Off the shelf .300 Win Mag recommendation

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
I currently own a Sako A7 .270. I know about as much as your average life-long hunter about calibers, I keep up with the new stuff like the PRC’s and what have you but I don’t know squat about any of the lesser know makes nor do I do deep research on ballistics — I’m not a tinkerer. But luckily I have the Rokslide forums and its myriad experts.

I ended up shooting a nice muley last week with my buddy’s Kimber Mountain Ascent and was really impressed with how the gun felt to shoot and carry around all day. My Sako is light but it’s an entry-level priced gun and I’m looking to add a .300 Win Mag to the cabinet.

Not really constrained by budget and I’d be fine doing a couple straight forward upgrades if folks thought they were worth it — what guns do you recommend having a look at?

Elkhntr08

WKR
I need another 300 like I need a hole in my head, but I’m in the market for one.
I pretty much want a mountain, foul weather ready rifle. I already have a Weathermark, so I’m looking at a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather.

Spoonbill

WKR
Kimber makes the Mountain Ascent in 300 win. My buddy has a Christensen and it’s a nice rifle.

Not sure how you do with recoil but I think an extremely lightweight 300 WM might be horrible to shoot. What cartridge was your buddy's rifle chambered in? The 300WM cartridge in general is sometimes referred to as a flinch factory. Almost no one with one will tell you they flinch, but a lot do. There's a weird culture that's almost unique to the US where people take pride in the amount of abuse they can take from their rifles. That said, a few questions so I can better address your question.

What is the goal total weight of the rifle/scope combo that you want?
How do you do with heavy recoil?
Do you plan to use a muzzle device of some kind? (As I tell everyone who will listen, look into getting a suppressor)
What do you want out of this new gun that your current one doesn't do for you?

I like the Browning HCS I bought in 300WM. I’m not crazy about the 26” barrel but fairly light and well balanced. Very accurate with the Barnes factory TTSX’s.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon. They don't need anything. Mount a scope and go hunt with MOA or better accuracy. Easily handload to .5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
7layerburrito

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure how you do with recoil but I think an extremely lightweight 300 WM might be horrible to shoot. What cartridge was your buddy's rifle chambered in? The 300WM cartridge in general is sometimes referred to as a flinch factory. Almost no one with one will tell you they flinch, but a lot do. There's a weird culture that's almost unique to the US where people take pride in the amount of abuse they can take from their rifles. That said, a few questions so I can better address your question.

What is the goal total weight of the rifle/scope combo that you want?
How do you do with heavy recoil?
Do you plan to use a muzzle device of some kind? (As I tell everyone who will listen, look into getting a suppressor)
What do you want out of this new gun that your current one doesn't do for you?

I shot the Kimber quite a bit -- it was a 300 WM shooting 180gr hand loads. The muzzle break seemed to do a ton for recoil and it jumped about as bad as my .270. I don't claim to be some tough guy with recoil and would greatly prefer a gun that doesn't kick you like a mule, but neither my .270 nor this 300 WM bothered me. I can shoot reliable 200 yd and 300 yd groups with both.

So that answers your 2nd question.

First, as light as reasonable, I tend to carry a rifle a long way. Probably did 75-100 miles this season with mine.

Third, I think a muzzle break makes a lot of sense -- I don't see myself ever going through the rigmarole to get a suppressor here in the US but I would if it wasn't such a hassle.

I'd like to shoot a heavy bullet out to 400 that lands with more energy. If going after elk and moose I tend to play it really conservative with my .270.

That being said, a lot of what I'm after is the fit, finish and features of a high-end rifle. My A7 is fine but is not near as comfy to be behind or manipulate (load, unload magazines, etc) in the field. It'll end up as a gift to a friend of mine who could never dream of buying a new rifle, I assume.

First, as light as reasonable, I tend to carry a rifle a long way. Probably did 75-100 miles this season with mine.

Third, I think a muzzle break makes a lot of sense -- I don't see myself ever going through the rigmarole to get a suppressor here in the US but I would if it wasn't such a hassle.

I'd like to shoot a heavy bullet out to 400 that lands with more energy. If going after elk and moose I tend to play it really conservative with my .270.

That being said, a lot of what I'm after is the fit, finish and features of a high-end rifle. My A7 is fine but is not near as comfy to be behind or manipulate (load, unload magazines, etc) in the field. It'll end up as a gift to a friend of mine who could never dream of buying a new rifle, I assume.
Well a Seekins Havak Element comes to mind as a lightweight option that would fulfill your requirements. Though the option to go custom is always there. As a note to your reply on the suppressors, it's a lot easier than you think. Suppressors are just expensive and they take awhile to finally be able to use since the wait time for form 4's. As far as actual hassle to get them, for most states it's almost nonexistent.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Browning Hells Canyon Speed in a 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a very nice handling and accurate rifle. I'd recommend that model. My 300 win is a custom by Rifles Inc, and after shooting a light 300 win like that extensively I'd recommend getting a rifle with a brake.

OP
7layerburrito

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Well a Seekins Havak Element comes to mind as a lightweight option that would fulfill your requirements. Though the option to go custom is always there. As a note to your reply on the suppressors, it's a lot easier than you think. Suppressors are just expensive and they take awhile to finally be able to use since the wait time for form 4's. As far as actual hassle to get them, for most states it's almost nonexistent.
Good to know! Thanks for the info. A buddy just went through the process in WY and he said it was straight forward.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
If I was in the market for a 300 mag. I would get the Tikka 300 WSM. Shot one at the range the other day. The fellow had the barrel cut down to 20", a limbsaver pad installed and a bunch of the other mods, such as the stainless bolt shroud, etc.
He let me shoot it and I was surprised that the recoil was practically nonexistant. It was like shooting a 308. Plus it was light as heck. Even with the 20" barrel, it still clocked over 3000 fps, but not sure what bullet it was, but it was factory Browning ammo. Shooting that really got me thinking about getting one and doing the same mods.

M70 extreme weather or a Legendary Arms Works Professional. I’ve been very happy with my LAW. Had it shortened an inch and replaced the brake with a PVA self timer. Just under 9 pounds scoped and loaded with a 3-10 SHV.

elkguide

WKR
Hello my name is elkguide and I am a .300 Win Mag addict.

I have a "few" rifles in .300 Win Mag..... several are factory offerings and several are custom rifles. Of all of the "off the shelf" rifles that I have my favorite would be the Cooper. It will shoot 1/2" groups with factory ammo. Since I love to see just how small a group I can get, with handloads, I shot my best 300 yard group with this rifle, a 5/8" group! I have also taken numerous whitetail and mule deer and elk with this rifle.

Wapiti1

WKR
Not really constrained by cost? Sauer 404.

Something nice and different Steyr CLII SX.

Jeremy