October Dall Sheep Hunt

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Hilleberg Allak which works great, its a bit heavy but I like the free standing design and the double vestibule. I got it after my tent gave up the ghost in a storm while out sheep hunting, I decided I wanted a bombproof tent. Ive spent a lot of nights so far in the hilleberg and while its not perfect, it is absolutely bombproof. Ive used it by myself and with my wife, its a bit small for 2 full sized adults but you could do it, youd be using the vestible for pretty much all of your gear. I have been in a few big rain and wind storms in the allak and it just shrugged all that off like no big deal.

I'm not sure if its the perfect sheep tent, it does weigh over 7lbs it would be great if it was just a bit smaller and more packable, I've been tempted to switch it for the stone glacier tent but one thing about the Allak that is really cool is that you can take out the inner tent part and basically have an open floor dome tent which would save considerable weight and bulk, I havn't done this yet, not sure if I will but I guess its cool that I can so I'd basically just pack the poles and fly and more or less have a really sturdy tarp set up.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Lots of Good Info thanks guys!
Like I said I have $500 cash now, am not afraid of $600, and was pretty set on the Kuiu, surprised the Hilliberg Nulato 2 is only .7 pounds more. I had set myself on 3 pounds because the two “sheep hunters” I know have 2-3 pound tents.
I’m torn a little more now.

Chugach average for October is 43*F-30*F with an average rainfall of 7.74” of rain.
Obviously there will be wind and the record low is -22*F
Keep up the info guys as I’m still looking and I hope more people can look here for info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilleberg Soulo has become my favorite tent. Hilleberg's will never be the lightest, but the advantages they have in functionality far outweighs the minimal weight savings over a lighter tent.

tdot

WKR
Chugach average for October is 43*F-30*F with an average rainfall of 7.74” of rain.
Obviously there will be wind and the record low is -22*F
Keep up the info guys as I’m still looking and I hope more people can look here for info!

Do you know the elevation/location of that weather station? How does it relate to where you are setting camp & hunting?

Weather stats and mountain ranges dont always play nice together.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Do you know the elevation/location of that weather station? How does it relate to where you are setting camp & hunting?

Weather stats and mountain ranges dont always play nice together.

That is for Chugach State Park, so I have little faith in those numbers myself, but those are from the park. I tried to talk to a park worker today who couldn’t really tell me anything except to go to the park website unfortunately.

I love the Hilleberg Nallo two man tent. Used them in NWT for dall sheep. Lots of room for one with gear. I would also look at the stone glacier Skyscaper 2 person tent. Used it in the Beartooth wilderness last year during the unlimited hunt. It was flat awesome, even with 2 guys.

tdot

WKR
That is for Chugach State Park, so I have little faith in those numbers myself, but those are from the park. I tried to talk to a park worker today who couldn’t really tell me anything except to go to the park website unfortunately.

Maybe look into the Avalanche Forecasting Center for that area. They often have much more applicable weather info for the mountains. I know there is some pretty good data for down South towards Alyeska, but I'd bet they have it for all over that range.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Chugach 14C can kick your butt. I've done mid September sheep in 14C and got hammered by the wind. First time I'd ever been blown over by a wind gust. Three days of non stop beating. Had a standard 3 season tent that barely survived.

Did October goat in 14C with a Sierra Design Omega 4 season tent. The first night out we had 50+ mph gusts. Luckily they down graded the forecast from the 70-80 mph they were calling for. You would hear the gusts roaring over the mountain top before it flattened the side of the tent. Then you would get 60 seconds before it hit you again. Easily the worst night I've spent in a tent.

Did another October goat in 14C with nighttime temp in the low 20's. Daytime highs up near 40.

My last October goat in 14C was with my Hille Nallo 3. Weather was warmer than average and rainy. The Nallo has been my go to for the last 4 years. Only down side is they don't circulate air very well which means lots of condensation.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Maybe look into the Avalanche Forecasting Center for that area. They often have much more applicable weather info for the mountains. I know there is some pretty good data for down South towards Alyeska, but I'd bet they have it for all over that range.

That’s a great idea, hadn’t thought of that. Thanks!

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Chugach 14C can kick your butt. I've done mid September sheep in 14C and got hammered by the wind. First time I'd ever been blown over by a wind gust. Three days of non stop beating. Had a standard 3 season tent that barely survived.

Did October goat in 14C with a Sierra Design Omega 4 season tent. The first night out we had 50+ mph gusts. Luckily they down graded the forecast from the 70-80 mph they were calling for. You would hear the gusts roaring over the mountain top before it flattened the side of the tent. Then you would get 60 seconds before it hit you again. Easily the worst night I've spent in a tent.

Did another October goat in 14C with nighttime temp in the low 20's. Daytime highs up near 40.

My last October goat in 14C was with my Hille Nallo 3. Weather was warmer than average and rainy. The Nallo has been my go to for the last 4 years. Only down side is they don't circulate air very well which means lots of condensation.

That’s kinda my fear and why I even started asking. I was set on the Kuiu with a part of me wanting the tipi with the wood stove but then was thinking about winds and snow potential for October. And how much heavier and wetter the snow is there. I don’t know, I am not sure I can swing up to the Hilliberg money wise. Kuiu also has their 4 season Storm Star.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Money is going to be my biggest issue, we already have a trip planned plus I have to upgrade my bow so I I’m trying to balance.

you wouldn't happen to be a veteran? Mostly all the major companies like stone glacier, sitka, first lite, kuiu all offer 15-40 percent discounts for veterans. this can help you get quality gear "cheap".

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
you wouldn't happen to be a veteran? Mostly all the major companies like stone glacier, sitka, first lite, kuiu all offer 15-40 percent discounts for veterans. this can help you get quality gear "cheap".

No sir, I am not a veteran but that is awesome that those companies offer that to them!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
One more option for you that may fit what you're looking for. Like all the tents this style it's a little cozy for 2 bigger guys but it's solid. A guide buddy of mine has been using one for awhile now.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
One more option for you that may fit what you're looking for. Like all the tents this style it's a little cozy for 2 bigger guys but it's solid. A guide buddy of mine has been using one for awhile now.

Sweet, gonna check them out now.
I do have $50 off a Kuiu purchase so that brings the tent down a bit more too if I go that route. But I am not making a purchasing decision for this hunt off that.

WCB

WKR
Could you save $500 and borrow a buddies? I can't imagine a buddy not helping out on something like this and loaning you out one.

keller

WKR
Look on general discussion rent guns n gear now open they rent kuiu tents reasonable. At least you can try it before you buy it best of luck.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Look on general discussion rent guns n gear now open they rent kuiu tents reasonable. At least you can try it before you buy it best of luck.

Never heard of that but it is a thought.

Also all my buddies have like 4+person tents that they haul on wheelers so they don't care about size or weight except the two sheep hunters and they aren’t going to loan out their sheep gear unfortunately.

Last edited: