Oh Crap Gear (Backup Gear)

JMarbs

FNG
What gear/things do you bring for backups or “just in case?”

Especially interested to here from the minimalist crowd.

I havent needed any of these but maybe a head lamp, but a couple extra batteries, fire starter, a second lighter, if archery a second release if rifle a few bullets tucked away deep in my pack. I generaly have 2 knives also. One in my bino harness and an exchangable blade one in my kill kit.
At the truck i generally am able to have extra of every thing though.

Batteries, headlamp, and a release.

For just in case, I have some lengths of electrical tape wrapped around several things… tent pole, tripod leg, fuel canister.

I havent needed any of these but maybe a head lamp, but a couple extra batteries, fire starter, a second lighter, if archery a second release if rifle a few bullets tucked away deep in my pack. I generaly have 2 knives also. One in my bino harness and an exchangable blade one in my kill kit.
At the truck i generally am able to have extra of every thing though.
I have backups to just about everything. Including a bow. Back at the truck......

Northpark

WKR
Extra release if bowhunting, lukotape wrapped around my tripod legs and trekking poles, water purification drops in addition to my filer. That’s about it for backup items.

The only back up I have at all times is a headlamp. I have other stuff in the truck if needed; stove, fuel, release, water filter, few other misc items.
Agreed. There's a few backup items while in the field like mentioned, knife, headlamp, batteries mainly. Then there's backup for other items at the truck or camp. Two is one, one is none.

bcnorth

FNG
headlamp, lighters and few extra bullets stuffed in my kill kit. Extra bullets are for when an animal is down, no matter what, i open my field dressing kit and have bullets for grizzly deterrent.

I shot at a bull elk with a .270 when i was younger with bullets my dad had a friend load up for me. The elk dropped at about 25yards but then stood up and bolted! I proceeded to empty my clip. After tracking the elk i had elk blood on legs. I got to the elk and realized i had no more bullets. I was in northern BC, solo and had seen 1 set of very fresh and large grizzly tracks from that morning. I broke down the elk but was terrified to say the least.

Since then always 2 or 3 bullets in my kill kit that i just dont touch unless an animal is down.

Northpark

WKR
Fire steel for sure also I have a credit card # memorized.
It's like a beam me up scotty thing.....
The credit card thing is actually a really good idea. I carry a few hundred in cash in my super secret hiding place when I hunt just in case

omulally

FNG
Depends on the environment - wet and warm is different to wet and cold.

I don't carry too much backup gear, but I usually have some kind of emergency lighting, shelter and communication on my person. For everything else it comes down to how well you plan things, your fieldcraft/personal skills and the quality of company you hunt/hike/climb with.