Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I have lived as a resident in all three Territories for the last 30 years. There won't be much positive pressure from inside the Territories to support an early continuance of non resident hunts and there will also be limited support for many if not most guiding companies. Most in the NWT and Yukon don't hire locals as guides (as they will learn the country and use information gleaned for their own or their families hunting) and many of the guiding companies also enter into agreements with local air carriers to keep out residents. Much of the ownership is from outside as well and when they talk about "their territory" as if they actually own it they create a great deal of resentment and negative press with local hunters and residents. This is not universally true but a few bad apples spoil the pie.

The economic benefits are by and large so concentrated in the hands of so few (some of the co-ops in Nunavut are exempt from this problem) that I have often wondered if the guiding companies are trying to kill the long term viability of their business. Residents especially First Nation residents of local communities are sensitive to a history of colonialism, exploitation and being wiped out by disease from outsiders. This is arrayed politically against the well healed and organized few that own hunting concessions. Not sure how it will play out however, no-offense, but as a resident hunter I'd love to see things closed down for a good while. Our local communities have multi-generational crowded housing conditions and the introduction of the virus would wreak havok on our Elders. It's a shame as some guiding companies have a pro-social impact on communities but some don't and this limits the political support of an early return to normalacy. Possibly there would be a way to create some rules to stop the worst from happening but it will be a political decision and we will have to see how it all plays out.

Rackmastr

WKR
My guess is odds are low. I'm thinking the opening of the border will be done in stages and the first will allow for families to re-unite and other types of exemptions, but not sure about recreation.

Interesting to wait and see, but with the current closure till the 21st of June I'd be shocked if they open it 100% immediately.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
From BC ... but last update was May 15th. When I called them they said to keep checking this link for updates as they provide them.

MattBC

FNG
I have lived as a resident in all three Territories for the last 30 years. There won't be much positive pressure from inside the Territories to support an early continuance of non resident hunts and there will also be limited support for many if not most guiding companies. Most in the NWT and Yukon don't hire locals as guides (as they will learn the country and use information gleaned for their own or their families hunting) and many of the guiding companies also enter into agreements with local air carriers to keep out residents. Much of the ownership is from outside as well and when they talk about "their territory" as if they actually own it they create a great deal of resentment and negative press with local hunters and residents. This is not universally true but a few bad apples spoil the pie.

The economic benefits are by and large so concentrated in the hands of so few (some of the co-ops in Nunavut are exempt from this problem) that I have often wondered if the guiding companies are trying to kill the long term viability of their business. Residents especially First Nation residents of local communities are sensitive to a history of colonialism, exploitation and being wiped out by disease from outsiders. This is arrayed politically against the well healed and organized few that own hunting concessions. Not sure how it will play out however, no-offense, but as a resident hunter I'd love to see things closed down for a good while. Our local communities have multi-generational crowded housing conditions and the introduction of the virus would wreak havok on our Elders. It's a shame as some guiding companies have a pro-social impact on communities but some don't and this limits the political support of an early return to normalacy. Possibly there would be a way to create some rules to stop the worst from happening but it will be a political decision and we will have to see how it all plays out.
I tried to book a flight last summer into some lakes in the north central Yukon. The charter was fine with everything until they found out we were hunting and then started suggesting other lakes that the outfitter doesn't use. That was with Alkan...the week we were planning on going they ended up crashing their plane outside of Mayo. Pretty sad the way things are handled up there by the outfitters!

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to book a flight last summer into some lakes in the north central Yukon. The charter was fine with everything until they found out we were hunting and then started suggesting other lakes that the outfitter doesn't use. That was with Alkan...the week we were planning on going they ended up crashing their plane outside of Mayo. Pretty sad the way things are handled up there by the outfitters!

Matt, just curious, what lakes were you looking to fly into with Alkan? I used to guide up in that area.

buzzy

WKR
Any new insight on this subject?? 7/24 departure date isn’t looking good. I keep hoping for some positive news but don’t see any so maybe someone can brighten my day!! Thanks

OMB

WKR
Any new insight on this subject?? 7/24 departure date isn’t looking good. I keep hoping for some positive news but don’t see any so maybe someone can brighten my day!! Thanks

My July hunt has already been tentatively pushed into August and already working on dates for a future year as it's looking pretty bleak for any non-resident travel into the NWT this hunting season. Sounds like most, if not all, outfitters have rock solid plans to keep hunters away from the community, but the government is in no rush whatsoever to have things back open by sheep season.

OP
T
My hunt has also been rescheduled for August with dates on the table for 2021 should that fall through. Ive been impressed with my outfitter. He seems determined to make it right for the client at all costs.

My hunt has also been rescheduled for August with dates on the table for 2021 should that fall through. Ive been impressed with my outfitter. He seems determined to make it right for the client at all costs.
Not all have been as determined. You should give a shout out to the outfitter so we All know

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the border is going to open to residents who have immediate family in Canada with a 14day quarantine.. maybe there’s progress being made?

Yukon looks to be starting a Phase 2 on July 1, but they're only looking to allow residents to travel between NWT and Yukon. Chances are they'll keep on that phase for at least a month, probably longer, so the early hunts in those areas doesn't look very good at the moment.

Schism

WKR
This was recently posted in the general forum section. My wife and I have an Alberta vacation planned the last week in June and I'm losing confidence it will happen. I keep hoping you folks with Canadian hunts are able to make it work.

buzzy

WKR
Agree, this is not good news. July hunts and more than likely August hunts are all toast. Amazing how the rest of the world is opening up but Canada wants to make it more and more difficult for people to make a living.

This is all but the final nail in our coffin for August sheep hunts. Everything I’ve read points to the NWT and Yukon delaying the opening long past when Canada officially opens. Their statements stressing “caution” reveal as much.

Jimbob

WKR
We went from "Flatten the curve" to "lets lockdown and prevent a curve".

Here in BC, covid is a non-issue and it seems like a lot of people want to keep it that way. The government and much of the population want to keep a bubble over our province and just start functioning normally within that. I get those sentiments BUT what are going to be the consequences of that strategy? Drastic I think.

I feel for the people with lifetime planned trips for this summer and fall and I feel for all the business owners that are going to take a beating. Our government will have some bailouts BUT our tax increases will be not far behind.

bradb

WKR
So do you think BC is working on tougher standards? I am scheduled for Stone's on Spet 13th in BC

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack the thread, or be too negative, but let's say the border doesn't open up in time for most of the hunts to occur this year. Does next year, assuming we return to normalcy, become the year of record book rams all over Canada?