Odds my July NWT dall hunt happens?

Rackmastr

WKR
Our border has been open for Canadians to come in, nothing is gonna change

Well, if you consider an open border meaning you can fly in, then yes its 'open'. But land border travel is still restricted (as has been the entire time) and extended until the 21st of Aug.

Rackmastr

WKR
ah jk i read that wrong. well hopefully the CBSA doesn't go on strike for the 9th then

Even if CBSA is in a strike position, the border will continue to operate as officers are deemed 'essential services'. You may see a slow-down of crossing or impacts on work-to-rule or strike action, but the border will remain open.

buckpro

FNG
Anyone found plane tickets? I was able to get one through aircanada, going anyway, hoping they open up more on the return.

buckpro

FNG
Just be aware that Air Canada is not particularly firearm friendly and notorious for late luggage delivery…
Aware but no other choice into whitehorse. I did up to 1st class going in, knock on wood, I've never had late luggage when marked 1st. Going home I could care less.

Kotaman

WKR
Quick story on Air Canada and my firearm: Flying First Class home from Whitehorse to Winnipeg. My Gun gets loaded on the plane in Vancouver but just prior to take off, gets taken off the plane! I get to Winnipeg with no firearm. They tell me I have to wait for it as the can’t ship it to me in the States. Waiting requires a stay over in Winnipeg and the gun missed two more flights. Finally came on the last flight of the day 30 hours later. Air Canada in Winnipeg was great to deal with and could not believe what was happening with the gun as they tracked it. I’m convinced it was being messed with intentionally and told the supervisor my suspicion. He agreed something was “off” especially with this not only being a firearm, but also tagged First Class. They paid all my extra expenses and gave me a couple vouchers for my trouble. Too bad they are the only option at times. My “bad luck” always seems to happen when coming through Vancouver.

I have enough dislike/distrust in Air Canada that I am driving from my BC Interior home up to Whitehorse in September. From there I’ll fly on a charter into the MacKenzie Mountains in the NWT for the "2020" Mt Caribou hunt. And I'm a bowhunter without any firearms. Westjet is my preference if they have flights available.

Last edited:

buzzy

WKR
Sounds like the NWT is opening up as I was just asked to come up in August. I can’t due to another hunt already booked but hoping to get squeezed in now that they know my availability. Which is pretty much any time except the days they are proposing 😡.

It will be interesting if there are some last minute hunts come available due to guys already having other hunts lined up or not vaccinated. I imagine guys that got bumped a year would get first chance before they hit the open market...

buzzy

WKR
How worried would you be if you were traveling up on the first day the border opens? Do you think the opening will go smoothly??

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Can you post a source? I’m not finding anything

That is the US extension on Canadians crossing the land border to the US.

It remains Aug 9 for Americans in to Canada. Canada’s case count is slightly on the rise most likely due to reopening. I am cautiously optimistic but I’m curious what the threshold would be on postponing the opening.

buzzy

WKR
For guys heading up in August how are you all planning on getting the required NAAT COVID test to get back into the US? Looking at the Canadian Airports I can only see the rapid testing that gets results back in 30 minutes and these don't currently count as the correct test to get back into the US. So are folks going to get the other test and just stay an extra night or 2 waiting for the result as these tests are also available but it's just the time delay to get the results prior to your next flight? Thanks

I'm interested in the question above as well. I'm possibly moving my hunt to this year and am just getting up to speed on all the various covid tests and travel requirements.