Odd finds while in the field

DoubleMM

FNG
I was duck hunting in the swamps of South Alabama. Nothing but water and mud for miles in any direction looked down and saw a what I thought was a rock. I dug it out of the mud and it was a perfect tomahawk head or Celt.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Just one... fast and with little suffering had. I feel many others agree with this.
So not really much detail there but I’m guessing this is one of those touchy-feely moments in which you speak. It may bother some people to know there are not too many good quick deaths in nature. But that is the truth.
There’s starvation. Eaten alive by predators. Injury or old age that leads to starvation or dehydration, etc. Being shot by rifle or bow is no worse than any of the other ways to die in my humble opinion. Even if death takes a few moments.
Bottom line, there is no ‘easy’ death, generally speaking.

Finch

WKR
That antler handle knife is interesting and kinda looks homemade. Can I ask what region you found it in? Any writing or markings on it?
Should have taken the pic on the other side. It has Uncle Henry on the handle. Found in VA.

20220215_203208.jpg

Stumbled across an old bison horn core when the creeks we're real low in Iowa.
6a4d37955fe0e5458ee67d01b4636cb6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Zappaman

WKR
So not really much detail there but I’m guessing this is one of those touchy-feely moments in which you speak. It may bother some people to know there are not too many good quick deaths in nature. But that is the truth.
There’s starvation. Eaten alive by predators. Injury or old age that leads to starvation or dehydration, etc. Being shot by rifle or bow is no worse than any of the other ways to die in my humble opinion. Even if death takes a few moments.
Bottom line, there is no ‘easy’ death, generally speaking.
Never said there was an "easy death" (your words not mine)... but I do not like to see an animal or human suffer (death or no death at the end). No touchy feely (also your words), but a basic respect for life and when I take it I do so as quickly as possible-- I'd call that an "ethical" standpoint. But you can call it whatever you want.

Not sure why you're barking up my tree here.

Toledo

FNG
Old mason jar with something tied up in a piece of cloth inside. Curiosity got the better of me. Figured it was either weed or a human finger. Turned out to be what looked like crows feathers tied up extra tight in the cloth.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
2db1241310ed6cf280599a5466d0a2b2.jpg

Found this elk hunting a couple years ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Came across an old logging camp in Northern WI. Stones from foundations and, hidden by raspberry canes, grass, sticks and leaves, a hole that was about eight feet deep and I guess was a root cellar. It was naturally hidden pretty well. Almost like a pit trap

ALF

Lil-Rokslider
I was out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota shooting prairie dogs, and spied a piece of plywood in the dog town, Flipped it over and it was the Valentine Nebraska city limits sign.

Brought it home & put it in the garage.

bofishil

FNG
I don't have a photo but while mushroom hunting I happen to look up and a buck's skeleton was hung up in some branches of a tree. This was like 15 feet off the ground. There was a rock bluff nearby, so I thought he might have jumped from the Bluff but who knows. It was actually a nice rack on the skull but bleached white, so it had been there for years.

I’ve found some pretty cool stuff while I have been in the woods. A lot of the stuff I found was in my earlier years while cutting logs. Most of the stuff I never took a picture of . Between a saw, gas and bar oil and everything else I needed to carry,a camera wasn’t real high priority. I was cutting right of way down in Mt Pleasant, Utah one summer and found some real cool carvings in the aspen patches. Pretty sure that I found Kit Carson’s name carved in one. I left it there, standing. I cut this one out because it was in the road section.

Attachments

• 3212D969-3841-4C45-B917-6B0874E42917.jpeg
    3212D969-3841-4C45-B917-6B0874E42917.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 61