# of rounds during a range sessions

I have really enjoyed reading through the topics but have not found much on the number of rounds shot during a range session. Lets say you have a 2-3 hour window to either test loads or just work on trigger/shooting fundamentals. In a typical time period how many rounds do you fire? How often are you firing a 5 shot string? How many guns do you bring to the range?
Over a 2-3 hour window I usually fire roughly 50 plus round between 3-5 guns. What I am wondering is if I bring it down to 1-2 guns and 40 or so round taking more time between shots I will see a better result. I am good at shooting and reloading and every load/gun combo is shooting to MOA once a decide on a load. But I have noticed a few things that I cant figure out and wonder how to improve in this area
1. I will shot a 5 shot group lets say 1/2 MOA at a 100 or 200 yards. I will come back 20-30 mins later and shoot another 5 shot group 1/2 MOA but 1/4 top 1/2 inch lower than the 1st group. Doesnt matter what gun I always seem to have this problem. 5 shots touching on group 1 which I feel great about and then another group touching but 1/4-1/2 inch lower. I am not sure how to solve this. I know that the more rounds you shoot you get closer to the real size of your group but having to different groups that tight just frustrates me????
2. The same thing happens from one range session to the next. I can leave a 2 inches high at a 100y all shots touching and the next time out I am 1 1/2 high all shots touching?????
3. The last problem that I have and I guess there could be many answers to it. Just a bad range day, reloads not as accurate as I thought, shooting to many different guns and triggers. I dont know. But i really have been struggling the last couple of times with a certain 243. The last time I shot I put 5 shots under 1/2inch at a 100y followed by a 3 shots group that was .3 at a 100y last 2 shots at 200y were 1/2 inch. Finally felt great about the load. It took a lot to get this load to this point with 80g TTSX. Went out yesterday to con firm the load and it was 1 1/2 MOA. What the heck.

I have shot some very small groups, shoot in very similar conditions, have reloaded a long time and work on getting better. I am wanting to start shooting in some type of competition at some people because I love shooting and reloading just frustrated I cant figure these things out.

Thanks

Over 2-3 hours I will probably shoot 50-100 rounds or more between 2 guns.

As to your groups "shifting," either your technique (such as pressure on stock, etc) is leading to that OR those are falling within the cone of your rifles ability. Shoot a 10 shot group, and then another one, and see what you get...

My best guess is its the rifle/rest relationship. You setup may be slightly different each time you remove and set up your rifle. This can have a slight change in POI. Next time try to duplicate your exact rifle/bag/sitting position. As for your group sizes, I think your doing pretty damn well!

Rich M

WKR
In 2 to 3 hours I might be able to get 50 thru my main rifle when shooting groups, including using fans and such to cool the barrel off. Hot down here.

Will shoot 10/22 or handguns too but basically go to shoot a 3 or 5 shot group and cool barrel and then shoot again.

Saw some video of a guy striking a match w a bullet. That's knowing your gun.

How much can you afford to shoot? That's how much you can shoot. I don't like spending $100 + to go shoot, so I keep it in my budget.

Every rifle is unique, obvious things like free floating buy you more rounds without temp changes to POI. My beloved safe queen deluxe 300WBY MarkV will only throw three rounds before it starts to drift. The thin barrel cools pretty quick though and I would shoot a group every 15-20 min when I was developing a load for it.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I would figure your relaxing on the gun for your later group's. Have to be holding it different somehow

JFK

WKR
You clean your rifle after every trip? Reason I ask is that when I clean my rifle (1-2 times a year) the first few shots will be high. Then after it’s fouled it settles in. If you’ve been cleaning it maybe leave it fouled and see if the same thing happens.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You clean your rifle after every trip? Reason I ask is that when I clean my rifle (1-2 times a year) the first few shots will be high. Then after it’s fouled it settles in. If you’ve been cleaning it maybe leave it fouled and see if the same thing happens.

