Off the grid Question ?

Opah

WKR
If you were offered a preset up off the grid Far far away from society cabin, garden, game, water, and solar power. Do you think you have the knowledge and ability to make it ?
Canning your fruit and vegetables, preserving your meat, smoking and dehydration. trapping, snaring, maintaining your stores of food.
Gun Smithing, Reloading ammo until it ran out and then what, Archery, can you make arrows, sharpen tips.
Medicinal plants and health care for you and or Family, could you stitch up your wife's or kids leg if gashed, could you set your or someone else's broken leg or arm?
Seriously there is a lot one should know and year round conditions to over come.
I would like to say I am, but in reality there is so much I am lacking knowledge wise.

Last edited:
Not sure I could garden well enough to feed myself. If game were sufficient, I'd probably be OK. Would need to be in a place with plentiful supply of wood and sufficient food for livestock (pasture). Yeah, I could probably make it, if my gardening game were better. Maybe.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like gardening, but I don't eat the vegetables now so I doubt I would be growing and canning them in that situation. But I'm sure I'd have lots of meat to eat. You make do until you can't.

FLAK

WKR
I think I could, except for setting the broken bones.
Things are different now, but I grew up in the hills doing
most of those things and still cling to them as much as possible.

Completely off the grid and almost totally self sufficient? In perpetuity? That’s a tall bill.

Not nearly as many people capable of pulling that off as there are people who believe that they are.

Extend the timeline and you’ll weed them out quickly.

Beendare

WKR
I know how to buy my movie tix on Fandango.....does that count?
Grin

Good question. What you are talking about is the grind it out chores of day to day life that our ancestors went through. They knew that traps are a more effective use of time over hunting. They understood getting prepared for winter.

Could I do it for an extended time? Yeah, in an apocalypse situation....otherwise no, I'm to accustomed to the good things in life you can just purchase.

>>>

Beendare

WKR
If you watch the excellent show, "Alone"...its all mental. If you didn't have a cushy home to go back to....it would be easier mentally.

smith406

FNG
There’s a knock on your door.

You go over and open it. Outside stands a clean cut young man in a white shirt and black tie, but something is off about him.
All of a sudden it dawns on you, his clothes are stuffed with leaves!

Before you can slam the door the young man blurts out, “excuse me but do you have a minute to discuss our Lord and Savior Kolanski super shelter?

What you're saying isn't too terribly far off of how I live now in terms of the homesteading and gardening/canning/preserving meat, ect. I'm not on solar yet but I'm slowly working towards it. Town is only about 15 miles away so I'm not exactly remote either. Off grid technology and renewable energy has come a long way in recent years, but it's also no replacement for experience and knowledge. Also practicing skills. A person can read and research all they want but still need hands on time to make it all make sense. If someone is serious about going self supporting and completely off grid and is new to the life it's alot easier in my opinion to ease into it. Some of it I've been doing since childhood, but other things (bush medicine, for example), I'm still pretty green. Just keep practicing and working my way every season towards the whole package. And a guy needs to be the whole package to make it work realistically. Dropping everything, taking off into the woods and thriving is a romantic notion but I don't see much sense in a trial by fire approach if you don't have to. All anyone can do is work on learning.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you were offered a preset up off the grid Far far away from society cabin, garden, game, water, and solar power. Do you think you have the knowledge and ability to make it ?
Canning your fruit and vegetables, preserving your meat, smoking and dehydration. trapping, snaring, maintaining your stores of food.
Gun Smithing, Reloading ammo until it ran out and then what, Archery, can you make arrows, sharpen tips.
Medicinal plants and health care for you and or Family, could you stitch up your wife's or kids leg if gashed, could you set your or someone else's broken leg or arm?
Seriously there is a lot one should know and year round conditions to over come.
I would like to say I am, but in reality there is so much I am lacking knowledge wise.

Other than the whole medicinal plant thing I can do all that stuff. The only plant thing I could make is one for skin rashes, but even then you need bees wax to make the ointment.

There’s a knock on your door.

You go over and open it. Outside stands a clean cut young man in a white shirt and black tie, but something is off about him.
All of a sudden it dawns on you, his clothes are stuffed with leaves!

Before you can slam the door the young man blurts out, “excuse me but do you have a minute to discuss our Lord and Savior Kolanski super shelter?
It's Kochanski, damn it, and you can sleep buck naked inside one at -40°F and still wake up sweating!

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Note to myself, put the eatable and medicinal California plant book in the scram trailer. Figure if I have the info when needed I will be OK.
Had these books for years and only read a couple chapters of each.
Hunting, trapping snaring, fish traps / nets I am good
Gardening I would grow the indigenes berries, greens, roots that would reseed and grow every year basically on there own.
Canning would be my issue, I can heat the mason Jars and hot foods to cool and seal, yes I have been told no need to heat the jars, but I think I will anyways.
Canning is forever shelf life or close to it, I should really start to play with canning now get some stores of food backed up. You Think ?