Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

archer109

FNG
My yukon Hunt just got rolled over to 2021. I’m fine with that as 2020 just hasn’t gotten me excited to go. One plus I think is we may add moose on now. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There will be some big critters in the territories next year! Not that there wasn't this year!

KU_Geo

WKR
Well that officially puts the nail in the coffin for my Yukon Hunt this year. Not that I am surprised. I was pretty optimistic until the last few weeks, but with Covid cases up I knew the chances of the restrictions being extended were about 99.99%....

Last edited:

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Oh boy, there are many predicting the boarder will stay closed through 2021, “Given public opinion, economist Moshe Lander said it would be "political suicide" for Canadian politicians to contemplate reopening the border right now.

"As long as Canadians don't feel safe, then why force open that border when there's no strong political logic to doing it?" said Lander, a professor at Concordia University in Montreal.

He predicts a possible border reopening in middle to late 2021 — if there's enough confidence at that point that the virus is under control.”

Maybe check with your accountant about taking a 1 time personal loss on deposits and othe costs related to your trip due to COVID. Good luck boys!

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Oh boy, there are many predicting the boarder will stay closed through 2021, “Given public opinion, economist Moshe Lander said it would be "political suicide" for Canadian politicians to contemplate reopening the border right now.

"As long as Canadians don't feel safe, then why force open that border when there's no strong political logic to doing it?" said Lander, a professor at Concordia University in Montreal.

He predicts a possible border reopening in middle to late 2021 — if there's enough confidence at that point that the virus is under control.”

Maybe check with your accountant about taking a 1 time personal loss on deposits and othe costs related to your trip due to COVID. Good luck boys!
No one knows for sure at this point, but many who have been frustrated that their cancelled hunts have been pushed off to 2022 may not have a choice for other reasons. I would not be at all surprised if 2021 Canadian hunts get pushed back, the way things are unfolding, and then my 2022 and 2023 hunts are up in the air. But no use putting the cart before the horse......we’ll just have to wait and see how things shake out

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I put a deposit down in June for a 2023 stone hunt......whenever things "get back to normal", I am guessing there will be a real logjam when it comes to demand for 2022-2023. Whatever canadian outfitters remain after the dust settles will probably be booked out for several years.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I put a deposit down in June for a 2023 stone hunt......whenever things "get back to normal", I am guessing there will be a real logjam when it comes to demand for 2022-2023. Whatever canadian outfitters remain after the dust settles will probably be booked out for several years.

After the thought of having to reschedule my trip really sank in I changed my way of thinking. I am going to talk to my outfitter and if he wants to put me in to 2022 or 23 so be it. With the way things are now I’m not climbing out of one sinking ship and jumping in to another. 21 is just as unstable. I’ll rebook far enough in advance to hopefully weather this storm.

buzzy

WKR
Curious what everyone’s outfitters did for rescheduling. I’ve paid my outfitter 100% - tags, flight to camp, license etc. I’m also in $850 to get to The town I need to get to base camp from and that Canadian airline won’t refund my money. They gave me a credit that will expire at the end of 2021.

I didn’t want to push the outfitter but after asking twice he said he can’t fit me in until 2022. I’m pushing back but this doesn’t seem right. 2021 hunters don’t have as much money already invested. And the dates he’s proposing aren’t great as it’s the opener and I had planned and paid for a bou tag. Now that’s not even an option.

Still holding out hope he does the right thing and meets me half way somehow but pretty disappointed with a very well known and reputable outfitter.

JonnyB

WKR
Curious what everyone’s outfitters did for rescheduling. I’ve paid my outfitter 100% - tags, flight to camp, license etc. I’m also in $850 to get to The town I need to get to base camp from and that Canadian airline won’t refund my money. They gave me a credit that will expire at the end of 2021.

I didn’t want to push the outfitter but after asking twice he said he can’t fit me in until 2022. I’m pushing back but this doesn’t seem right. 2021 hunters don’t have as much money already invested. And the dates he’s proposing aren’t great as it’s the opener and I had planned and paid for a bou tag. Now that’s not even an option.

Still holding out hope he does the right thing and meets me half way somehow but pretty disappointed with a very well known and reputable outfitter.

Slightly off topic but my wife and I had our tenth anniversary trip to Europe cancelled and our flights were booked through a Canadian airline as well. We paid for the “failproof” insurance since we paid through the nose for first class seats and all. They told us they can only refund half of what we paid them, even though the insurance we paid for was to reimburse the whole cost of the tickets if it was cancelled. The other option was to receive a credit through 2021 but they aren’t going to be flying anywhere close to where we needed to go until 2022.

Long story short, this whole situation has been used and abused by companies to screw over paying customers and it’s only going to get worse as far as that goes.

