October Mule Deer Montana

Me and my buddy are doing a southeast Montana mule deer hunt the last 2 weeks of October. I’m curious on different strategies to find bucks, I’m of the opinion this is a tough time of year. Our current plan is to maximize morning and evening hunts as that appears to be the highest movement times. Do you feel they will still be in timber? Will they be looking for water and food? Should we focus on high elevation in forests? We plan to hike in the dark to be set up for mornings, then spend the day hiking and glassing hoping to get lucky, and then be set up for an evening. I suppose if all else fails we can ambush some river bottom white tails.

The strategy you laid out seems decent to me. Like you mentioned, getting to your glassing spot in the dark is important as you maximize your glassing time when the deer are on their feet the longest. Once they bed down the chances of finding them plummet, especially a lone buck. As far as where the deer are I’ve seen them everywhere from sage flats to timbered coulees so can’t really help you there haha. If you walk carefully enough, glass hard, and ain’t too picky on buck size you should be okay.

I don’t know of any high elevation forests in southeastern Montana. I can tell you in western Montana that’s not where they are. They are lower.

But…. In western Wyoming they are way up top. So you’ll have to figure that out.

Glassing like your life depends on it is the name of the game for mule deer. Your hunt is pre rut but getting close so I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw some movement mid day.

If you get a chance I’d talk to some locals to try to find out the preferences of the deer in the area you’re hunting. That’d be priceless. Good luck!

Me and my buddy are doing a southeast Montana mule deer hunt the last 2 weeks of October. I’m curious on different strategies to find bucks, I’m of the opinion this is a tough time of year. Our current plan is to maximize morning and evening hunts as that appears to be the highest movement times. Do you feel they will still be in timber? Will they be looking for water and food? Should we focus on high elevation in forests? We plan to hike in the dark to be set up for mornings, then spend the day hiking and glassing hoping to get lucky, and then be set up for an evening. I suppose if all else fails we can ambush some river bottom white tails.

Eastern MT and high elevation?

I can tell you in western Montana that’s not where they are. They are lower.

*if you know how to hunt them they're over here in western Montana. Gonna be wayyyyyy harder than an Eastern mt hunt but ive seen mule deer over here where you wouldnt expect them

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
How are you hunting the last two weeks? Season doesn't open until Oct 22.
Maybe he's getting an early start 😁

Definitely not any high elevation in SE MT. South Central has high elevation so I guess it depends on how far west of SE you are hunting.

There are trees, in some areas, but not "timber" in the same respect that most folks refer to bucks "being in the timber". That's usually a reference to bucks dropping out of their summer range of alpine country back into the timber, at least that's what I think of.

In eastern Montana the deer are just there, bigger bucks staying as much out of sight as possible until the rut prompts them to lose part of their senses, like any big buck. Also, "big buck" is a relative term, especially in Montana. :)

For most dudes its the first 3x3 they see driving the road...

[This is not a brag at all, just recounting a story.] In 2020 my buddy and I had tagged out and were sitting on the tailgate shirtless drinking beers on a sunny warm November day (Election Day in fact), and two separate groups of road hunters pulled over to talk with us. They saw our two 140-150 inch deer and were in disbelief. Thought they were giants, etc. This one suburban had 5 dudes from Wisconsin in it. I always say Trump would have won Wisconsin except everyone was in MT hunting.

Rich M

WKR
I drove thru part of SE MT in 2017 - was grassy, rolling hills far as I could see. Lotsa deer, just lotsa grass. Was in WY hunting antelope and decided to check out MT.

jimh406

WKR
Find the big groups of does. The bucks will eventually be with them if for only a pass to see if any are receptive.

ewade07

WKR
[This is not a brag at all, just recounting a story.] In 2020 my buddy and I had tagged out and were sitting on the tailgate shirtless drinking beers on a sunny warm November day (Election Day in fact), and two separate groups of road hunters pulled over to talk with us. They saw our two 140-150 inch deer and were in disbelief. Thought they were giants, etc. This one suburban had 5 dudes from Wisconsin in it. I always say Trump would have won Wisconsin except everyone was in MT hunting.
Sounds pretty typical. One year my brother and I were hauling out one of the 2 deer we had shot earlier that day, walking the road back in the dark. I had shot this goofy looking cactus buck and he had shot a real nice buck, I think he scored it at 177". As these two dudes roll up to us on their UTV I turn to my brother and say "These guys are gonna sh*t when the see that buck on your back". Sure enough, the first words we hear are "HOLY F***! Look at that deer!" It was a really nice deer though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's actually plenty of timber in Southeast Montana; high elevation.......... not so much :D

Southeast Montana is a big area (really big); not sure where you're hunting, but if it happens to be National Forest or big blocks of BLM- look carefully at your maps and find areas that cannot be accessed by vehicle. They'll be a ton a guys beating the roads, don't be those guys- find areas off the beaten path.