Ohio Shed Hunting

Koby_Paul

FNG
Anyone know when the whitetail bucks will start shedding their antlers in Midwest Ohio area?

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
As early as February 1st.
We can rabbit hunt until February 28th and will find some in February.

Got two on camera yesterday in southern Ohio who had dropped already. Most still have them.

aham

FNG
You'll be able to find some bucks that have shed late January but i would wait till late February or early March to really start shed hunting. Usually when we go shed hunting in early Feb we wont find much and the driver around before dark and see multiple bucks with both sides.

xcutter

WKR
Had a buddy shoot a antlerless buck by accident last day of archery season in Indiana. Looked to be a 1-1/2 buck that had recently shed. That was on January 3rd.

Falro

FNG
This is the same question I had.
They start around the beginning of January and might hold till end of March. Usually the bigger ones shed first but it’s all weather related. Southern Ohio they shed sooner than northern. I usually wait till beginning of March to put on the miles. They get chewed up quick by rodents and squirrels so it’s always a gamble how long to wait

Falro

FNG
I saw an 8 point two weeks ago that still had a full rack. Not what I expected.
Yeah this year they’re holding extra long for some reason! I’ve been turkey hunting in April and seen both a racked buck and a buck that had velvet nubs in the same day 😳

IW17

FNG
Every area is different. I've been shed hunting eastern ohio since February 10. We've seen probably 50% of our bucks shed one or both antlers by mid December this year. Head up north in the Cleveland area, and just yesterday I walked a park and saw 9 bucks still holding antlers, and only 1 shed buck.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say half are still holding around here, north central area. We've found 8 so far, 2 matched sets.

jjwise97

FNG
Shot one in WV less than 10 miles from the Ohio border on Dec 29 that had shed pretty recently. In NC, I haven’t had one still holding antlers on camera in a few weeks.9A40CC2C-047C-47AD-A979-228AA1FDAD3A.jpeg

Had one just 3 weeks ago here in NC, that still had both sides. 8 pointer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk