October gear recommendation/tent and bag

Hey everyone. I am still learning some of the lingo when it comes to back pack camping. I was fortunate to draw a rifle bull tag for unit 53/New Mexico/Taos mountains from 10/17-21. Due to the ruggedness of the country I am really considering staying a night or 2 "back-in" especially if I am into elk.

For those who have done such especially that time of year, what specs are you looking for in sleeping bags, 1-2 person tents, is a hot tent necessary, etc?

From what I can tell, most of the hunting will be 10k-12k feet. I understand snow is not a definite however very possible.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think if you do a forum search on here you'll find a bunch of threads on this very topic. Enough to keep you entertained for quite a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like a wood stove in a floorless shelter at anytime of the year. I use a Kifaru Tut but there are many quality shelter brands. I’ve used both Ti Goat and Seek Outside stoves and both are top notch. If the weather turns wet it’s sure nice to be able to dry gear and clothes in your shelter. In the summer I use an ultra light air mat ( forget the name but it was expensive as hell, saving ounces = $$$). Late season and winter camping
8ae8df4f3eb3a81d3da9c890472007cd.jpg

the Exped 5 mat gets the nod. The Enlightened Inigma 0*F quilt is the go to bag year round. There are as many options and opinions as there are hunters, this is the system that works for me wether for spring bear, summer fishing, late season sheep or winter camping.
336d5dbd61791ca4cc8d9615af04bb81.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: