OK now help requested on my full load out? Elk Pack for September CO

I know why he wants to take the phone, he has a Delorme Inreach. He can send texts via that Iphone. You can also take the camera for better quality kill pics.
I'd leave the bivy and the tent lantern. You're in a tent, no need for a bivy. Also the lantern won't be of much use. That hilleberg is small so hanging that up in your tent will just cramp it even more. I'd pick the labrador or the puffy, you won't need both. If you're going earlier season for elk, I'd bring the spotter. If you're hunting past sept 10th I'd leave the spotter at home. Most of the time bino's will do the trick as they are big and can be spotted a mile away with ease. Everything else looks good. That is a total weight that you'll be carrying at the bottom? Not just pack weight?

Also, the amount of extra pockets you're carrying is a little excessive. You have good lightweight gear it looks like. You wouldn't need both large belt pouches.

Here is my gear list to show you what I take.

Pack: Kifaru BT1 *Custom cut* 6 lbs
Medium belt pouch/Grab it/Horizontal lashing strap
MSR 4 L Drom-lite for bladder
Gen2 Hanging meat bag

Pack System 6 lbs 8 oz

Sleeping Bag: Enlightened Equipment Prodigy X Long/Wide 2lb
Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V 1 lb 2 oz
Ground Sheet: Tyvek 4 oz
Shelter: MLD Duomid/MLD Trailstar/Kifaru Megatarp (Haven't decided yet)

Food
7 day hunt I have about 1.5 lbs food per day, carrying around 10.5 lbs. It'll be homemade trail mix, tuna packets, tortillas, PB Bacon honey tortillas, dehydrated meals from home, granola bars etc etc.
Primus ETA Express 1 lb
Sea to summit spoon 1 oz
Fuel 8oz

Food 12lbs

Hygiene Kit:
toothbrush
Travel toothpaste
Dehydrated sea to summit soap
Small rewetting contact drops
Spare set of contacts
MSR Camptowel
1/2 roll of TP in a ziplock
Mini Deodorant stick

Hygiene Total: 8oz

First Aid Kit/Survival
Quick clot gauze
3 4x4 gauze patches
Super Glue
Neosporin packets
Alcohol Wipes
1 Pair of Rubber gloves
Assorted pills (Ibu, advil, etc)
Mole skin
6 Zip Ties
Duct tape
Spot 2
2 Bic Lighters
4 AAA Lithium Batteries
2 AA Lithium Batteries
Cotton Balls/Vaseline
Emergency Whistle
Map
Compass

First Aid/Survival 1lb 5oz

Kill Kit:
Lone Wolf Landslide
Lone Wolf Sharpener
5 Caribou Game Bags 24x28
1 pair rubber gloves
1 3mm Contractor trash bag
1 25 ft paracord
1 50 ft paracord
Marking ribbon wrapped around a pen

Kill kit: 1lb 5oz

Clothing *Not worn in*
Goretex Paclite rain coat
Exefficio boxers
1 Pair Smartwool Merino socks
Kuiu Merino Beanie
Filson Woolmits with fingertips cut
Drake Waterproof beanie
Kuiu 230 Merino top/May swap this for the first lite puffy

Clothing 3 lbs

Misc Gear

1 32 Oz Nalgene
Zlite short cut in half for seat/spare sleeping pad
Carmex
Garmin Dakota 20 GPS
4 Mouth Diaphragm calls
1 Elk Bugle
Aqua Mira Drops
3 Coffee Filters
Black Diamond spot headlamp
Contour HD HeadCam and Extra Battery

4 Lbs

Bow: Strother infinity with the usual accessories, I carry 5 arrows and no extras in the pack.
Scott Mongoose Release

6 lbs 8 oz

What I wear in:
Kuiu Merino 180 top
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Gaiters
Merino Smartwool hikers
Saloman Quest 4d's
Kuiu Baseball hat

This list may even change somewhat because with my partner we may just carry 1 stove, 1 first aid kit, so on and so forth.

