October Rifle Elk in Colorado

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all... I was a colorado resident for years and typically elk hunted the later seasons with rifle. This will be the first year that I will be going 1st rifle season. I will be going in Southern Colorado in some wilderness area and am interested in any pointers you'd all have for that time of year. Suggestions on 1. Locating Bulls 2. Using calls 3. Elevation and terrain features I should target. Etc etc I would greatly appreciate any help you would be willing to offer. Thanks in advance.

ScottP

WKR
Go early if you can to scout, it’s a short season. In my time there they’d still be bugling first day of season but seemed to quiet quickly after the guns started. I bugled in a bull for my wife a few years ago, so never hurts to have your calls along.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Go early if you can to scout, it’s a short season. In my time there they’d still be bugling first day of season but seemed to quiet quickly after the guns started. I bugled in a bull for my wife a few years ago, so never hurts to have your calls along.
Thank you. I plan to carry the tube and I'll be getting in there a day or 2 early. Unfortunately, I now live in Iowa so I won't get boots on the ground before then.....

Go early and glass up some elk so you hit the ground running on opening day. They are still up pretty high during 1st rifle, often still in their September hang outs. Have had pretty heavy snow the last few years, for at least a day or two, make sure you have your cold weather gear. Elk don't seem to pack up and head lower yet as result, still lots of browse up high in the wilderness areas.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Go early and glass up some elk so you hit the ground running on opening day. They are still up pretty high during 1st rifle, often still in their September hang outs. Have had pretty heavy snow the last few years, for at least a day or two, make sure you have your cold weather gear. Elk don't seem to pack up and head lower yet as result, still lots of browse up high in the wilderness areas.
Thank you man... great stuff. I'll spend my first day or 2 before season trying to find em. Do I need to fear blowing them out before I can legally take a shot? I cut my teeth on hunting with a longbow so I move quiet and play the scent game fairly well.

Thank you man... great stuff. I'll spend my first day or 2 before season trying to find em. Do I need to fear blowing them out before I can legally take a shot? I cut my teeth on hunting with a longbow so I move quiet and play the scent game fairly well.
I typically will stay way up high, and keep back over a ridge, I wouldn't go into a basin, or even get too close to one that I know holds elk at all until opening morning. I typically just try and get a sense of what the herds are doing, and which ones have target bulls in them to pay special attention to, and try and see where they are when the sun goes down. I wouldn't do anything that might disturb their patterns. You know the drill hunting with a stick bow.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I typically will stay way up high, and keep back over a ridge, I wouldn't go into a basin, or even get too close to one that I know holds elk at all until opening morning. I typically just try and get a sense of what the herds are doing, and which ones have target bulls in them to pay special attention to, and try and see where they are when the sun goes down. I wouldn't do anything that might disturb their patterns. You know the drill hunting with a stick bow.
Got it. That's what I figured. Hopefully I'll be able to get an idea with a day or so beforehand.

Hey all... I was a colorado resident for years and typically elk hunted the later seasons with rifle. This will be the first year that I will be going 1st rifle season. I will be going in Southern Colorado in some wilderness area and am interested in any pointers you'd all have for that time of year. Suggestions on 1. Locating Bulls 2. Using calls 3. Elevation and terrain features I should target. Etc etc I would greatly appreciate any help you would be willing to offer. Thanks in advance.
Shot my bugling bull on October 20th last year. There was a decent amount of snow and they were still acting like September.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Shot my bugling bull on October 20th last year. There was a decent amount of snow and they were still acting like September.
That's interesting, never heard a single bugle last year first rifle for me in northern central colorado. Hoping to hear some bugle this year, though im in a different area.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
@enbhunts serves you right for running your mouth ya know... last time I come to your rescue. Next time I just let all the good ol boys on rokslide come to my defense and feast on your fresh blood 🤣

I'm a a new CO hunter trying to glean knowledge where he can before going on a similar hunt, good info and I appreciate others putting it out there for the community.