Oh wow SoCal Heat... Archery Opener... I dunno here...

TheGDog

WKR
Oh wow... Oh man... Ugh... SoCal... I'm starting to have a hard time convincing myself of the usefulness of going out these first 3 days of the Archery Opener...

Current forecasts are like around 110 F for the area I planned on. Farveknugen.. shoot..

I supposed it *can* potentially work in your favor under certain situations?... but wow man... I'm really starting to question if it might not be worth it, health-wise, risk-wise, to just elect to scrub those days and spend some QT with my boy instead escaping the misery of that heat.

I've been out there in 116 F before. But that was just 1 day. Not sure about this 3-day extreme.

I've got 4 Gals water already out there, can bring another 8L-10L tops w/ me. But that's gotta also hydrate the dinners/breakfasts Mountain House meals.

Hrmm... wondering if... since I already took the whole week off, should maybe instead consider heading-in Sunday in the night? That way capitalizing on lotta folks deciding to hang out and party on Labor Day to my benefit and minimize the suffering to just 1 day?

What's everyone elses game plan here?

Gary, with the overnight temps of your hunt area, and the distance you may need to pack out, I (as in me personally) would sit this weekend out.

Block

WKR
The bucks are more out in the open during archery... but other than that,,, General season is much more manageable all around if you hunt a good distance from the truck in SoCal..Long packouts are brutal enuf of Sept/Oct...I think I might have died tryin to pack out a buck or bear from some of my deep spots in Aug. I decided to wait this year and use more time off during general.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Well shoot... since BubbleHide is the human incarnation of a Mountain Goat... (I'm totally not kidding) whom I've had the amazement and good fortune to accompany him (eternally play catch-up with?) on journeys into the wild that literally started off with like basically a multi-hundred ft ascent where he was diggin' footholds for us into the "wall" of a hillside it was... with a shovel... and me holding a flashlight so he can see do to it amid the dust-storm it created in the night... I'm thinking it might be wise here to humbly bow-down outta these first few days then.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
That was a long time ago Gary. Now, my knees are bad along with ...
I call BS... you weren't even doping up like the rest of us poor shmucks with the arthur-rittiss~!

Bet all you'd have to do is get an Rx for either maybe Ketoprofen (Orudis KT)... or maybe Celoxcib (Celebrex) and you'd be straight man. You just gotta understand that a liver can only do soo much, so ya gotta make adjustments to your life style and go lightly on booze/wine/etc. Which I already kinda do now anyway since everything under the sun gives my "Fatassi" self acid reflux. Not saying I don't still enjoy a good Whiskey. But I just gotta be more judicious about it, and prepare for it with acid-blockers... otherwise I'd reflux up stuff that could melt the rust off a Chrome Bumper-Hitch!

I call BS... you weren't even doping up like the rest of us poor shmucks with the arthur-rittiss~!

Bet all you'd have to do is get an Rx for either maybe Ketoprofen (Orudis KT)... or maybe Celoxcib (Celebrex) and you'd be straight man. You just gotta understand that a liver can only do soo much, so ya gotta make adjustments to your life style and go lightly on booze/wine/etc. Which I already kinda do now anyway since everything under the sun gives my "Fatassi" self acid reflux. Not saying I don't still enjoy a good Whiskey. But I just gotta be more judicious about it, and prepare for it with acid-blockers... otherwise I'd reflux up stuff that could melt the rust off a Chrome Bumper-Hitch!
I go in for arthroscopic surgery in November for my right knee. The left will be after that.

I have acid reflux too, for a few decades now.

JRMiller

WKR
The only way you can hunt for three days in 110+ weather is if you spent a couple months acclimating to it first. If not, dont do it