs can have the inner tent left behind. So if weather forecast looks good, you cant still take the fly for a quick overnighter or emergency.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
With what Kuiu pulled with their tents at the start I would never trust them. Ever. They may be the best thing since sliced bread now but I could never trust them. That could be a very brutal weather hunt. I have a Sawtooth but for that one I would take my Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2p.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
With what Kuiu pulled with their tents at the start I would never trust them. Ever. They may be the best thing since sliced bread now but I could never trust them. That could be a very brutal weather hunt. I have a Sawtooth but for that one I would take my Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2p.

Steve O what did they pull at the start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done a night or ten in the Chugach using these tents:

Mountain Hardware Trango 4 - There was the bad windstorm in 2013, measured winds on Hillside were a sustained 70 mph, we were up near the top chasing sheep. The stakes came free while we were out hunting and came back to the tent blown down into a creek bottom 1,000 yards away. Not the tent's fault but it was a BAD situation to come back to right at dark. It's their go climb Denali model and it would have lived if we had staked it better. It's heavy but a very trustworthy tent.

Hilleberg Akto - You can almost pitch this thing anywhere and it'll live. It isn't light but I'd take that tent anywhere without hesitation. Some guys think it's a coffin tent, it never bothered me. Only sold it because I hunt with my girls all the time now so I needed more space.

Hilleberg Nallo 3 - We have around 60 nights in the Chugach in the two we own. It's still the tent I reach for first on every trip. It's likely the tent we're using for a Brooks Range trip in April.

Big Agnes Copper Spur Expedition 2 - I used this tent last year in the Chugach for a sheep hunt. I would consider it a budget Hilleberg that won't last as long because it's a coated fabric and not impregnated like a Hille. I love having two doors, the Copper Spur layout is pretty sweet. There were a few things I wasn't a huge fan of but nothing major.

If you don't have a budget, I would run a Hilleberg. If money is a consideration, I wouldn't hesitate to use a BA Copper Spur Expedition. Definitely would net recommend the standard Copper Spur though, those have pole breakage issues in gnarly weather.

The Hilleberg Nallo and BA Copper Spur in the Chugach 2019. The Tyvek is just my gear/glassing tarp, works amazing.
72OBHTu.jpg

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent probably 40 nights in the KUIU mountain star 2P. One night in particular it was blowing a constant 40 MPH with gust that were insane. Probably 60+ Basically I didn't sleep because it was just so loud. Had all the guy lines on one side of the tent and had rocks on all the stakes. Tent performed great. The 2P is the way to go for one guy. Spend 12 strait days in the tent at one time and it was a nice comfortable shelter. Their 4 season tent is a bit heavier and if the mountain star can handle the weather it went through I would bet the Storm Star would do great.

I'm sure there are other great tents out there but I haven't tried them.

Another great option that shouldn’t be overlooked is the Stephenson’s Warmlite. They are pricey, but they’re also absolutely bombproof and pretty lightweight all things considered, plus they’re super easy to pitch. If you’re local and you’d like to check it out, I have one.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Another great option that shouldn’t be overlooked is the Stephenson’s Warmlite. They are pricey, but they’re also absolutely bombproof and pretty lightweight all things considered, plus they’re super easy to pitch. If you’re local and you’d like to check it out, I have one.

I’m in Fairbanks, I have $500 right now set aside for a tent, was planning on just spending that.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Steve O what did they pull at the start?

Used customers as R&D and sent them afield with tents that leaked like a noodle strainer. There were quite a few ticked off people. That was a long time ago but those things stick with me.

Adam Foss, if I remember correctly, has a video in one of the Hunting Film Tours about an October 14C hunt. Weather was brutal. Go proven and bombproof and the Hilleberg advice is very good. I trust my Stone Glacier for that and I’ve been on Kodiak in a November hurricane in my 8 man Kifaru.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Check out the Hillerberg Nallo 2 GT. Bombproof. Great little vestibule for all your gear and plenty of room for you and your sleep system in the main part of the tent. Best tent I’ve ever owned.