Without my optics on my chest or the trekking poles in my hand the pack weight is 43 lbs 3 oz. This number includes 6 lbs for water. Total carried weight is 47 lbs 12 oz. This includes trekking poles and optics on my chest.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Well so here is what I am looking at dropping out - I will total up later and see what the savings total is!

Removed:

Camp chair

2 Medium Belt Pouches

Tent Lantern

Sunglasses

Otterbox Clip

Insulated cup

Some spare batteries

Replace the bag my kill kit is in with a KU pull-out (my current bag seems heavy)

Replace contractor bag with a Kifaru quarter bag (for lining my pack)

Got rid of either the sweater or the puffy. The puffy is not camo, so unless I buy a camo one from First Lite when they come out I guess the sweater will stay. I like the looks of the new puffy they have, so that will get figured out when I get mine

I am only using the outer tent on the Hilleberg so its like a really nice tarp

Dropping the Bivy unless the forecast seems colder than I expect

Dropped the spotter for this hunt

Added:

My Leki trekking poles.

Weight reduction feedback tonight.

Anymore ideas let me know, my flatlander lungs are already thanking you!

Ron

Gman

WKR
I'd get rid of the nalgene, you already have a heavy duty bladder. If you want to bring a cup for drinking around camp, I do for mixing my hydration drinks at camp I use this: http://www.rei.com/product/787278/sea-to-summit-x-mug folds totally flat and weights little. Or you can just use your cook pot as a drinking cup. Or if you're worried about your bladder being damaged I'd bring a spare lightweight bladder. I typically have a platypus in my pack and drom-lite for camp water. Nalgenes are just bulky in the pack for what you get.

I'd lose the 230 merino. I've carried mine countless times and have never worn it. It has to be pretty freakin cold for you to need the 230 in addition to your base merino, puffy coat, and outer shell during archery season. And don't sweat your puffy not being camo. You're probably not going to wear it while hunting anyway. Just when glassing or first thing in the morning when getting ready or in the evening when eating dinner and going to sleep. Choose the piece that's most functional and can cover the widest range of temps. For me a puffy is critical so I would go with that over a sweater if at all possible.

I would also make sure to have one contractor bag. Not only can you line your pack, it can act as an emergency rain jacket, and more importantly if it's hot out you can submerge your meat in a nearby creek to keep it cool.

It seems like you're pretty close to what you can get to in weight savings but don't be afraid to have one luxury item depending on needs. For example, for many years my back was chronically aching, so I'd bring a field chair and never regretted it. I've since seen an improvement in my back and didn't bring it on my 10 day elk hunt but it still goes on every scout! Some guys are minimalist to the letter and that works for them. But for me it's still important to have fun and not suffer the entire time.

Good luck.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone know how many stove canisters would be needed at that elevation? I would be doing some oatmeal maybe in the morning and one Mountain House later in the day. I have an MSR pocket rocket.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I would bring two 4 oz. canisters with an extra in the vehicle. You may only use one but not likely.

Here is my gear list to show you what I take.

Pack: Kifaru BT1 *Custom cut* 6 lbs
Medium belt pouch/Grab it/Horizontal lashing strap
MSR 4 L Drom-lite for bladder
Gen2 Hanging meat bag

Pack System 6 lbs 8 oz

Sleeping Bag: Enlightened Equipment Prodigy X Long/Wide 2lb
Sleeping Pad: Klymit Static V 1 lb 2 oz
Ground Sheet: Tyvek 4 oz
Shelter: MLD Duomid/MLD Trailstar/Kifaru Megatarp (Haven't decided yet)

Food
7 day hunt I have about 1.5 lbs food per day, carrying around 10.5 lbs. It'll be homemade trail mix, tuna packets, tortillas, PB Bacon honey tortillas, dehydrated meals from home, granola bars etc etc.
Primus ETA Express 1 lb
Sea to summit spoon 1 oz
Fuel 8oz

