October WY Muley Hunt Clothing

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
All,

Just wanted to get another opinion on which clothing I should add to my arsenal for the upcoming October rifle season in Wyoming; we will be hunting the second week if that makes a difference. I've hunted both Oregon and Colorado for Archery elk, but this will be my first October hunt out west. Also would like to add that through my place of employment I receive a discount on FL clothing, hence why that is what I have primarily, and what I would like to focus on moving forward as well.

Tops:
Wick long sleeve
Kiln 1/4 Zip
Klamath grid hoodie
Cirrus Ultralight Puffy

Bottoms:
Fuse long johns
Obsidian pants
Corrugate guide pants
Uncompahgre puffy pants

The items I am planning to add are the Uncompahgre 2.0 puffy, as I understand it is quite a bit warmer than the Cirrus, and probably the kiln long johns as well. I have cabelas rain gear that does the job if necessary, so not too concerned about that either. Thank you for the help!

LaHunter

WKR
Temps can range from 60s down to single digits, depending on the weather and elevation you will be hunting. Also, your activity level will dictate how much clothing you need. While I’m covering ground I usually have a light base layer on my top and bottom. Attack pants and maybe a fleece pullover on top if it’s pretty cold or windy.

mlgc20

WKR
Elevation matters and activity level matters. You don't mention if you backpacking or going from the truck each morning. If going from the truck, then yeah take it all. If you're backpacking, I think you are into overkill on the pants. You won't need 2 different kinds of pants, 2 different long johns, puffy pants, and rain pants. I would pick one of the pants, one of the long johns, leave the puffy pants and bring the rain pants. Obviously, watch the forecast and make any last minute adjustments. I've spent quite a bit of time in Wyoming in October between 6K-8K. I've never taken my puffy pants on those trips and never needed them. If you are going to be at 10K, then the answer might be different. And again, if you're hunting from your truck, bring all you have and decide at the trail.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, we are planning on setting up a base camp and either hiking from there or driving the truck to a jump-off point and day hunting out of there, which will give a lot more flexibility in not having to pack each article of clothing. Elevation will be depending on where the deer are at, but am looking at everything from 8.5k up to 10k.