OK Hog/Pig Hunting

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Hi. I have a question for anyone living in OK or familiar with the area.

I'm traveling to OKC for a 2 week work trip towards the end of May. I've been there many times, but only during the week. I'm trying to figure out what to do over the weekend for this trip. Are there any possibilities of going on a pig hunt? I would prefer a DIY public land style hunt, but not sure that is an option. Are there landowners that have pig problems that are open to hunters? Maybe everything is done via outfitters/guides. I really don't know. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I've never hunted pigs, so I'm green.

I know the weather in OK that time of year can be interesting for sure. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance. I'm planning to do more reading/research on my own, but thought I'd start here to see if someone could point me in the right direction or help me narrow down my research. Thanks!!!

okcaveman

FNG
Most of the public land in the state will sadly have hogs, outside of the NW corner of the state. They can be tough to find for as many as there are.i would look on the odwc website, figure out what wmas are in the range you are willing to go, and give the area biologist a call. They'll be happy to point you in the right direction

OP
weisenbu

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for that awesome info! Much appreciated!

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't personally had boot leather on public in Oklahoma but have been researching this heavily. Through scouring online forums, Hugo WMA, Red Slough WMA, and Honobia-Three Rivers WMA have all been mentioned as holding some good pig numbers.
Hope this helps!

I know a quite a few guys in the Muskogee area that hunt hogs regularly. However they are quite nocturnal and very difficult to hunt unless you have specific rigs for them. These guys also bait like crazy. Not saying you cant find them during the day, but I have hunted a lot of hog infested country for deer over the years and have yet to see one in the daytime. You also have to be registered with the wildlife dept to hunt at night.

Don't want to bust your bubble as they are here everywhere, but it's a tough hunt.

that said if you just want to shoot one and have a weekend distraction, there is an outfit between OKC and Tulsa called Shiloh Ranch. It is a high fence deal, but I hear they are great folks and it is a fun weekend and pretty reasonably priced. I believe they buy trapped hogs and set them free in their contained place. I think they also offer non high fence deer hunts too(during the season)

OP
weisenbu

weisenbu

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks sodaksooner for that info. I don't have high hopes of shooting one - more just looking to see some new country, get out of the city, and have some fun. I did talk to a wildlife biologist (per okcaveman's suggestion) and he said there are lots of hogs around and also mentioned the nocturnal aspect. He did put some fear in me too - ticks (I'm familiar being from MN), chiggers, fleas, poisonous snakes, nasty pig diseases, etc. :)

Thanks sodaksooner for that info. I don't have high hopes of shooting one - more just looking to see some new country, get out of the city, and have some fun. I did talk to a wildlife biologist (per okcaveman's suggestion) and he said there are lots of hogs around and also mentioned the nocturnal aspect. He did put some fear in me too - ticks (I'm familiar being from MN), chiggers, fleas, poisonous snakes, nasty pig diseases, etc. :)
As long as you are not set on killing one and just want something to do there are a lot of WMA's to take a stroll in. Never know, a guy might get lucky. That time of the year there won't be much human traffic, so might work out ok.

Btaylor

WKR
Spray your clothes down good with Sawyers the night before and you wont have any trouble with ticks or chiggers. Snake boots are handy but not a requirement, some skeeter spray for exposed skin might be handy too. the other thing that helps with tick and chiggers is keep your pants legs and shirt tail tucked.

Tartan

WKR
My only tip that seems to hold true is look for a wma with water on it. Lake, river, stream, marshy, etc. I've certainly seen hogs on more farmland/cattle terrain with the occasional water tank. But in my limited experience with a few of the southern OK wma's and corp land in north texas, has shown a higher concentration of pigs near the water.

Without bait, your best bet may be still hunting with the wind to your face. I've had the best luck finding them that way. Covering ground. They don't mind a little bit of noise (a group of them together make a racket) and they don't see very well.

Any excuse to get out is a good one. Good luck, hope to hear back on how it went.

dtape

FNG
It’s a bit of a drive from OKC, but Broken Bow Lake is surrounded by national forest and the eastern side has a lot of hogs. It’s all very hilly and steep county. During the winter and early spring, I would run into sounders of pigs foraging and roaming around at least twice a week, during the day. I could always hear them rooting around in the drains and bottoms from the tops of ridges. As things heated up and turkey season rolled around, I hardly ever ran into them except in the evenings when I was driving back. I’m not sure if they mostly became nocturnal because of the heat or just moved out of the hills and closer to water. There are definitely a lot of ticks in that area. I also saw what I was told were wild/feral cows and saw some feral horses, but I don’t think you’re allowed to shoot either of those. The Lower Mountain Fork River below the dam offers trout fishing but I’ve never tried it. There is also the McCurtain County Wilderness Area but you’re not allowed in it without written permission. It’s surrounded by barbed wire fencing to keep the cows out. You might try using electronic calls for hogs. I've never done it but people on youtube seem to have success with it.