Official Montana 2022 draw thread!

Did you draw and with how many preference points?

• 0 points, successful

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • 0 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 1 point, successful

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 1 point, unsuccessful

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • 2 points, successful

Votes: 72 31.2%
  • 2 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 3 points, successful

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • 3 points, unsuccessful

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Resident/NA

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters
So why have a second choice option we don’t get that on the archery antelope tags. And that 799-20 is a rifle tag that does not read first choice only fwp made a huge mistake and honestly should redo this entire thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually 799-20 does say 1st choice only in the regs. Great bull in your profile! Good luck this season!

Attachments

• A5CEF5BD-3669-4964-AAAD-7275F0C04323.png
    A5CEF5BD-3669-4964-AAAD-7275F0C04323.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 64
Personally I believe setting 25% aside for 0 point holders is bull shit. Why did I waste time and $ buying a point last summer to have 25% of the quota given to people with no points.

I could see setting 500 tags aside for people who have never hunted big game in MT. The first timers. The rest of the tags should be awarded to people by via the draw based on points. If I lose with 1 to someone with 2 fine. But people with 1, 2, 3 or however many shouldn't lose to people with 0
It’s the way they do it. I chose not to buy a point this year knowing 1pt would be next to impossible to draw and I also knew I wouldn’t be building points for later because I have other hunts planned for the next couple years in other states.
Dad drew with 2 buddy and I drew with 0.

Reactions: CBB

cgasner1

WKR
Actually 799-20 does say 1st choice only in the regs. Great bull in your profile! Good luck this season!

It does say first choice only that is probably the only rifle tag in the entire state that says that with it. Our fwp needs to spend some serious time clearing stuff up

Bcleck90

WKR
If you purchased a preference point during the application does it count as going into the draw as 1 preference point this year or zero? Asking for the survey..we drew a general deer tag regardless. No bonus points / LE tags applied for (I think) just general tags.

Does anyone know how you could end up with base bonus points for deer after the draw if you've never purchased any? I was successful for my permit, and still show my two points. I assume that just hasn't been updated, but I have no clue where the deer points came from.
Thanks for posting. I don't know the answer to your question but I'm watching to see if someone on this forum can answer. They are points of some sort, but don't show like bonus points on my FWP page.

Similar to your screenshot, my FWP account also references 'retained' and 'released' + '1 point' for each Deer Combo an Elk Combo.
  • How is that to be understood?
    • Does 'retained' mean that my 2022 Deer application money has not been reissued yet?
    • Does 'released' mean that my 2020 Elk Combo application refund was issued?
    • Referencing application refunds is the only thing I could infer that might be consistent with my FWP history. If that's the case, what does the '1 point' represent?

Before anyone tries to explain, 1) I know the difference between bonus and preference points, and 2) note that I did NOT draw a MT Deer Combo tag this year with 3 preference points (not wiling to pay another $100 to end up paying $250 in preference points for a $700 deer tag). I did NOT draw a Deer Combo in 2021 with 3 points. I did NOT draw an Elk/Deer Combo in 2020 with 2 points. I did NOT draw an Elk/Deer Combo in 2019 with 1 point. Have drawn in years prior to 2019. Less than 2 years ago there was a glitch with my FWP account that FWP IT could not figure out... so FWP wiped the account, then created a new account with my preference and bonus points carried over. I simply can't explain why I am not successful when I should be (based on what MT FWP's reporting shows).

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 5.15.44 PM.png

Thanks for posting. I don't know the answer to your question but I'm watching to see if someone on this forum can answer. They are points of some sort, but don't show like bonus points on my FWP page.

Similar to your screenshot, my FWP account also references 'retained' and 'released' + '1 point' for each Deer Combo an Elk Combo.
  • How is that to be understood?
    • Does 'retained' mean that my 2022 Deer application money has not been reissued yet?
    • Does 'released' mean that my 2020 Elk Combo application refund was issued?
    • Referencing application refunds is the only thing I could infer that might be consistent with my FWP history. If that's the case, what does the '1 point' represent?

Before anyone tries to explain, 1) I know the difference between bonus and preference points, and 2) note that I did NOT draw a MT Deer Combo tag this year with 3 preference points (not wiling to pay another $100 to end up paying $250 in preference points for a $700 deer tag). I did NOT draw a Deer Combo in 2021 with 3 points. I did NOT draw an Elk/Deer Combo in 2020 with 2 points. I did NOT draw an Elk/Deer Combo in 2019 with 1 point. Have drawn in years prior to 2019. Less than 2 years ago there was a glitch with my FWP account that FWP IT could not figure out... so FWP wiped the account, then created a new account with my preference and bonus points carried over. I simply can't explain why I am not successful when I should be (based on what MT FWP's reporting shows).

View attachment 401797
You say you know the difference between bonus and preference points, however you keep saying you have 3 preference points and it clearly states you have 3 deer bonus points and 1 preference point

You say you know the difference between bonus and preference points, however you keep saying you have 3 preference points and it clearly states you have 3 deer bonus points and 1 preference point
Deer Permit (3 points) is Bonus Points.

Please consider that I have 3 Preference Points and 3 Deer Bonus Points.

I did not draw the deer combo with 1 point which I knew was going to happen. I am really confused though--I did not draw last year for the deer combo with 0 points. I went in this year with 1 point. I should have 2 points now? Bonus points I am even confused more on. From what I recall I don't ever remember purchasing "b" licenses.
2aa4efbbc449f596ba259460717b6330.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
So have the non resident points been update because from my understanding a bunch of the resident points have not

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
So have the non resident points been update because from my understanding a bunch of the resident points have not

I’m still sitting at the same deer points that I went into the draw with so far (resident).