Ok everyone, let’s get some help here

Dcrafton

WKR
I’m removing some wall paper, down to the stupid glue. I’ve tried the store bought stuff. Still stubborn.
What has worked for you guys.
I can’t go hunting this fall till this is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
Steam if it was put on with wallpaper glue. If steam is not working, do as mentioned above with the drywall mud.

Vinegar and water, we did a bunch that was on lath and plaster. Small squirt bottle with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Spray till generally wet, let sit a minute or two, then scrub with a brush or hit with a scraper. . . I've done it on drywall as well but it can be a PITA.

As others have said, a steamer is best.

grfox92

WKR
Vinegar and water, we did a bunch that was on lath and plaster. Small squirt bottle with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Spray till generally wet, let sit a minute or two, then scrub with a brush or hit with a scraper. . . I've done it on drywall as well but it can be a PITA.

As others have said, a steamer is best.
Do this. It works. I didn't do it personally but my company did on a reno we ware doing. Add 3 drops of dish soap to the mixture and hit it with a putty knife after a few minutes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Dcrafton

Dcrafton

WKR
We are working on the kitchen area that just had a 10” boarder of walk paper.
Just cussing at the left over glue.
I would hate to just cut that area of drywall out

S.Clancy

WKR
I bought some spray, sprayed the wall paper, then turned the shower on as hot as it could go for a half hour. It still took a couple hours.

EastMT

WKR
If it’s a real pain, keep wetting it several times until it soaks in good. I’ve done entire houses from the 30’s to the 60’s, some of that stuff wasn’t made in China!

Pn8hall

WKR
If the border is a thick vinyl type you have to get the outer vinyl layer either peeled off or scored so that whatever you use can have a chance to work. You can buy a special tool that will score the surface but usually you can just start peeling it before you get it wet and the outer layer will come off. Steamer is the best thing out there in my opinion. They are slow but they do work.

gabenzeke

WKR
On the plus side, you might draw a sheep tag by the time you're done. Wallpaper SUCKS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I feel for you. My entire kitchen is wall paper and they didn't prep the walls before papering it.

It will stay that way for the next 10-15 years when I retire and sell it. We redid both bathrooms that were also papered and it was a tedious PITA. The vinegar mix worked the best on the glue. You just had to be careful not to wet out the drywall paper too much or it would gouge from just looking at it.

In the end on the second one we tried thick primer over it to see if that was smooth enough without stripping the glue. Damned if it didn't work. That said, it is a small bathroom, and no one will scrutinize the quality of the paint in there.

Jeremy

sharpekd

FNG
I used a 50/50 mixture of water and fabric softener in a spray bottle. The fabric softener caused the water to stick to the wall more so it didn't just run down the wall. I tried one of those scoring tools you can get from the store but if you are too aggressive it damages the sheetrock. Some of the higher grade wallpaper required too applications. The first application allowed me to get the first layer off. The second application allowed me to peel off the glue. And take your time or else you will peel off the sheetrock paper and spend a lot of time mudding and sanding the damage.