Oh the (wal-mart battery) shame...

About three years ago, I had the Chevy dealer replace the battery in my 2015 Silverado while they were doing some body work on it ( don't ask ). I asked them to put a "good" battery in it and they installed an AC Delco "professional" battery that lasted all of about 2 years before it started giving me trouble. Finally today, it left me stranded so I took the truck back to the same dealer to see what they would do for me. Because of a change in ownership, they didn't have any records from former customers, and told me if I could produce a receipt they could replace the battery for free but they would still have to charge for the install.

Frankly, I didn't want the same battery and I especially didn't want to have to pay them to install it. So I considered my (limited) options in this rural area.

I looked around at the Auto Zone and Oreilly's and ended up at my local Wal-Mart and bought the biggest battery they sold for my truck - the H7 series EverStart Maxx.

I know, I know. Maybe I should have looked at Optima or Interstate or whatever. But honestly, when I look back, my experience with Wal-mart batteries has been pretty good. And I know I can find a Wal-Mart just about everywhere if I have a problem.

So what say you? Should I have held out for a premium battery at 2x the cost, or did I do the right thing here?

At least this guy thinks the Wal-Mart batteries are pretty good. How about you?

Rodéo

WKR
I just replaced my walmart battery after 2 years and it was a mess. Completely corroded with battery acid leaking from the terminals/bushings and the battery was bloated by the time I replaced it. I wouldn't recommend one.

On the plus side, it did last me two years with no rough starts or close calls. Replaced it preventatively when I spotted the corroded terminals. Replaced with interstate from costco and it was less than $100

Mine still starts every morning and it's a Walmart special. I figured for half the price of O'Rileys I'd give it a try, that was a few years back. It's on an 06 with 250,000 miles, so really the truck could strand me at anytime. But it just keeps trucking along

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Look at an X2 Power battery available at Batteries + Bulbs. They are a rebranded Northstar battery but with a better warranty (5 year full replacement at any B+B). Top tier battery for both reserve power and starting/cycling.

They ain't cheap, but with discount code + rebate, mine was about $265. Pricey for sure, but I refuse to put myself in a bad spot all to save what amounts to chump change. YMMV.

Good luck,

Eddie

Rob5589

WKR
Look at an X2 Power battery available at Batteries + Bulbs. They are a rebranded Northstar battery but with a better warranty (5 year full replacement at any B+B). Top tier battery for both reserve power and starting/cycling.

They ain't cheap, but with discount code + rebate, mine was about $265. Pricey for sure, but I refuse to put myself in a bad spot all to save what amounts to chump change. YMMV.

Good luck,

Eddie
I've used them as well. Pricey but well made and warranted.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
if the battery has good specs im sure it will be fine, i dont buy fancy batteries and i usually get 5-7 years out of one, there is only so many places that are making them im sure. im sure optima's are great but for cost i dont know if they are that good, to justify the cost.

Antares

WKR
Well, you mentioned Optima, so I’ll bite. I had a red top AGM Optima in my 94 Toyota for 9+ years, never a problem, sold the truck with it. I’m sure it’s still in there.

Most all batteries come out if the same place, they just get different stickers slapped on them. I think there's only like 3-4 places that really produce batteries. They make some a little different to manufacturer standards, but not huge differences in them. The longer warranty batteries are the same battery, you just pay a little more on the chance of them replacing them.

Think about how many batteries Walmart sells and then think about how many issues you hear people having with them. That is all I have in our vehicles and they last 4 years at least. I am typically changing them by then anyway and would do that no matter where I bought it from. I bet they sell 2 to 1 compared to everyone else. Easy to deal with if you have your receipt and something happens before warranty is up.

Like what was posted above, they do great in all the tests and there are only a couple places actually making batteries. Pay more if you want, but not me. Walmart has my battery business for as long as I own my cars.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I started putting 72 month maintenance free AC Delco's in my Toyota 28 years ago and they have been the only vehicle batteries that have never had even a hint of corrosion on them. And all the ones from the past have lasted exactly 72 months so I know when to replace them. I couldn't find the same battery anywhere this last time so put in a battery from Costco. It corrodes. The same brand from Costco in my F-350 diesel have been in 3 years and have just a hint of corrosion. These were free replacements when the first two failed to keep a charge after 3 years.

I'd rather have a cheap "free replacement within 3 years" battery than those expensive batteries that may only last twice that anyway.

IdahoElk

WKR
Believe it or not I have Oreilly's batteries in two 4runners and two in my boat that run my trolling motor, they have been working great, no issues.

wyosteve

WKR
Optima used to be great batteries, but they were bought by Johnson Controls, I believe, and are now made in Mexico. Not any better than the rest now.

If you have a Caterpillar dealer near you give them a call and I'm willing to bet the price will surprise you. We've been running Cat batteries in vehicles for years and have never had an issue. They have a 3 year replacement warranty followed by another 3 years of pro-rated warranty for a total of 6 years. I just put one in my Lincoln Navigator a month ago and it was $130 compared to a quote from O'Reilly's of $160 for what I believe to be an inferior product.

IdahoElk

WKR
If you have a Caterpillar dealer near you give them a call and I'm willing to bet the price will surprise you. We've been running Cat batteries in vehicles for years and have never had an issue. They have a 3 year replacement warranty followed by another 3 years of pro-rated warranty for a total of 6 years. I just put one in my Lincoln Navigator a month ago and it was $130 compared to a quote from O'Reilly's of $160 for what I believe to be an inferior product.
Caterpillar and O'Reilly's are both made by East Penn battery co.

I'll take your word on that and although not positive, I'm guessing they are not made to the same specs. Could be wrong but in my experience Caterpillar batteries have performed better for me over batteries I've bought at O'Reilly's and Autozone. Energizer and Rayovac are the same battery company and Rayovacs never seem to last as long as Energizer batteries when I use them.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I've only used walmart batteries for my UTV's and lawn mowers and they all have sucked. Use Optima for our SUV and Interstate on my Diesel truck and never had any issues.

For your Everstart truck battery, only time will tell. If it fails, buy an interstate.