***Official 2020 Western Hunting Expo thread***

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Matt & Justin hit the KUIU booth.

We put the new Gale Force Hardshell and the Summit 1P Tent in the same video. It just a few minutes long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They have any idea when they will be available? How did the gun feel and look overall? I’m more than happy to do a review of it for Rokslide especially if you can arrange a complimentary one preferably in 280 Ackley 😀😆

I really want to order one in 280ai but that 22" barrel makes me rethink it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I really want to order one in 280ai but that 22" barrel makes me rethink it.

Not sure if you’re using any of the modern powders, but I just cut 2 inches off the barrel of my 270 Winchester short mag, and I’m still getting velocities that used to take a 26 inch barrel to get.

The other thing is too, she told me there were 24 inch barrels available, but not sure if that’s caliber specific?

Not sure if you’re using any of the modern powders, but I just cut 2 inches off the barrel of my 270 Winchester short mag, and I’m still getting velocities that used to take a 26 inch barrel to get.

The other thing is too, she told me there were 24 inch barrels available, but not sure if that’s caliber specific?

The 24" barrel is offered on the 28 Nosler, 300 WSM and 6.5 PRC.

I think the 22" barrel may get some velocity back with a suppressor. That would be my main reason to move to this rifle would be to have the threads for a suppressor. I found a load my Kimber 280ai will shoot .5 MOA though so I may just stick with that.

I have a question about all the outfitters that you see at these shows. Do they come to the show to drum up business because they aren’t good outfitters, because they are new, or because they feel at a show they can ask more money and get it?

The reason I ask, is that I want to do a Dall sheep hunt. I see many outfitters here that offer Dall sheep, but none of them are guys that have been recommended to me before. So I assume that the good outfitters are so busy they don’t need to advertise, leaving the lesser outfitters needing clients and hence they come to the shows. Am I interpreting this situation wrong?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question about all the outfitters that you see at these shows. Do they come to the show to drum up business because they aren’t good outfitters, because they are new, or because they feel at a show they can ask more money and get it?

The reason I ask, is that I want to do a Dall sheep hunt. I see many outfitters here that offer Dall sheep, but none of them are guys that have been recommended to me before. So I assume that the good outfitters are so busy they don’t need to advertise, leaving the lesser outfitters needing clients and hence they come to the shows. Am I interpreting this situation wrong?
Hmmmmm, I never thought about it that way before, and I doubt that it’s exactly that way. For example I see Wade Lemon hunting there every year. They seem to be a top rated outfitter with waiting list yet they still come to the show. But off the top of my head he’s really the only high profile one that I recognize.

If it were me, I would make sure I got a hold of Epic Hunts, and Huntin’ Fool and ask them about reputable Dall outfitters.They do get paid a commission for recommending outfitters, but they also get a blackeye if they’re recommending crappy ones, so I know they’re pretty careful about where they’ll send guys.

I have not been to this show or the sheep show but I have looked at the list of attendees and there are well known outfitters there.

I agree that there are some well known outfitters there (aka Lemon), but it would seem the vast majority are guys I’ve never heard of. And after walking the expo for 2 days now (first time attendee) I was surprised by how many outfitters are there. It almost felt like every other booth was an outfitter. Ultimately I will likely be using a service like epic or fool to book this hunt, but remain curious on why these specific outfitters are the ones at the show and often some of the more highly recommended one don’t show.

Many outfitters for high end hunts only take a few hunters a year. Losing one hunter could be a significant part of their income. By advertising they create a backlog and competition. Also Its an opportunity to travel and advertise and write it off.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that there are some well known outfitters there (aka Lemon), but it would seem the vast majority are guys I’ve never heard of. And after walking the expo for 2 days now (first time attendee) I was surprised by how many outfitters are there. It almost felt like every other booth was an outfitter. Ultimately I will likely be using a service like epic or fool to book this hunt, but remain curious on why these specific outfitters are the ones at the show and often some of the more highly recommended one don’t show.

Here’s some

dda18553b4427332dbe54bffe094d12d.jpg
6bc4ab4cfe2255e05487b98dea4e7044.jpg

3827a5a3ee97a532fa2c8f60899087e2.jpg

And Jason Berger at WTA Yukon outfitter, Gunwerks guy recommends him.

0f72e82bc98a7fd739d667b75f60b5db.jpg
0c8f3ae13b925b80c848c3c48a0d7b2c.jpg

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
de8d45015b01c76ac846147b9b0b8f1e.jpg
7418d3b6255b63e3a47a9a9a19070d80.jpg

Here’s the Outdoorsman Compact with the Pistol Grip. I’ve been over here last couple days talking carbon fiber versus aluminum tripods. I think I kicked the hornets nest.

I didn’t realize outdoorsman did not offer a carbon fiber in their USA made line.

So we might be doing something on Rokslide surveying you guys on the need for them to launch a carbon fiber tripod, or not.

I’ll be testing their Compact Aluminum against the Slick 624 CF in the upcoming month or two.

fingers

FNG
Anything interesting here for kids? I'm considering driving down from Ogden and bringing my 6 year old twins. But they won't care about flat bills and tactical beards. I'd like to see Seek Outside stuff etc.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
At the Stone Glacier booth. They have updated the Sky Scraper, with a bigger door,and if you look closely in the picture, they added a ventilation vent.

They also moved the bug mesh exclusive door into the regular door, it’s now just a panel in the door.

Also an upgrade to the clip system so it’s a little easier to set up.

But tent still coming in 2 ounces lighter than GEN 1

becf52026180c11e8c455527ec28d79c.jpg
770947ae77095b1378ebdfb54bcddafe.jpg

And then coming up later this year the SkyDome six person, stove compatible. Floor is removable.
996227542601502ae9f17f71c4deaa05.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you wanna see the mossback booth bucks, they’re on my IG story for 24 hours. If your only SM is Rokslide, we appreciate it but Tapatalk took away our quick video option, so I put those on my IG story.

Last edited: