Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed if we want in it’s in our best interest to help. Do I want to say piss off and let them figure it out......absolutely. The United States has been letting our neighbors to the North in since the pandemic started. On top of that the US received such harsh judgment and criticism from the Canadian government on how we handled things. Case counts and rate of infections where so high. Now here we are a year later and the PM is figuring out the longer you lock people in their house and don’t allow antibodies to develop, you have only prolonged the inevitable.

If helping with vaccine gets me in to hunt I am all for it. Like you said it pays for itself 10 fold. What it also does is in a nice neighborly way says........who’s the a**hole now!

I work in health care and we were sitting down in a group talking about vaccinations rates and how the governments where determining what restrictions could be lifted.

To put it in perspective Canada is saying they need 75 percent initial shots in arms to begin lifting any kind of lock down restrictions. If vaccination rates stay at the same rate they are at now. That’s about 250k per day(estimate) it will take till week of July 5 to get 75% single dose vaccination. To me that would put the earliest they would consider lifting any kind of restrictions being after the Aug 21 deadline.

If I am a betting man the first wave will be family and a broadening of essential travel. After that they would consider others. The study showing if vaccinated individuals transmit (likelyhood is low but official study is months out) will not be out until end of Aug/Sep. So unless there is a major uptick in vaccinations the window is looking tight and not on the positive side for us.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I’m so glad I’m not a Canadian. That would be terrible.

The world is opening up. Vaccines are increasing. Yet Canada keeps its citizens in fear. It is allowing another year in the tourism sector to be ruined. The Yukon is allowing fully vaccinated citizens to cross in to its province but Doug Ford says that opening international borders is wrong because its a huge risk for virus transmission.

You are absolutely right......it would be terrible.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The world is opening up. Vaccines are increasing. Yet Canada keeps its citizens in fear. It is allowing another year in the tourism sector to be ruined. The Yukon is allowing fully vaccinated citizens to cross in to its province but Doug Ford says that opening international borders is wrong because its a huge risk for virus transmission.

You are absolutely right......it would be terrible.

I find it hilarious how a few months ago, even right here on rokslide Canadians were talking trash about America because of the covid stuff. Now look..

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I find it hilarious how a few months ago, even right here on rokslide Canadians were talking trash about America because of the covid stuff. Now look..

I also find it hilarious we are helping with vaccines now and allowing them to go north out of our Pfizer plant and we will also be sending more AstraZeneca. Even with that each time someone from US government talks about border reopening it’s met with such sharp tongued criticism. Especially from that blow hole Ford in Ontario. Our diplomacy should be a little more conditional

Not all the provinces are having issues getting vaccines, or treat businesses the same way. Vaccines are plentiful in the NWT and Yukon, and business owners, including outfitters...are getting hooked up.....on the other hand,, businesses in BC are getting the high hard one, and vaccines are not available...its a shame

buzzy

WKR
How are the outfitters going to make up 2 years of lost hunts? My hunt was cancelled last year and I doubt I’ll be going this year. Having to wait 2 more years is the max I want to wait. If he pushes me back 3 years I’m hoping to get my money back and just forget it all together. I can’t believe the Canadian government is as screwed up as it is.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
How are the outfitters going to make up 2 years of lost hunts? My hunt was cancelled last year and I doubt I’ll be going this year. Having to wait 2 more years is the max I want to wait. If he pushes me back 3 years I’m hoping to get my money back and just forget it all together. I can’t believe the Canadian government is as screwed up as it is.

Shitty thing is Trudeau just recently said “perhaps” the land border could open this summer. That is straight up appeasement to a direct question in a press conference. All that does now is give a sense of a false hope and drags out outfitters not being able to plan. Until someone actually says something of substance we are all a bunch of f**kin mushrooms .........fed shit and kept in the dark.

WKR
Sure hope another flu doesn't come over from China anytime soon. These things can really suck your freedom away.

ejs21

FNG
Shitty thing is Trudeau just recently said “perhaps” the land border could open this summer. That is straight up appeasement to a direct question in a press conference. All that does now is give a sense of a false hope and drags out outfitters not being able to plan. Until someone actually says something of substance we are all a bunch of f**kin mushrooms .........fed shit and kept in the dark.
Trudeau also said "We know vaccines don't work" in front of parliament... the video clip shouldn't be too hard to find

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wish covid would wipe out the guiding industry here in Alaska. Guides have absolutely zero respect for locals, they only care about making money. While I understand Americans being bummed their stone sheep hunt is postponed, Canadian resident hunters should be thrilled.

Nothnig I hate more than the guides blasting by in their boats 10 feet from the shore while I'm trying to fish or taking off in their float planes in the river....where locals are fishing rather than the lake 300yds away.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Read this a few minutes ago. Doubt it will do us any good this year but maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.

If you do the math. If the vaccination rate stays right where it’s at. 75 percent of Canadians will be vaccinated by mid June with first dose. If you want to fully vaccinate them at the same rate with no increase in vaccine acquisition that would take you in to the first week in September. Not everyone will get vaccinated. So most likely if supply increases and buy in stays the same (I assume it will Canada will imprison their citizens till they get compliance) you should be 75 percent vaccinated beginning of August at latest. Per a Canadian medical official “there is no medical reason” not to lift restrictions with those kind of numbers.

Time to move this show along.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I totally agree. I feel terrible for the folks on both sides of the border that are losing their livelihoods from this mess.
My hunt is for the NWT opener (July 15th), I believe that the border will open this summer but I don’t think I will be sheep hunting with as little planning as these governments have done.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I totally agree. I feel terrible for the folks on both sides of the border that are losing their livelihoods from this mess.
My hunt is for the NWT opener (July 15th), I believe that the border will open this summer but I don’t think I will be sheep hunting with as little planning as these governments have done.
[/QUOTE

My gut is if it’s going to open over the summer for hunters/tourism it will be at the Aug 21 extension

KU_Geo

WKR
The 75% vaccination target seems like it’s going to be at least several month down the Road when only <5% are fully vaccinated now... looks like it may be another year before I get up to the Yukon