Oh my achin' back

tttoadman

WKR
I wonder if the size of the man can make a lot of difference. I have never really compared the weight of medium size clothing package compared to XL. I assume this would have to done by a supplier that can assemble 2 complete clothing packages.

The only thing that would get me to 70lbs would be my big ass float tube.

kodiakfly

WKR
Bruce it sounds like you have thought it out fairly well. There are many things you have that a lot of us would not bring. Bottom line is if you feel you need it no one on here can tell you that you don't. Only time will show what YOU actually need. No one on rokslide can tell you this. The biggest advice I can give you is bring a notpad and write down how many times you use each item every day. This is how I got my essntials list down in weight. This time of year in California your weight seems high but again its what makes you feel comfortable. If 10lbs is the difference between calling it quits on day 3 or staying the whole 10 days I would say its worth it.

70lbs is heavy but if you're a big guy and are carrying a few creature comforts then go with it. It's not as if you're hunting and might have to add 100lbs to that weight. I'm a small guy at 175lbs and can pack 60lbs all day long.

Good advice here. I'm a big guy as well and I don't count ounces. But I do try to streamline as best I can. Ultimately it's up to you what you'd like to carry; so if you need/want it, go for it.

That said, I'd do one water filter and then just the gun and leave the spray at home. If it's bad enough that you have to deploy bear spray, it's likely not too far from being bad enough to deploy a bullet. Let's just say, I don't carry spray and I don't know many guys that do. Likewise, leave the Woobie and if it gets colder than the bag, wear your clothes to bed....but that's just my suggestions and it all comes back to what I said above in that it's your back that has to carry it all, not anyone else's here.

idig4au

WKR
I think we have all been in these situations. The greatest lessons will be learned when you go in with a heavy packweight and you'll soon find out what you do and don't need. It amazing what you can do without on these types of trips, especially if you have to pack it.

I struggle with the same issues, especially with my "possibles" pullout. The "What IF" fairy always gets me.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I am thinking i may cut down the food weight some, maybe lose the chair (although the Helinox is quite comfortable) and some other stuff. I could afford to lose some weight (around my gut) as much as my pack. Guess I need to pull everything out and start from scratch. The Woobie definitely stays. The one thing I don't wanna do is risk being cold at night. I have always slept in a hammock so this will be my first trip sleeping on the ground in a tent.

Since it is just you, I would add a decently equipped first aid kit, to include the ability to handle a break and a bleed. Your bear spray and sidearm should go on your belt and NOT in or on your pack. You want them to be immediately accessible to you. I would definitely leave one of the filters at home and take drops for water purification. Leaving the chair at home is also a good idea and use your sleeping pad as a cushion and make a field expedient chair out of some branches or rocks at the lakeside, you are after all an outdoorsman and I hope you know how to use a knife and tie some basic knots.

OP
Where's Bruce?
The weight includes pack and belted items (knife, sidearm and spray are all instantly accessible on belt/shoulder harness) but after chatting with my partner, we agreed we didn't need redundancies, especially the Katadyne Base Camp which tend to freeze up in sub-freezing weather or a second Jetboil. So after eliminating the creature comforts, getting serious about "what ifs" and cutting the food down in favor of fresh fish, I have reduced the pack to 59lbs w/o water. Try as i will, I cannot imagine taking less. FYI: our trip will take us from 6600' to above 11K with snow beginning at the 10K level (from a storm 2 weeks ago). Fire restrictions will make attire/sleep system options very important. Oh yeah...I'm still taking the chair just because MY BACK WILL BE ACHING AND A COMFY CHAIR WILL BE USED ALOT. See? I'm listening and taking only the I will actually use. LOL

I will take stock of my packing needs and record the usage of items I pack however, I am not convinced that simply failing to use an item makes it unnecessary. I don't plan to use my PLB, Quik Clot bandage, bear spray, revolver, etc but I consider them essentials. I guess finding that balance is the trick. Thanks you all for your objective and helpful input. Will post pics when I return. Finger's crossed.

slim9300

WKR
2-3 days with fishing setup puts me at less than 40 lbs. with water, pistol and a bunch of luxury items. Just to give you an idea.

We all seem to have spreadsheets now-a-days. If you want mine, shoot me a PM.

Prior to buying a bow all of my hikes were fishing trips. Not sure how much of that wait is fishing gear but I find you don't need a whole lot. My main box is pretty small and stuffed with spinners, spoons, some extra single barbless hooks, dozen flies or so, a couple of casting bubbles, swivels and a few egg weights. This all fits in a little box about 8"x4"x1.5" and can't be more than 1 lb. I also carry a full spool 4lb mainline as running out of line is a show stopper. And finally a shiny new stinky jar of Poutzke's eggs.

What I do is fish all day with the flies and hardware and then when I get hungry I put on an egg weight and a salmon egg and send it to the deepest part of the lake which usually produces a perfect 14-16" panfrier.

6x6

FNG
I'm with slim9300 on this one. My week long fishing trips are at a weight of right around 30-35lbs. Like others have already mentioned, ditch one filter, only one stove will do, especially with a JB. Personally, some of my fishing stuff is different from my hunting stuff. Just one example is my pack. I don't carry my Nomad when fishing or just backpacking. Carrying a lighter pack saves me around four pounds if I remember right. But then, I'm old, so saving ounces has worked wonders for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It really depends on the trip....I've done 80+ pound packs for some summer fishing trips but that usually includes 20-25 pounds of packrafting stuff, as well as adult beverages and what not. Of course I've also done a 6 day dall sheep hunt in which I left the truck with a 37 pound (including 3 liters of water) pack. Just varies so much on the trip and what I'm willing to take. 70 pounds isn't bad at all usually if you aren't hunting as I'm not too concerned about the haul out as I make sure and the beverages are drank and most of the food is consumed as well. This trips are usually go in heavy come out light trips. :D

2rocky

WKR
You know with some trail time and Nights Under the Stars ahead of time, you would probably answer your own question a lot better.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3 day fishing trip planned for next month. Aside from my pistol on my belt, I will be at 12.5 pounds with food, beginning water, and fishing gear (fly and spinning) included. I'm in a full tent, with a 20 degree bag, and full length pad, so I'm not unsafe nor uncomfortable. I'm really wondering what everyone is taking that adds up so much. I am definitely an ultralight dork, so I know 12 pounds is out of reach for most, but 20 pounds seems like a max for this length of trip for trout. I promise that leaving some of the superfluous stuff at home will result in a more enjoyable trip because you will simply feel so much better. It's hard for me to enjoy the scenery with a meat packout-like load on my back.

boom

WKR
I did a 9 day into the same mountains. 33 lbs.

No Kifaru stuff either.

topher89

WKR
For a 3 day fishing trip that I do on some high alpine lakes here in Colorado I am at about 28lbs. I just shaved a pound off with a new sleeping bag and I just replaced a few other items so 28 is probably not totally accurate but my gear is somewhere in 27-30lbs range.

Ditch any redundant items. The only thing I have multiples of are socks, underwear,knives and flies.

Luxury items are just that, a luxury. It is up to you and only you to decide what luxuries you need on your trip. I always lug up a can or two of Dale's Pale Ale. I don't have to but I like them