# of game bags

I don't like meat touching meat inside a bag, especially if the plane can't get in to salvage it within a couple of days.

Hence 10 bags minimum (4 somewhat smaller and 6 bone-in quarter size) which provides enough bags for each portion of a moose; bone-in legs, bone-in ribs, two necks, two backstraps, plus two tenderloins, and possibly organ meat.

The world's your oyster though, so have at it any way you want. There's hunters out there that don't use bags, but I certainly wouldn't be one to advise something like that.

Last edited:
It all comes down to personal preference based off what others have suggested and what you want to put your body through. For me personally, I use 7 bags plus one smaller bag for loins. The neck, ribs, and trim from one half of a bull can be a substantial load. I prefer to split those two bags into 3.

I also take a few extra to switch out if needed. If I need to switch out more than that, I wash the dirty ones I replaced in the lake and they're dry within an hour or two to switch out with others.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
^^^^^^I do the exact same thing (7 big bags) for the exact same reasons^^^^^^

...and I also have 4 progressively smaller bags for back-straps, liver, heart, and tenderloins. (My preference is to keep those all separate).

(BTW...I'm talking about harvest in a GMU where it's quarters on the bone, and rib meat can be stripped/deboned...which I do).

^^^^^^I do the exact same thing (7 big bags) for the exact same reasons^^^^^^

...and I also have 4 progressively smaller bags for back-straps, liver, heart, and tenderloins. (My preference is to keep those all separate).

(BTW...I'm talking about harvest in a GMU where it's quarters on the bone, and rib meat can be stripped/deboned...which I do).

Yeah, I'm in a ribs-on-the-bone unit, but even back in the day (1960's and 1970's, and later) we always left ribs intact. There's nothing quite like barbecued pressure-cooked bone-in moose ribs.