Oil/ Cleaner of choice for barrel break in

Harvey_NW

WKR
Another vote for Boretech eliminator and Sweets for the tough stuff down the road. I use Bartleins break in method and I haven't had a rifle not shoot well after doing it, so I'm a believer. Clean the bore out of the box, fire one and clean x5, shoot a 3-5 shot group and clean. Repeat until copper fouling is minimal after shooting a group. Get a quality SS jag, brass will give you a false positive with copper detection.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I use Boretech as well. I have Eliminator, C4 carbon remover and Cu+2 copper remover. All of them work great. I really like the C4 for cleaning anywhere carbon builds up like my AR bolts.

CLR, carbon is gone in 5 patches. This barrel only had copper on the 1st shot and I used Montana copper killer.
CLR does work great, just removes blueing so be very careful with any drips and the crown. Get it off as soon as you push a patch through.

rayporter

WKR
just about any gun solvent will work if you use it! clr has been shown to damage the bore if left in the bore also.

i like butches bore shine but also use wipe out and sweets and C Bar and iosso. butches is most likely the most popular solvent among benchresters.

pick one and use it as directed.

i have tested sweets several times to see about damaging a bore. a barrel stub with a soaked patch showed no etching for me while others claimed it would etch the steel.

a penny put in a jar of sweets showed no etching. a penny soaked in a rag showed none but a bullet did.

Last edited:

packer58

WKR
just about any gun solvent will work if you use it! clr has been shown to damage the bore if left in the bore also.

i like butches bore shine but also use wipe out and sweets and C Bar and iosso. butches is most likely the most popular solvent among benchresters.

pick one and use it as directed.

i have tested sweets several times to see about damaging a bore. a barrel stub with a soaked patch showed no etching for me while others claimed it would etch the steel.

a penny put in a jar of sweets showed no etching. a penny soaked in a rag showed none but a bullet did.
Your testing of Sweets is interesting and a little eye opening.... I will admit that when using Sweets on the stubborn stuff it does make me a little nervous..

rayporter

WKR
i am pretty sure i put sweets on a stainless barrel stub also and had no etching. but i am not 100%sure on that one. i do leave it in the bore overnight on occasion.