Odd question was asked before setting up a interview from a manager?

Dirtbag

WKR
I have worked in the private power sector for many years. It has been common lately to get people fishing to see if they can get a little more, but they aren't interested in actually relocating for similar or slightly better compensation.
Millennials in particular have been an issue. After going through the entire process applicant's turn down offers because they think they're magically better than their experience and training reflect.
Is this really an "issue"? I don't really see a problem with millennials or any generation inquiring about bettering their situation and rejecting it if it doesn't suit their lifestyle choice. If employers really were so frustrated with dealing with rejected offers, they'd start making their descriptions more detailed with their nonnegotiable terms.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of entitled people around, but I think people should determine what their worth is and go find an employer that feels the same. I've turned down offers after going through the process. If the door of opportunity opens you should at least take a peek at what's on the other side and if grass isn't greener I don't feel a bit obligated to walk through said door.

Donjuan

WKR
I had 3 hours of interviews set aside for an office manager. The appointments and times were clearly agreed upon. 2 people no showed me so I don't blame someone for asking

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Is this really an "issue"? I don't really see a problem with millennials or any generation inquiring about bettering their situation and rejecting it if it doesn't suit their lifestyle choice. If employers really were so frustrated with dealing with rejected offers, they'd start making their descriptions more detailed with their nonnegotiable terms.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of entitled people around, but I think people should determine what their worth is and go find an employer that feels the same. I've turned down offers after going through the process. If the door of opportunity opens you should at least take a peek at what's on the other side and if grass isn't greener I don't feel a bit obligated to walk through said door.
We all get new jobs to better our lives, but there's a big difference between getting someone who is fully qualified, and wants a better package, and a candidate who thinks they qualify and want the same pay as the most qualified on the site.

Dirtbag

WKR
We all get new jobs to better our lives, but there's a big difference between getting someone who is fully qualified, and wants a better package, and a candidate who thinks they qualify and want the same pay as the most qualified on the site.
Employers have the right to hire and reject candidates the same as employees reserve the right to name their price for their time and effort. Employment is a negotiation and a two way street.

I’ve been on both sides of hiring negotiations. If you think they are overpriced, that’s fine but neither party is at fault.

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
So I had a manager of a large corporation call me wanting to set up a interview, But his first few words were a little different then I have had in the past, He basically first came out and said on the phone. “Not sure if you are serious about this job or just testing the waters” I am definitely very interested in this job which I explained to him. But I am not sure how to take why he said that or said it right away? I guess if I was under qualified for it he maybe wouldn’t of said it? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well i have a quick answer to why....it is because people everyday now apply and never show up for the interview. I run a fairly large business and we line up interviews everyday and people just don't show up for the interview. You go through the time to apply and take the invitation to the interview and then don't show up???? That is probably what has happened to the manager more than once.

CorbLand

WKR
I ended up getting a offer For it! Sounds like the manager was annoyed by people wasting his time like a few people said, thanks everyone

Congratulations.

Opah

WKR
I have cast a net before, wanting to test the waters, sent out 10 resumes to see how many responded and with what kind of enthusiasm.
I am sure with this covid crap there are many professional people thinking about moving up on the food chain but want to test the waters first.

Testing the waters has become highly suggested online. I once saw someone say you should be doing interviews every 6 months to test what other opportunities and salaries are trending in your field, and should either take the increases or use them as bargaining chips for more money.

Personally, I have no mythical belief that I need to be loyal to my company. They need me to do work, I need them to pay me for work. However, I find this constant moving/bargaining/interviewing for new positions concept unbecoming.

I have been offered a job and then stayed at my current company when the matched it, I’m sure that was very frustrating for the company I interviewed with but I did not expect that to happen and it surely wasn’t planned. Perhaps this hiring manager has experienced a run of that.

Congrats on the job!

prm

WKR
I suspect that question is directed more to the broader audience of applicants than to you individually. He just gave you something to address in an interview. In fact, it offers you something to lead off with in the interview. Easy. Edit: just saw you got an offer. Congrats!

Yarak

WKR
Sounds like he’s been burned on a few potential hires and/or interviews and didn’t want to waste your time or his

jlh42581

WKR
99% of jobs dont even list a salary range. My wife applied for one recently they could see on the resume she has 15 years of experience dealing with insurance. The starting wage was an insult. They couldve saved everyones time being up front before the application hit the desk about the salary range.

Employers and managers have been sucking people dry for decades raking in massive bonuses and salaries while other people do the work and make shit money. Do you guys really expect most of us to believe you can fork out $20k a year in tags yet you dont have a swimming pool full of money like mcduck? I make six figures and cant run what some of you do in a year in ten. Even if I did I certainly dont have the vacation time either. You can blow sunshine up most peoples dress but you aint blowing it up mine :D

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So I had a manager of a large corporation call me wanting to set up a interview, But his first few words were a little different then I have had in the past, He basically first came out and said on the phone. “Not sure if you are serious about this job or just testing the waters” I am definitely very interested in this job which I explained to him. But I am not sure how to take why he said that or said it right away? I guess if I was under qualified for it he maybe wouldn’t of said it? Any suggestions?

I've hired over 100 people in my career and we get real tired of tire kickers and only want to talk to people who really want to work. I don't get paid to help people figure out what they want in life, I want them to want the job before I invest one more second, and just because they applied doesn't mean much.

That's how I'd take it and nothing more.

Good luck!

“Not sure if you are serious about this job or just testing the waters”

Any suggestions?

I would have replied "that depends on what I think about the interview. Not sure if your serious about me or if you're just testing the waters".

I've hired over 100 people in my career and we get real tired of tire kickers and only want to talk to people who really want to work. I don't get paid to help people figure out what they want in life, I want them to want the job before I invest one more second, and just because they applied doesn't mean much.

That's how I'd take it and nothing more.

Good luck!
That's funny. You do get paid to help them figure out what they want in life. If you're a turd of a boss, they won't stick around and you helped them figure that out.

Econ 101...