Odd question was asked before setting up a interview from a manager?

Elite

WKR
So I had a manager of a large corporation call me wanting to set up a interview, But his first few words were a little different then I have had in the past, He basically first came out and said on the phone. “Not sure if you are serious about this job or just testing the waters” I am definitely very interested in this job which I explained to him. But I am not sure how to take why he said that or said it right away? I guess if I was under qualified for it he maybe wouldn’t of said it? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
With Covid there's been a lot of qualified people out there questioning what they have been doing and wondering about changing paths. I see it all over the place and talk to people about it so maybe he's had a lot of inquiries that go nowhere. Just go with it.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
What's the job and what is your background? Any number of reasons he could have said that, including maybe he wants to try to sell you out of it/see what kind of mettle you have. Could be a job where he has had many people come and then leave within a year, maybe he has had people come into the job only to realize it wasn't what they thought it was. Lots of reasons, most of which wouldn't have anything to do with you personally, so don't take it that way. Also, for a big corporation it is odd you weren't contacted by a corporate recruiter or recruiting coordinator to set up the interview with the hiring manager....this is also a good example of how most managers don't know what they are doing when it comes to interviewing or hiring people, despite the fact that they think they know everything.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
At that point I would have pushed the End Call on my phone. Sounds like a real dick to me. But that's jut me.

So I had a manager of a large corporation call me wanting to set up a interview, But his first few words were a little different then I have had in the past, He basically first came out and said on the phone. “Not sure if you are serious about this job or just testing the waters” I am definitely very interested in this job which I explained to him. But I am not sure how to take why he said that or said it right away? I guess if I was under qualified for it he maybe wouldn’t of said it? Any suggestions?

My company has interviewed numerous candidates who were not serious. Some fooled us and we hired them only to be ghosted on their starting date. Too many people being paid to stay hope sucking off the government teat. He just said what we'd all like to know...are you wasting my time or do you actually wanna work?

A perfect answer would have been, "I am seeking a position that utilizes my talents, challenges me with room to grow with the company, increase my income and become a respected and integral member. I'm not interested in collecting paychecks and hating my job. Does that answer your question sir?"

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Could be a number of reasons ranging from under qualified to over qualified. If they called you to set up an interview, they are interested in you regardless so just do the interview.

What's the job and what is your background? Any number of reasons he could have said that, including maybe he wants to try to sell you out of it/see what kind of mettle you have. Could be a job where he has had many people come and then leave within a year, maybe he has had people come into the job only to realize it wasn't what they thought it was. Lots of reasons, most of which wouldn't have anything to do with you personally, so don't take it that way. Also, for a big corporation it is odd you weren't contacted by a corporate recruiter or recruiting coordinator to set up the interview with the hiring manager....this is also a good example of how most managers don't know what they are doing when it comes to interviewing or hiring people, despite the fact that they think they know everything.

This.

Also, with linkedIn and all the recruiters out there today, there's a whole bunch of folks perpetually testing the waters to see if the grass is greener. You could do it without any effort just by responding to recruiters sending linkedIn messages.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR

The job was for a oil and gas plant operator and it was the manager for the plant that called, I do have background that relates directly to the job and currently work in a plant and have about 11 years total experience. I just found it odd that he asked me that because my resume doesn’t show me switching jobs often at all. Maybe it’s a positive thing and he is thinking I am well qualified for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
The job was for a oil and gas plant operator and it was the manager for the plant that called, I do have background that relates directly to the job and currently work in a plant and have about 11 years total experience. I just found it odd that he asked me that because my resume doesn’t show me switching jobs often at all. Maybe it’s a positive thing and he is thinking I am well qualified for it?

Maybe he is afraid you might just be looking for huge payday, and if it doesn't pan out that you stay put. Lots of folks interview just to swing for the fences $$, but are otherwise happy and dont really want to learn new systems, people, and processes. Has comp come up yet or did you list your desired salary on your application?

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
You're reading way too much into it. He could have asked for any number of reasons.

Maybe they had it posted previously, made an offer, and someone backed out. Employers get tired of going through the interview process then having folks flake out on them. It happens quite a bit.

sndmn11

WKR
I would ask him at the interview as close to the start as possible. If it is a great position but they haven't found the right "fit" then you will know in the answer and it will help you in addressing those issues directly. If it is a company issue where good people bailed, your bullshit detector will let you know to "thanks, but no thanks".

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Maybe he is afraid you might just be looking for huge payday, and if it doesn't pan out that you stay put. Lots of folks interview just to swing for the fences $$, but are otherwise happy and dont really want to learn new systems, people, and processes. Has comp come up yet or did you list your desired salary on your application?

That’s a good point, Salary wasn’t talked about no but it’s all pretty generic for most plant operators it seems from company to company

In my unqualified opinion, the fact you have been somewhere for 11 years is almost a flag, nobody seems to do that anymore.

They are likely wondering if you are just testing the waters and are wanting to know if you are actually serious about the job before they put much effort into you.

Give them an honest response, if you are only interested in it for higher pay tell them that. But say you are looking for higher pay for what you can bring to the table and you are a serious candidate.

CorbLand

WKR

Could be that he is saying "why would this guy leave some place he has been for 11 years?" Regardless, I will give you that its a weird way to start a call but if your interested do the interview. Your not wasting their time if your interested.

I have heard/heard of dumber things said/asked in interviews.

hobbes

WKR
In most interviews, you aren't necessarily given the chance to ask much at the beginning. Your opportunity will likely be at the end. I've been in interviews where I knew before it was over that I had reservations about the job or at least reservations about the folks interviewing me based on their interaction. My questions for them usually confirmed it. It must have been obvious because they didn't make an offer.

Do your best in the interview and ask appropriate questions. You aren't obligated regardless.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I am an Operations Manager for a combined cycle power plant, I do the hiring for our operator positions. I see it every time I have a job listing, someone with a "background" in the industry will apply for an entry level operator position and when I call them or email them I will get one of two responses:
1. I see its an entry level job, I've been a control room operator for 10+ years. I'm not interested (why the heck did you send me your resume then!)
2. they will wait until they get an interview and then tell me they are not interested due to pay. (the starting pay and benefits were listed in the job ad).
I definitely feel like asking people if they are serious or just testing the waters but I don't actually say those words.

I wouldn’t over think it. I agree with the other posters who think it’s because the company has been burned by other recent hires/interviews