October gear recommendation/tent and bag

Hey everyone. I am still learning some of the lingo when it comes to back pack camping. I was fortunate to draw a rifle bull tag for unit 53/New Mexico/Taos mountains from 10/17-21. Due to the ruggedness of the country I am really considering staying a night or 2 "back-in" especially if I am into elk.

For those who have done such especially that time of year, what specs are you looking for in sleeping bags, 1-2 person tents, is a hot tent necessary, etc?

From what I can tell, most of the hunting will be 10k-12k feet. I understand snow is not a definite however very possible.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My experience weather can vary greatly in October from warm clear days to extreme winter weather. I like to have a 0 to maybe 10 degree bag usually, I’ve run 2 man hillebergs and tipis in October prefer a teepe for the added stove.

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are only planning on staying 1 or 2 nights, you could save some weight and pack a floor-less shelter with a footprint. You shouldn't need a stove in New Mexico in October. We would recommend taking a look at the SkyAir ULT and the SkyAir ULT Footprint. We have had great luck with the Stone Glacier sleeping bags. The Chilkoot 0 degree sleeping bag would be our top choice for that hunt.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Done a few that time of year and the first I froze my ass of🤩 best to have too much warmth than not enough get a zero degree bag...as to hot tent or not individual choice but it ain’t september with long daylight days and big warmups....would gauge percentages and weather history to make that decision. Nothing like a warm tent in the backcountry for both comfort and the mental aspect when you throw Mother Nature in the mix.