***Official 2020 Western Hunting Expo thread***

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
de8d45015b01c76ac846147b9b0b8f1e.jpg
7418d3b6255b63e3a47a9a9a19070d80.jpg

Here’s the Outdoorsman Compact with the Pistol Grip. I’ve been over here last couple days talking carbon fiber versus aluminum tripods. I think I kicked the hornets nest.

I didn’t realize outdoorsman did not offer a carbon fiber in their USA made line.

So we might be doing something on Rokslide surveying you guys on the need for them to launch a carbon fiber tripod, or not.

I’ll be testing their Compact Aluminum against the Slick 624 CF in the upcoming month or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robby,

Those two tripods aren't exactly on level playing fields. The aluminum Outdoorsmans Compact is $499 while the carbon Slik 624 Pro is $229. I think the Gitzo GIGT0545T at $540 would be more comparable to the Outdoorsmans.

It will be interesting to see what you think. I'm a big fan of carbon for tripods myself but it adds to the cost in some cases. The three main benefits of carbon imo are vibration obsorbsion, weight, and stabilization. An added benifit to carbon is the warmth against your hands.

I look forward to seeing what you think about them side by side.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,

Those two tripods aren't exactly on level playing fields. The aluminum Outdoorsmans Compact is $499 while the carbon Slik 624 Pro is $229. I think the Gitzo GIGT0545T at $540 would be more comparable to the Outdoorsmans.

It will be interesting to see what you think. I'm a big fan of carbon for tripods myself but it adds to the cost in some cases. The three main benefits of carbon imo are vibration obsorbsion, weight, and stabilization. An added benifit to carbon is the warmth against your hands.

I look forward to seeing what you think about them side by side.

I’d agree but I can’t get a Gitzmo, (unless you have a loner?) I have the 624 already.

de8d45015b01c76ac846147b9b0b8f1e.jpg
7418d3b6255b63e3a47a9a9a19070d80.jpg

Here’s the Outdoorsman Compact with the Pistol Grip. I’ve been over here last couple days talking carbon fiber versus aluminum tripods. I think I kicked the hornets nest.

I didn’t realize outdoorsman did not offer a carbon fiber in their USA made line.

So we might be doing something on Rokslide surveying you guys on the need for them to launch a carbon fiber tripod, or not.

I’ll be testing their Compact Aluminum against the Slick 624 CF in the upcoming month or two.

Looking forward to it. I humped the compact on a sheep hunt in NWT. Ended up giving it to my guide and picked up a Slick 635 that I cut down. Shaved almost a pound on the set up. Their aluminum compact is bulletproof though. Talked to Mark about it some at the sheep show and he got it. No hornets nest for me - maybe they just don't like you ;) Would be nice if they came out with a CF option.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree that "the outdoorsman" needs a carbon version. When they came out with their tripods they were the cats ass. Now there are better options that weigh less and cost less. Living in Az, lots of guys use their stuff. I've owned a bunch of it and now the only item I own is their tripod adapter. I think their heads have fallen behind as well. I haven't tried their 700$ fluid head, but i can tell you that there are other fluid heads on the market that are better than their panhead and are considerably cheaper.

ColoradoV

WKR
Thanks for the pics guys some super cool bucks! This guy just has that special look and if I remember right he was a Spanish speaker correct?

This typical might not score as well as those ones I posted yesterday and the day before, but I would take this one over the others as he’s heavier. He is a TREMENDOUS buck
d5be42edb74d99032f320b5288ac2077.jpg

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree that "the outdoorsman" needs a carbon version. When they came out with their tripods they were the cats ass. Now there are better options that weigh less and cost less. Living in Az, lots of guys use their stuff. I've owned a bunch of it and now the only item I own is their tripod adapter. I think their heads have fallen behind as well. I haven't tried their 700$ fluid head, but i can tell you that there are other fluid heads on the market that are better than their panhead and are considerably cheaper.

Those other options though are probably not made in the USA, which is part of Outdoorsmans model and why they cost what they do. We did a podcast on this very thing and I think it will shed light on the carbon fiber/aluminum debate. Coming out within the next couple days.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d agree but I can’t get a Gitzmo, (unless you have a loner?) I have the 624 already.

I personally think the Slik to Outdoorsmans will be a good comparison because of guys wanting to know if the upgrade is worth it. It won't be apples to apples price wise, but a lot of folks are running the Slik and other tripods in that $200 price range and want to know if the "upgrade" is worth it. Just my .02.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree on the USA part. Living in Az, I can visit the CNC shop that actually makes their stuff for them. Made in the USA only goes so far if you are not competitive on price vs same quality. No doubt they have a great product with a huge following. I think it will be interesting to see if they adapt to the advantages of carbon fiber or if Floyd just rides out aluminum till the end.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
We made it back home last night after dodging some road closures. Looks like I-80 is a mess today so I hope everyone travels safe. We recorded a lot of podcasts... planning to release 15 from the Expo. Stay tuned over on the Rokcast sub-forum!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the pics guys some super cool bucks! This guy just has that special look and if I remember right he was a Spanish speaker correct?

Yes, he came off of a “ranch“ (they were feeding the buck) in Mexico. It was in Paul Penne’s taxidermy booth. It’s purely eye candy according to him.

twall13

WKR
Yes, he came off of a “ranch“ (they were feeding the buck) in Mexico. It was in Paul Penne’s taxidermy booth. It’s purely eye candy according to him.

I knew that before I saw it in person but it was still an incredible buck to look at. An absolute dream typical.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Optics, tripods, camp gear, packs, etc is great! That's a neat service that I know will get used and be appreciated.

Long range custom rifles - not so much. If you have a chance, could you please visit with Darin and ask how or if they are going to qualify renters. I don't see anything good coming from supplying total strangers with unfamiliar long range rifles.
I would hope it’s based on credit checks with a credit card hold for purchase price, if you live pay check to pay check you shouldn’t be doing this. I see it as a way for those that are considering buying to test out first. I do agree there would have to be strict qualifiers, long range gun don’t make you a long range shooter.

mt100gr.

WKR
I would hope it’s based on credit checks with a credit card hold for purchase price, if you live pay check to pay check you shouldn’t be doing this. I see it as a way for those that are considering buying to test out first. I do agree there would have to be strict qualifiers, long range gun don’t make you a long range shooter.
Your last sentence is the basis of my post. I've seen plenty of people spend money they don't have - that's not my worry.

tdhanses

WKR
I’m you’re huckleberry

058babc36c04913c0fe5f68ab47091ce.jpg
505c37ee5414f47d04b8e7176a58f43f.jpg
32d5a73f6f4d5db69740400f0d513606.jpg
0e3cc4a3cd5fb5ad3c92d29304e8ff22.jpg
ea133f98eff342f5ac8980701a3ea3ec.jpg

MSRP $1499. The heaviest model will run 6 pounds. And yes there’s a 28 Nosler (and a bunch more) and it has the Accu trigger. 22 inch or 24 inch barrel depending on caliber

4d92b8426952b9c781816f8e995b17b3.jpg

I’m glad you let us know this is out there. I would love to get this going on Rokslide for a review. This gun could really shake things up at that price point and that weight, if it shoots and is reliable.

I’m your huckleberry!