As per your situation, at the very least, I would flat out dig my heels in that I need a refund for at least the caribou tag since it is out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
So I am in the same boat as you. I have a fully paid hunt tags and all. What I did in prep for a border closure was reach out to one of my outfitters closest competitors and asked how they were handling the situation so I could gauge how I would respond. What I was told not only shocked me but royally pissed me off. I was told (the competitor is a well known outfitter very active on social media) that hunters booked for this year would be rescheduled. How they are treated will be gauged on how flexible they are with rescheduling. If the hunter is flexible with the year he is booked he will be treated with preference in dates he wants as well as possibly a bonus. Hunters that are pushy will be treated with less preference in rescheduling. Truthfully we may have more skin in the game than the 21 guys but outfitters don’t want to risk losing clients and money next year for the sake of rescheduling us. So my plan as of right now is to bend over and take whatever year works for my outfitter. I don’t mean to burst any bubble but for the most part we as American hunters are powerless in this situation. You could spend money on a Canadian attorney and attempt to get your money back. ( time and frustration and you will probably lose). Or you can fight with your outfitter to get rescheduled next year. By the previous correspondence I had with my outfitters competitor it leaves me concerned that any push back is gonna get you a potential second rate hunt and effort from the outfitter. Now I can’t say my outfitter would do the same I have a lot of respect for him and am happy I booked with him. I’m just not willing to test those waters. I am forgetting about my hunt I’ll reschedule for down the road and when it happens I’ll have a great time. After my hunt I will not spend another dime in Canada. This was a bucket list hunt for me. I can’t wait to do it. However I’ll support my own economy in the country I reside in from now on. Down the road this will all go away relationships and commerce will continue like this never happened. For me it just reinforces why I dislike utilizing outfitters and enjoy hunting public land on my own.

OMB

WKR

I had the option to roll over to the opener in 2021, but I'll be getting married during that time frame next summer so I asked for 2022 dates instead with the option to potentially add a caribou, and was given the option of the first three hunt sessions (July 15, July 25, or Aug 5) and I re-booked for July 25. I hadn't booked travel yet so luckily I'm not out that. I'm young and not at all wealthy, so I'd love that last payment back towards a house but I've budgeted well enough to this point that I'm still in a good position. My outfitter did everything he could with moving my dates around this year and has been really communicative through the process. It's a giant turd sandwich right now and we all have to take a bite unfortunately. Really wanted to complete my goal of having my first sheep by 30, but now I've picked up my bow for the first time in almost a decade and I'll probably have a setter pup to start training here in the next year, silver linings.

buzzy

WKR
So I am in the same boat as you. I have a fully paid hunt tags and all. What I did in prep for a border closure was reach out to one of my outfitters closest competitors and asked how they were handling the situation so I could gauge how I would respond. What I was told not only shocked me but royally pissed me off. I was told (the competitor is a well known outfitter very active on social media) that hunters booked for this year would be rescheduled. How they are treated will be gauged on how flexible they are with rescheduling. If the hunter is flexible with the year he is booked he will be treated with preference in dates he wants as well as possibly a bonus. Hunters that are pushy will be treated with less preference in rescheduling. Truthfully we may have more skin in the game than the 21 guys but outfitters don’t want to risk losing clients and money next year for the sake of rescheduling us. So my plan as of right now is to bend over and take whatever year works for my outfitter. I don’t mean to burst any bubble but for the most part we as American hunters are powerless in this situation. You could spend money on a Canadian attorney and attempt to get your money back. ( time and frustration and you will probably lose). Or you can fight with your outfitter to get rescheduled next year. By the previous correspondence I had with my outfitters competitor it leaves me concerned that any push back is gonna get you a potential second rate hunt and effort from the outfitter. Now I can’t say my outfitter would do the same I have a lot of respect for him and am happy I booked with him. I’m just not willing to test those waters. I am forgetting about my hunt I’ll reschedule for down the road and when it happens I’ll have a great time. After my hunt I will not spend another dime in Canada. This was a bucket list hunt for me. I can’t wait to do it. However I’ll support my own economy in the country I reside in from now on. Down the road this will all go away relationships and commerce will continue like this never happened. For me it just reinforces why I dislike utilizing outfitters and enjoy hunting public land on my own.

I am afraid of the same thing. The problem is I didn't complain at all and I feel I'm getting screwed. He easily could have offered a date in August of 2022 to give me an opportunity at a good Caribou. Instead he said I have to be in the first hunt and didn't even mention the money I already paid.

I have another hunt scheduled in BC but after these 2 that will be if for Canada. I'll spend my money in the states moving forward for a long time. I understand everyone should have to share the burden but in my case I'm having a hard time seeing nothing but a take it and like it attitude from the outfitter and it shouldn't be that way.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, a friend of mine had a hunt booked with a well known Canadian outfitter and had his trip cancelled. He refunded his money 100% and made no offer to reschedule. He said there would be no point In rescheduling and won’t be booking any more hunts until the situation gets rectified, although he is currently booked through 2022. He thanked him for booking with him and said he hoped he would consider booking again when and IF things get back to normal. It appears the outfitter is skeptical that things will be back to business as usual next year and doesn’t want to mislead anyone into thinking he can guarantee them a hunt next year and therefore any year thereafter.