Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

j33

WKR
I know of people that have left to the US get tests at Calgary international airport (past security) in the last couple months.

Numi is the company in Calgary or Edmonton airport doing PCR (same day or next day) or Antigen test (15mins). They have an app you can book or just show up, but check out their website. The Calgary airport is a gong show right now with everything opening up and lack of staff, so be sure to give yourself extra time.

Not sure if that’s not the test your looking for?

buzzy

WKR
I know of people that have left to the US get tests at Calgary international airport (past security) in the last couple months.

Numi is the company in Calgary or Edmonton airport doing PCR (same day or next day) or Antigen test (15mins).

Not sure if that’s not the test your looking for?
Thanks. It’s the PCR or NAAC test that the US requires. I know they are available but with results taking up to a day or so I’m assuming travelers are booking a flight with a stay over in one of these airports to wait for the test results? I don’t know how you can book a connecting flight with no idea when results would be ready.

buckpro

FNG
CDC accepts antigen test also, i believe those are the 30 minute test.
CVM medical is in the Vancouver airport and provides the rapid antigen test.

buzzy

WKR
CDC accepts antigen test also, i believe those are the 30 minute test.
CVM medical is in the Vancouver airport and provides the rapid antigen test.
Thanks but how I first read the CDC requirements was the US does not accept these results. Maybe I’m reading this wrong and antigen tests are allowed. Antibody tests are not allowed. So a negative rapid antigen test and you should be good to go. Is this how everyone is interpreting this?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/pdf/Airline_Testing_Order_Checklist-p.pdf

Last edited:

buckpro

FNG
straight from the CDC website
"
What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT)."

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity does anyone have any concerns with the uptick of cases and the potential for a border strike that the fed government will pull the plug on this?

buzzy

WKR
Out of curiosity does anyone have any concerns with the uptick of cases and the potential for a border strike that the fed government will pull the plug on this?
Yes that's a concern for sure. I am hoping to go up for my sheep hunt mid September. I just bought an Air Canada ticket that I thought was a pretty good price if you book the trip before the end of the month. Basically for a couple of hundred dollars the ticket is refundable. So I can change the dates of my flight for free, just pay the difference if any in flight fair, or get a full refund.

If I don't go up this year I'll go up next summer assuming things are under control!! But for the price of the Air Canada ticket that is booked by the end of July it seems like a pretty good insurance policy if things do change.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Yes that's a concern for sure. I am hoping to go up for my sheep hunt mid September. I just bought an Air Canada ticket that I thought was a pretty good price if you book the trip before the end of the month. Basically for a couple of hundred dollars the ticket is refundable. So I can change the dates of my flight for free, just pay the difference if any in flight fair, or get a full refund.

If I don't go up this year I'll go up next summer assuming things are under control!! But for the price of the Air Canada ticket that is booked by the end of July it seems like a pretty good insurance policy if things do change.

I hope it doesn’t come to that. That would be a huge financial kick in the balls to clients and outfitters if they let them spend money to mobilize their operations only to take it away.

I just got moved up a year and headed up for last part of Aug into early Sept. First sheep hunt and pretty pumped!
I'm currently working to move my hunt up. Judging from an email I got earlier today, we may be in camp together. I've got to get a JnJ vaccine in the morning to make it official. This will be my first sheep hunt as well!

buzzy

WKR
I hope it doesn’t come to that. That would be a huge financial kick in the balls to clients and outfitters if they let them spend money to mobilize their operations only to take it away.
Definitely. I’m more worried that the Yukon or NWT choose to shut down and not let folks in. If that occurs I’m sure we will all be asked to help cover the outfitters costs who have hunts in the books with them.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely. I’m more worried that the Yukon or NWT choose to shut down and not let folks in. If that occurs I’m sure we will all be asked to help cover the outfitters costs who have hunts in the books with them.

I think it looks worst politically to go back on your announcement than it does moving forward with it. Trudeau in a press conference today stated that the data shows fully vaccinated travelers pose a low risk. Not zero but low risk. To me that means he has the intentions of moving forward (hopefully)

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Also I’m sorry but if you choose not to get vaccinated (if not contraindicated) you are assuming your own risk. Vaccinated people should not be punished for cases rising in people who are able to get vaccinated and willingly choose not to.

Canada has enough vaccine for everyone you either want it or you don’t.

keller

WKR
I heard if you drive across the border you don't need a test to get back to U.S. only for flying?

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Im headed to Whitehorse the middle of August for my first sheep hunt in BC, I am working on flights as we speak and trying to figure out how much time to allow between Vancouver and flight to Whitehorse. The way I’m reading things I think I will need to get tested in Vancouver before heading on to Whitehorse. Also think I will have to be tested in Whitehorse before coming home. Wondering what others thoughts are.

buzzy

WKR
I heard if you drive across the border you don't need a test to get back to U.S. only for flying?
The land border to get into the US is not open to non essential individual and no date has been given. I have not seen anywhere where a test is not required to enter the US under any circumstances.

Last edited:

buzzy

WKR
Im headed to Whitehorse the middle of August for my first sheep hunt in BC, I am working on flights as we speak and trying to figure out how much time to allow between Vancouver and flight to Whitehorse. The way I’m reading things I think I will need to get tested in Vancouver before heading on to Whitehorse. Also think I will have to be tested in Whitehorse before coming home. Wondering what others thoughts are.
At this time a test is required within an 72 hrs from your LAST Canadian flight. Last year we needed a test to get into Alaska and I used a mail in kit that worked very well from Everwell. Cost some money but got results back within 24 hrs. I’d suggest looking into one of these kits.

JHubbard2010

FNG
Classified Approved
This is awesome news. I agree what are they looking for in a quarantine plan. If we meet all the requirements do we need a quarantine plan?
Any update on this? I leave for BC on September 18 and the "Quarantine Plan" requirement is very vague. I am driving across at the Roosville Crossing and then overnighting in Fernie before traveling on to camp. I had a feeling this would be a mess.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Any update on this? I leave for BC on September 18 and the "Quarantine Plan" requirement is very vague. I am driving across at the Roosville Crossing and then overnighting in Fernie before traveling on to camp. I had a feeling this would be a mess.

This is not per any government source. But I have talked to a few people making plans to cross the border. It sounds as like they are looking for your final destination and how you will isolate once you get there. From what I am hearing people are entering the address of the final location in ArriveCAN as their plan. You should prepare what you will say prior to reaching the border as an agent may ask you to explain your plan.

I am being cautious so I typed up a quarantine plan that consists of the isolated locations I will be staying on my transit to my final base camp. I have included the camp number and location for my hunt. I took a template from others plans and I also included how I would obtain fuel and how I am bringing enough food for myself to be self sufficient along the way. (I am driving cross country to the YT).

In my opinion with the time it’s taking per vehicle and the volume that they will use discretion on what tourists they drill for information. People that seem suspicious or possibly showing signs and symptoms.

CLP

FNG
Not the same exact scenario but I did a desert hunt in Mexico in February and I crossed into Mexico via car and back into the US and they didn’t say a word to me whatsoever about having a negative test. It was super easy. It was always my understanding that the test applied to air travel.