Odd Question

RANGER3BN

FNG
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have always received what I thought was solid advice pertaining to tactics and equipment on this site and thought I would pose a question regarding a positive situation my son was recently thrust in however we have no idea on how to property handle. My son MAY (it has not been officially scored) have killed the State record non-typical for a youth. This information comes from what I consider reliable sources but has not been vetted based on not yet having an official score and also it seems you cannot specifically narrow down records in the Buckeye Big Buck Club records by hunter age. We have been contacted by a number of people claiming associations with top name organizations for interviews but we have no experience in this matter. I want what's best for my son (as any father would) and figured the best course of action would be to wait until after an official score has been collected and the season comes to a close (you just never know). Any advice from those who have been in the limelight would be appreciated.

No idea how to handle that, but congrats! That's a sweet deer! Whatever happens, I hope it helps him love hunting... Seems like the limelight and the industry has a tendency to sour some experiences

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
R

RANGER3BN

FNG
No idea how to handle that, but congrats! That's a sweet deer! Whatever happens, I hope it helps him love hunting... Seems like the limelight and the industry has a tendency to sour some experiences

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jake
Excellent point. My son is a terrific kid and is incredibly excited however I don't think he truly comprehends what has happened.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
congrats to him!!!!!!

although i have never been in that situtaion with a trophy animal.....

it seems your gut feeling as a father is to wait till it gets officially scored etc. "not counting the chickens before they hatch" as they say where i come from. And as a father of a son as well, i think you should follow your gut feelings as a dad

I don't have kids, but I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
I'd have it mounted for xmas and let him brag it up locally all he wants.
Being humble is an endearing trait and I'd guess he may swing the other way, if it got to much attention.

He can always add it to the book in later yrs.
Unless you cant afford him the gear he needs and there gonna give him a bunch.

OP
R

RANGER3BN

FNG
Being humble is an endearing trait and I'd guess he may swing the other way, if it got to much attention.

BRT
I would like to think we have and will continue to raise him right and he has always displayed a competitive but humble spirit. The kid loves to hunt, it's been exciting for me to see his progression. I now have to also reiterate this is not the norm and you have accomplished something most have to wait a very long time to achieve....if ever.

I think it depends on the kid, I haven't had a situation like this but I have 3 kids. For my middle child (only daughter) the lime light would be a huge bonus on things. She soaks in praise and attention and it fuels her. She has taught herself gymnastics moves, dance, and thrives on All of it!

My oldest would be mortified, at first he would like it, but he would second guess it, he would think he stumbled over words or something else, or he would worry about people talking about things.

My biggest suggestion would be if you choose to allow him to do an interview or article, limit if to one or two, and do not allow him to read comments on any sites.

Someone will always claim it was poached, or roadkill, or whatever. There are always haters!

Also know that there is a huge black market for deer heads, and putting yourself out there with a large non typical deer could make your home a target for burglary.

BRT
I would like to think we have and will continue to raise him right and he has always displayed a competitive but humble spirit. The kid loves to hunt, it's been exciting for me to see his progression. I now have to also reiterate this is not the norm and you have accomplished something most have to wait a very long time to achieve....if ever.

Hmmm guess I just cant relate 😭 I've never even harvested a book minimum.
But what is the draw to even entering it? Bragging rites or free stuff? Honestly I know that sounds like a dick question but I'm asking with sincerity you view. To me it's a personal accomplishment.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why rush it? It can always be officially scored and entered later

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Ok, I’ll be the jerk then.

What constitutes a “youth” record? Is it one of those deals where dad catches a fish off the front of a $40K bass boat and the kid reels it in? Or a kid with a back pack of peanut butter crackers and a Yoo-hoo catches a fish on a Zebco he saved his allowance for on a neighbors farm pond while mom watches from the kitchen window?

Is it on Facebook yet?

Sorry dude. I’ve seen how this shit pans out. Dad vs. dad vs. look at me. Mighta seen a young lad myself “loves to hunt” which meant pulling a trigger. Which in turn meant: never eating a thing, won’t touch a blade, won’t clean up, won’t help wrap, bitched because he couldn’t go out that evening for “another one”, “missed” what he and “dad” perceived as a doe....you know, to get that next buck tag...only to “happen” to find it the next day. Oh, but it was “rotten”. But let’s check “this one” on “that guy’s tag” and we can “getcha a big one”. Pile of dead squirrels? Oh, can’t eat that. Shot a rat bear? Nope, don’t eat that either. Plenty of pics on Facebook though.

And on and on....

Worst example of that crap I ever saw was CEO video of a “dad” fussing at a kid to hurry up and get outta the truck to take a crack at a “buck”....evidently little Johnie was almost asleep and didn’t even have his boots on when he jumped out. Those damn robo-deer have to be shot several times before the fall over.

Anyway....yeah, I’m acting like a dick. Fingers crossed you’re not “that guy”

Poser

WKR
While I’d consider something such letting the state DNR use some images for their publications, I believe I’d reject anything from the hunting industry or hunting related media. I don’t think the kid has anything to gain from it and that only leaves more room for it to have a negative effect.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
It is certainly an accomplishment and to each his own, but I personally would never enter anything in the books. I would get it scored but would never enter it in any clubs or books. It is just not my style.

IdahoElk

WKR
Congrats to a awesome buck!

^^Thanks for the great response.

My friends 15yr old son shot a 210" Mule deer this year basically driving a dirt road behind his house,now there's a procession of people coming to his house to see this deer and the kid doesn't comprehend the big fuss over it because he hasn't become obsessed with antler scores.
I think in this instance teaching humility would be better then being used as promotion material from someone try to make money.

Rich M

WKR
Congratulations! I hope the buck scores enough to be the record.

Insure it for $2 million in case it gets stolen and have the rack molded and a replica or two made. Sell the rack and invest the money towards your son's future. Let a financial advisor (a good one) do the investing and money management.

Ok, I’ll be the jerk then.

What constitutes a “youth” record? Is it one of those deals where dad catches a fish off the front of a $40K bass boat and the kid reels it in? Or a kid with a back pack of peanut butter crackers and a Yoo-hoo catches a fish on a Zebco he saved his allowance for on a neighbors farm pond while mom watches from the kitchen window?

Is it on Facebook yet?

Sorry dude. I’ve seen how this shit pans out. Dad vs. dad vs. look at me. Mighta seen a young lad myself “loves to hunt” which meant pulling a trigger. Which in turn meant: never eating a thing, won’t touch a blade, won’t clean up, won’t help wrap, bitched because he couldn’t go out that evening for “another one”, “missed” what he and “dad” perceived as a doe....you know, to get that next buck tag...only to “happen” to find it the next day. Oh, but it was “rotten”. But let’s check “this one” on “that guy’s tag” and we can “getcha a big one”. Pile of dead squirrels? Oh, can’t eat that. Shot a rat bear? Nope, don’t eat that either. Plenty of pics on Facebook though.

And on and on....

Worst example of that crap I ever saw was CEO video of a “dad” fussing at a kid to hurry up and get outta the truck to take a crack at a “buck”....evidently little Johnie was almost asleep and didn’t even have his boots on when he jumped out. Those damn robo-deer have to be shot several times before the fall over.

Anyway....yeah, I’m acting like a dick. Fingers crossed you’re not “that guy”
I'm curious: why would any of that be suspected or assumed??

Really, who do you think that last line applies to?