This is important. The vast majority of barrels shoot better and settle in after about 200-300 rounds down range. After that initial break in, they tend to settle in after about 30-40 rounds after a cleaning. I always make sure I have at least 40 rounds down the tube before any big game hunting.

Most guys over clean their rifles. I usually don’t clean until about every 300 rounds or so. Which on my normal shooting schedule is a little less than once a month these days. Wish I had more time but the 3 year old and 2 month old boys are priority #1.

16Bore

WKR
Shooting groups is like watching paint dry. I shoot random targets at random distances until I’m bored.

I have really enjoyed reading through the topics but have not found much on the number of rounds shot during a range session. Lets say you have a 2-3 hour window to either test loads or just work on trigger/shooting fundamentals. In a typical time period how many rounds do you fire? How often are you firing a 5 shot string? How many guns do you bring to the range?
Over a 2-3 hour window I usually fire roughly 50 plus round between 3-5 guns. What I am wondering is if I bring it down to 1-2 guns and 40 or so round taking more time between shots I will see a better result. I am good at shooting and reloading and every load/gun combo is shooting to MOA once a decide on a load. But I have noticed a few things that I cant figure out and wonder how to improve in this area
1. I will shot a 5 shot group lets say 1/2 MOA at a 100 or 200 yards. I will come back 20-30 mins later and shoot another 5 shot group 1/2 MOA but 1/4 top 1/2 inch lower than the 1st group. Doesnt matter what gun I always seem to have this problem. 5 shots touching on group 1 which I feel great about and then another group touching but 1/4-1/2 inch lower. I am not sure how to solve this. I know that the more rounds you shoot you get closer to the real size of your group but having to different groups that tight just frustrates me????
2. The same thing happens from one range session to the next. I can leave a 2 inches high at a 100y all shots touching and the next time out I am 1 1/2 high all shots touching?????
3. The last problem that I have and I guess there could be many answers to it. Just a bad range day, reloads not as accurate as I thought, shooting to many different guns and triggers. I dont know. But i really have been struggling the last couple of times with a certain 243. The last time I shot I put 5 shots under 1/2inch at a 100y followed by a 3 shots group that was .3 at a 100y last 2 shots at 200y were 1/2 inch. Finally felt great about the load. It took a lot to get this load to this point with 80g TTSX. Went out yesterday to con firm the load and it was 1 1/2 MOA. What the heck.

I have shot some very small groups, shoot in very similar conditions, have reloaded a long time and work on getting better. I am wanting to start shooting in some type of competition at some people because I love shooting and reloading just frustrated I cant figure these things out.

Thanks

1) You are most likely changing your position when you get behind the gun. You may have a parallax issue. Make sure you adjust your parallax to have the crosshairs and target in focus. Don't just set it to 100yds or 200yds...because it will change in different conditions.
2) this maybe parallax but most likely you are shooting from a different position with different pressures on the rifle in different spots.
3) many things can cause this...too many to list. I would go through your reloading process and make sure you are keeping the same lots for powder primers etc...make sure the brass is same lot and same number of reloads. you may have a runout issue with your dies.

OP
M
Thanks guys.
I am sure somehow I doing something different between groups. Just not sure what???
I shoot off a Harris bipod And rear sandbag. I try to get the same anchor point in my cheek each time. Just not sure what the difference is but it’s frustrating because I feel the load is dialed in but it has to be me.
I don’t over clean my guns. Maybe a few 100 rounds between cleaning or if I notice groups opening up on proven reloads.
Once I know if have really proven a load I try not to shoot that gun from the bench very often. I spend time either hunting or field practicing
I will be after it again tomorrow to see

16Bore

WKR
You can do something “wrong” repeatedly with good results. Don’t be fooled by randomness. It’s like golf. If ya hit a fade, play a fad.

When is shot IPSC and wanted speed on a plate rack I’d aim high right knowing I was going to pull shots. Good result, bad execution.