Off Topic....Travel Spinning rod blank?

S.Clancy

WKR
Looking for a 4 piece, 6-7', medium action spinning rod for trout/bass fishing. Given the options on the interwebs, I was thinking of building one. I've built fly rods before, but I don't really know what kind of blanks to use for spin? Any body have experience building these? Or know of a good 4 piece to buy? Thanks.

RAPTOR

WKR
Does it need to be a 4 piece? That's going to be nearly impossible to find in a 6-7 foot length, and would have an action I wouldn't want to fish. There's good options in the Mudhole MHX blanks if you're looking for a three piece and want to build. I have a Loomis Escape GLX ML that I've used for a ton of different fishing from browns and cutts to smallmouth and walleye, and it's awesome. If you're looking for a little bit lighter power, the ETR84-3 LS 6 would be a good fit.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could actually use a fast action fly rod blank. If you find a 5 piece fly rod blank that is 8 to 9 feet you could use the first 4 sections only--at least I'v heard this will work.

RAPTOR

WKR
You could actually use a fast action fly rod blank. If you find a 5 piece fly rod blank that is 8 to 9 feet you could use the first 4 sections only--at least I'v heard this will work.

It does work...but if you're particular about action and feel, it ain't easy.

St Croix triumph travel comes in a 4 peice medium 6'6 for like 120$ (made in mexico)

You can buy a blank from st croix I believe if you really want to spin it yourself

Fenwick HMG travel rod comes in 7' medium for about the same as the St Croix (made in china)

CTS will make you a rod blank for 4 piece medium I am sure but it will cost you i believe around 400NZD for the blank (thats like 280 USD + shipping). Will be one hell of a rod though (made in new zealand)

i build a lot of rods and frankly you will have a hard time finding a blank and the components for less money than you will spend on a fenwick four piece rod. I tried and it just never penciled out. I have a couple of the four piece fenwick spinning rods and they are great rods, you can find them easily and often on sale.

boom

WKR
i just bought a 3-piece OKUMA light travel rod for my upcoming trip. it is from their SST lineup. the thing is nice!!

they have a medium-light action 4-piece in 6.5' and a Med 4-piece in 7'. comes with a very nice travel tube/case. not sure on pricing..the one i bought was fairly reasonable.

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Thanks for all the responses. I'll be taking a look at all the options mentioned!!!