Off-Grid Security Cameras

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some sort of camera system that can work on our off-grid property. We have no power and no internet/wi-fi. I know there are a couple different brands out there but I would like some suggestions from people who actually have something like this for their properties and how they work. We are having some issues of people trespassing during winter/spring when we aren’t around. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
You would have to rig up a solar panel with battery backup for each camera and then the cameras themselves would have an SD card in them that would fill up pretty quick even if you are only capturing motion events. There are a couple DIY cameras that offer cell connection to the internet for viewing but the video quality on these is typically pretty bad, you already know people are intruding on your property, all you would have is unusable video verification that it is in fact happening. Can probably get the same or better results from a bunch of trail cams.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I am/have been running Spartans for the last 4 years and have no complaints whatsoever. Prior to that I ran Coverts for several years.....had many, many issues with Coverts. Cameras would inexplicably go offline for weeks and then I would send them in per Coverts customer service.....they would cite some firmware issue, send me a brand new camera, and then it would just happen again a few months later. Reception whether AT&T, Verizon, or TMobile also was very poor with Covert, even though I bought booster antennas. Spartans have been superior in every way, and I have had zero issues. Lithium AA batteries last for almost a year in the Spartans.....only a couple months in the Coverts.

I have no experience with them, but several buddies have been running Tactacams, all have great things to say. They are significantly cheaper than Spartans, but the problem is finding them in stock anywhere.

Depends a lot on the property and your requirements...

The above 'Spartan' solution sounds promising if you can afford multiple cell phone plan connections per month.

Pertinent information is property size, assets and what you're trying to monitor for, etc. Are you just looking for other people trespassing specific spots? Is there a structure that you're trying to see if people are 'visiting'? How many places/cameras do you need?

The more you need, the more it points to a small solar powered onsite server that logs video online that you either access remotely or come onsite to download.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
The AT&T plans for the Spartans are $75/yr. That’s for 4gig and you’ll never hit that sending the thumbnails. You’ll also need the premium credits for a few bucks a month unless you want to bypass the Spartan app.

Fullfan

WKR
I have 1/2 dozen tactacam reveal cell cameras. They cams send pics to my phone, I receive them 20 seconds after they are taken. 12AA battery’s last me about 8-10 months. I have the 250 pic a month plan, which is 5.00 a month.

You can start and stop the service via, your phone and Mobil app anytime you want.