Oh really?!

Wrongside

WKR
So a fella says, while waxing expertly poetic about sheep hunting, gear, the trip in and how important it is to count your ounces, "Pack weights normally push 80-85 pounds with us with us covering in excess of 20-25 miles a day..."

What would your reaction be to this statement? I'm curious if mine was off base...:)

Ray

WKR
Ask him which ATV he rides, and how his trailer handles the gas load?

sk1

WKR
80 to 85lb pack....check no problems with that.....20 to 25 miles a day in sheep country? If you can travel at a constant 2 mph for 10 straight hours without stopping you're at 20 miles. I'd say he is either telling fish stories or doesn't look at distances on a map or GPS and is terrible at field judging distances. I'm with bb get a spotting scope might be my response to that.

Shrek

WKR
So a fella says, while waxing expertly poetic about sheep hunting, gear, the trip in and how important it is to count your ounces, "Pack weights normally push 80-85 pounds with us with us covering in excess of 20-25 miles a day..."

What would your reaction be to this statement? I'm curious if mine was off base...:)
Where you talking to Aron ? If not I would have a sneezing fit that sounds a lot like BULL SH*T !

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA...that dude is a stud. I've gone in with 80 pounds 20+ miles on 2 different hunts, but it took me two days to get in there and 2 days to get out, and I wasn't covering half that distance a day once I was back there. :D

I would be curious where he is hunting before I called him a liar but I would be suspicious. 20 miles just to get from here to there in some areas of the brooks is possible especially with 22 hours of daylight. I can't see a reason to do that though unless you had a reason to not look around or glass on the trip due to being dropped outside of sheep country. 20 miles anywhere else in AK at least is doubtful.

Hiking and hunting 20-25 miles a day with 80-85 pound pack in sheep country? That sounds like you might have been talking to Pecos Bill to me. He was brought up by coyotes, rode a mountain lion instead of a horse at times, used a live rattlesnake for a rope, just to name a few. If he has taken up sheep hunting, I'll just bet it was him you were talking to. :)

[video=youtube;jHC8o9GNI8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHC8o9GNI8k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

tstowater

WKR
I like sheep hunting, but that doesn't even sound like fun. 20-25 miles a day in sheep country on foot without any pack and doing any spotting would be a challenge. I would question the distance and the weight. IMO. BTW, I would need both Luke and Becca to pack stuff in and out.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, well I know who the OP is talking about and he and his buddies throw out made up numbers all the time. I have heard pretty awesome numbers thrown out there by his buddy about packing out elk as well, numbers that most mortal men could not do.

Gotta love the net...

Another one I laughed at recently: A guy showed up recently on a website that I am a moderator on and he has some pretty amazing numbers as well. All of 40 years old, killed 60 moose, owned his own plane, 1 sheep away from a NAGS as well as many other claims. But guess what, not one picture to share with the curios masses...