October deer

Brough808

FNG
I have an October rifle tag here in Utah, I’m used to hunting deer in August/September with a bow so I don’t really know what the deer are doing or where they are at in October. Are they typically moving down from the high country or are they still up there? Any help or advice would be great(I’m fairly new to hunting)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you haven’t read Robby’s article on October, it’s a friggin GOLD MINE.

Jimss

WKR
Generally velvet muley bucks in August and early Sept are out in the open...at least during the early mornings and evenings. Once they shed their velvet they are an entirely different animal. The first snow can drop them down into the trees. They often go into seclusion until the rut kicks in during November. It usually takes some pretty deep snow to drop them to their wintergrounds but once they shed their velvet they generally head into the trees where they are a lot tougher to find. They usually hang out in October where they don't have to move much from security cover to feeding areas in the early and late hours of the day. Obviously this can change from 1 location to the next. High alpine bucks may be different than desert bucks vs high desert bucks vs bucks that hang out in alfalfa fields....but this is a general rule. I would rank October as the toughest month of all to hunt muley bucks in most places in Colo and Wyo. If you hunt hard you'll do fine....it will likely be a bit tougher to locate bucks in October. If you add full moon plus hot weather in the mix it can be even tougher! If you have access to lightly hunted private land with alfalfa fields it may not matter!

I’m an archery hunter for the most part but two years ago I started scouting during the rifle because I plan to hunt it some day. First I was looking into the really thick country thinking these bucks are going to be as hidden as possible. After two days of finding nothing in the thick cover I seen two does on a open quakie hillside between strips of pines so I went back to that spot the next morning and found two good bucks feeding there right out in the open. Then every morning after that there was a different group of bucks feeding out through there then as soon as the sun hit them they would literally run for the strips of pines. It’s not the answer to October obviously there’s all kinds of different conditions but it’s something to consider. Good luck!