Oh Crap Gear (Backup Gear)

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
Why the extra batteries and headlamp, wouldn't one of them be sufficient? I stopped carrying an extra headlamp when technology made the flashlight on my phone good enough for an emergency situation. The phone can also make it so you don't have to remember credit card numbers, googlepay or such have come in handy for me.

Why the extra batteries and headlamp, wouldn't one of them be sufficient? I stopped carrying an extra headlamp when technology made the flashlight on my phone good enough for an emergency situation. The phone can also make it so you don't have to remember credit card numbers, googlepay or such have come in handy for me.

Yeah, some of the backup items mentioned in this thread are kinda mind boggling. The extra Bic lighter and extra cartridges are definitely applicable, though.

Praynprey

FNG
headlamp, lighters and few extra bullets stuffed in my kill kit. Extra bullets are for when an animal is down, no matter what, i open my field dressing kit and have bullets for grizzly deterrent.

I shot at a bull elk with a .270 when i was younger with bullets my dad had a friend load up for me. The elk dropped at about 25yards but then stood up and bolted! I proceeded to empty my clip. After tracking the elk i had elk blood on legs. I got to the elk and realized i had no more bullets. I was in northern BC, solo and had seen 1 set of very fresh and large grizzly tracks from that morning. I broke down the elk but was terrified to say the least.

Since then always 2 or 3 bullets in my kill kit that i just dont touch unless an animal is down.
Nerves of steel! Def. Would be looking over my shoulder.

cnelk

WKR
After a couple of fly-in Alaska moose hunts where there is no ‘back at the truck’, I have a couple items of ‘backup gear’ in my pack.

You’ll have to figure out what works and doesn’t work for you.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Extra Release and extra headlamp for me. Back at the truck a backup of everything including a ready to hunt complete bow.

A sil tarp. Weighs nothing. Takes up no space. Priceless as a shelter to glass from if the rain or snow really starts coming down. I hate rain gear. I carry trekking poles so setup is quick and easy.

fatlander

WKR
My oh shit kit is as follows:

Extra headlamp
RF battery
Ferro rod and pyro putty
Tourniquet
Extra release
Sleeping pad patch
InReach mini
Advil, Benadryl, Imodium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really “backup” gear per say but I’m bringing an extra sleep pad/sleeping bag and tent just for the truck this year.

After my first load got packed out last year there was no way I was hiking back into our spike camp to sleep. Had to go into town to get a hotel… Would’ve been nice to crash at the truck.

Also good to have a spare sleep pad on hand. Spare rifle is going in the truck as well.

As for in my pack, spare headlamp is a must. Batteries is a no brainer. Water tabs if the steripen fails. At least two knives.

rideold

WKR
I’m not sure where I’d draw the line between what’s “backup gear” and what’s just normal part of my kit.
For me backup gear is the stuff you never use (or hope you never use!). Gear is the stuff you use, or would use if the weather changed, every trip (like the warm gloves or second pair of socks). Backup gear is for when you need it, not want it. I tend to pack heavy so I've had to work hard over the years to slim the pack down and only carry what I need. Might have something to do with getting older and not being able/wanting to carry extra weight!

For me backup gear is the stuff you never use (or hope you never use!). Gear is the stuff you use, or would use if the weather changed, every trip (like the warm gloves or second pair of socks). Backup gear is for when you need it, not want it. I tend to pack heavy so I've had to work hard over the years to slim the pack down and only carry what I need. Might have something to do with getting older and not being able/wanting to carry extra weight!

Exactly ......

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
In that case I probably have more than most judging by the comments. Doesn’t weigh a ton though. I’ll add that I have more experience backpacking than backpack hunting.
I have a little backpacking repair/emergency kit I made a while ago that I honestly would have to look through to remember what’s all in it.
If backpack archery hunting I add a spare broadhead, field tip, judo point, knock, D loop, release, and a hex key for all the screws on the bow.
If rifle hunting I add hex keys for rings and/tool for cheek rest adjustment.
I’ve got a foot care kit that’s just some leukotape, little tiny bottle of benzoine and nail clippers.
My first aid kit has a lot more stuff than most folks, but that’s more a function of what I’m proficient with and would not recommend most people carry that. If by myself i’d leave half of the first aid stuff in the truck

Drenalin

WKR
I have a little pullout with an e+Lite, two zip ties, a square of tenacious tape, a tube of matches, two fire putty singles, and a dozen or so Aquatabs. I guess the E+Lite is the only real backup there, the rest is more strictly "oh crap."

My oh shit kit is as follows:

Extra headlamp
RF battery
Ferro rod and pyro putty
Tourniquet
Extra release
Sleeping pad patch
InReach mini
Advil, Benadryl, Imodium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is pretty much the same for me without the sleeping pad patch. I sleep in a hammock.

Benetel

FNG
When I'm backpacking, I bring backups of everything I can in the truck.
In the field, I bring an extra release, batteries, headlamp, water filtration (usually aqua tabs), nocks (this is big - I've fallen and broken all my nocks, if I didn't have extras I would have needed to pack out)

Scoot

WKR
I don't bring spare batteries- I put in new lithiums before the trip and I'm good. I do have a spare with new batteries in the truck though. I also don't bring a spare headlamp with me in the field.

I carry three zip ties and a little duct tape on my trekking poles. I also have 2 pain killers, benedryl, tourniquet, and quick clot along. Anything else that is in the "oh shit" category is in my truck.