off road campers

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I love going in to the backcountry for hunting and backpacking, but my family is growing and I've become interested in purchasing a simple off road camper trailer. It would be used for family trips but also hunting trips in the fall and winter. Does anybody have experience with them and information to offer? It appears to be a big market in Australia and starting to catch on in the USA. Advantages or disadvantages between pop ups and tear drops? There is a huge price range and I would rather keep it simple.
thanks

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a whole world in of itself.. In fact entire forums are dedicated to it. Expedition Portal is my favorite place to ogle some amazing builds.
The whole #vanlife concept is really catching on. Would love to see Sunrader pick back up on their 1980s design and make some new ones on the Toyota Hilux.... : )
Something like this on an updated Truck would be pretty amazing....
BEAUTIFUL RESTORED 1990 TOYOTA SUNRADER - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Here is another example
https://expeditionportal.com/la-aduana-1987-4x4-toyota-turbo-sunrader/

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
Tell ya what I would do. I have seen enclosed trailers converted with a couple windows and a lift kit. I am pretty sure I could do similar for about half of what they are selling g for.

bmart2622

WKR
While I can appreciate the work that went into restoring those motorhoms, there is no way I'm spending $25k on an 80's something Toyota motorhome. There are some awesome off road campers out there but they are spendy for the size as well. An enclosed trailer conversion might be a good way to go like Matt mentioned.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with ya $$$ wise. But, I sure think they are a slick setup. Would love to find one in old barn for $500. :)

Trial153

WKR
I been looking at an Opus and somerset E3 and to lessor extent a flagstaff extream sport.
I tried to talk my wife into an off teardrop but she wants no part of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
My wife’s uncle and cousin used an Rpod last year and it was pretty nice down in base camp, it has everything a family would want and it has a small lift and bigger tires and they said it is awesome to tow and does great on rough forest service roads.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a Four Wheel Camper Hawk. Built it how I wanted. I'll let you know how I like when it gets delivered.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
See that is part of it with me. I camp/hunt/family. I have a fifth wheel right now that I stay in when I travel for work. It is my third camper. I cannot see any of these things holding together on dirt/gravel. Crap they don't hold up on pavement. I drug a toy hauler to dirt bike races for awhile also. The enclosed was the least amount of headache, the smallest investment, and the easiest to resell without losing my butt. In my area u can buy a decent enclosed for around 3000.00(7/14). New tires and wheels for about 750.00, lift kit under 100.00. Rv windows at 100.00 a piece depending on size.the inside can be whatever u want it to be. If one wishes u can buy the exact stoves/bunks/interior seating as an rv. The inverters are readily available. There is a place in Colorado that is making these and I thought about doing it back home as they are making a killing. I thought about a popup. Then came to my senses. I already have a couple of overpriced tents

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the draw for a small RV type camper, at least for me, is the versatility, and that it adds a shower and toilet. While most of us are pretty used to tent camping, a small, affordable, motor-home / van would be great to get my wife out more. It would be used for far more than the week or two it would be used in the fall for any sort of hunting. I see some of the smaller RVs used as adventure set ups, where folks even just take days trips to places where they want the option to be able to clean up afterwards (beach, ski resorts, etc.) The beauty of some of these smaller sets (18' Sunrader for example) is that they fit in standard parking spot, so you are pretty unlimited as to it uses.

There are some pretty talented folks out there making some amazing setups.. The Vanlife is an interesting movement that seems to be gaining popularity. If I was young and single, would I rather pay $1500+ a month for rent, or put something similar into a small RV or van that I own and can travel with at will? I think the concept is fascinating, but would be tough on my family so I watch from afar. : )

dtrkyman

WKR
They have jumping jack trailers in sportsman’s warehouse, cool set up and not crazy expensive, not sure of quality but like the concept, dual purpose as utility trailer or camping or a combo of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
If going with a trailer you have a world of options. If you want a smaller, rough road compatible RV / Van in 4WD it gets complicated. The more options you want in terms of RV items (power, fridge, heat, AC, shower, toilet, etc.) the more expensive it gets... The old Toyota Sunrader is a great concept IMO. The 18' model in 4WD was something else. However, its an old design and lots of improvements have been made to the Engines, brakes, and suspension since then. I'd love to find an old 18' Sunrader with a blown engine, import a LH drive 4WD HiLux and take the shell off the old Sunrader and drop it on the HiLux. But, its always more complicated than it seems and never cheap... :)

Some one sort of did with this a 2nd Gen Tundra.. I'd love to read a write up and what it took....
Toyota Tundrader (@tundrader) • Instagram photos and videos @tundrader

These guys did an amazing job restoring this one... But, I'd be hard pressed to drop that kind of $$$ on one.... Wow....
1985 Toyota Sunrader 4x4 | Expedition Portal

Last edited:
Do you like to fish when you camp?

[video=youtube;z3SCycWcE2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3SCycWcE2E[/video]

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Four wheel campers style pop up truck campers (all terrain campers is another brand) are tried and true for basic setups assuming not too many bodies or the bodies are willing to deal with a tighter space. The weight and profile is low, they set up fast and contrary to a tent the majority of your stuff is in the base portion of the camper so you just have to pop it up at night (or toss in consumables for a weekend if you leave your gear in it). They go wherever your truck goes so if you can pivot around on a close road you aren't stuck. But if you need more space there is no question the trailers are nicer in that realm. The soft side pop up looses some more heat but nothing compared to a full tent, I've been in them in -20F temps holding 65F inside (what we had it set to) just fine, granted the heater was running for long and more frequent periods but we weren't frozen out... Some of the never generation smaller trailers are pretty impressive, a buddy has a gulfstream amerilite 16something (which is about 19-20' long) that has been bouncing down some roughish roads that surprised me. Key for off road is keep is SIMPLE LIGHT and SMALLISH, slide outs, weight, length, etc. is where stuff goes south when off the beaten path.

Can anyone suggest me some options if I want to set up an off road camper trailer complete with solar panels. I want to set up an off grid system for long travels. I am having a hard time finding affordable ones.