Food 12lbs

Hygiene Kit:
toothbrush
Travel toothpaste
Dehydrated sea to summit soap
Small rewetting contact drops
Spare set of contacts
MSR Camptowel
1/2 roll of TP in a ziplock
Mini Deodorant stick

Hygiene Total: 8oz

First Aid Kit/Survival
Quick clot gauze
3 4x4 gauze patches
Super Glue
Neosporin packets
Alcohol Wipes
1 Pair of Rubber gloves
Assorted pills (Ibu, advil, etc)
Mole skin
6 Zip Ties
Duct tape
Spot 2
2 Bic Lighters
4 AAA Lithium Batteries
2 AA Lithium Batteries
Cotton Balls/Vaseline
Emergency Whistle
Map
Compass

First Aid/Survival 1lb 5oz

Kill Kit:
Lone Wolf Landslide
Lone Wolf Sharpener
5 Caribou Game Bags 24x28
1 pair rubber gloves
1 3mm Contractor trash bag
1 25 ft paracord
1 50 ft paracord
Marking ribbon wrapped around a pen

Kill kit: 1lb 5oz

Clothing *Not worn in*
Goretex Paclite rain coat
Exefficio boxers
1 Pair Smartwool Merino socks
Kuiu Merino Beanie
Filson Woolmits with fingertips cut
Drake Waterproof beanie
Kuiu 230 Merino top/May swap this for the first lite puffy

Clothing 3 lbs

Misc Gear

1 32 Oz Nalgene
Zlite short cut in half for seat/spare sleeping pad
Carmex
Garmin Dakota 20 GPS
4 Mouth Diaphragm calls
1 Elk Bugle
Aqua Mira Drops
3 Coffee Filters
Black Diamond spot headlamp
Contour HD HeadCam and Extra Battery

4 Lbs

Bow: Strother infinity with the usual accessories, I carry 5 arrows and no extras in the pack.
Scott Mongoose Release

6 lbs 8 oz

What I wear in:
Kuiu Merino 180 top
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Gaiters
Merino Smartwool hikers
Saloman Quest 4d's
Kuiu Baseball hat

This list may even change somewhat because with my partner we may just carry 1 stove, 1 first aid kit, so on and so forth.

Without my optics on my chest or the trekking poles in my hand the pack weight is 43 lbs 3 oz. This number includes 6 lbs for water. Total carried weight is 47 lbs 12 oz. This includes trekking poles and optics on my chest.

Half roll of TP for 7 days ? My backside would be glowing red !
Tim

Mike7

WKR
I have the pocket rocket, and the 8 oz fuel cannister (which actually weighs 13 oz) will last for at least 20 boils at 5,000-6,000 ft elevation (these are usually double meal boils though in 1.2 L Titanium Pot), while the 4 oz container (actual weight 8 oz) functions well for at least 10 boils. This has been using MSR and Jetboil cannisters. So to be safe for 8 days, you might want to just take one larger cannister and then you will definitely have plenty of fuel (admittedly though, I have not tested single meal boils at the elevation you're talking about to know exactly what the pocket rocket will be able to do in those conditions).

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
One 8 oz. canister is definitely lighter that two 4 oz. canisters. The reason I carry two smalls is that the 4 oz. stows in my snow peak pot with a guyot squishy bowl, spork, and litemax stove. (the squishy bowl keeps everything quiet). Secondly, one time I did not turn the stove off all the way and I drained my only 8 oz. canister over night. Since it was during a fire ban, my freeze-dried was pretty crunchy for the rest of the trip :). So I pay a slight weight penalty for a bonehead proof system to prevent me from doing that again. Bottom line: 8 ozs. of fuel should work for you either way.

One 8 oz. canister is definitely lighter that two 4 oz. canisters. The reason I carry two smalls is that the 4 oz. stows in my snow peak pot with a guyot squishy bowl, spork, and litemax stove. (the squishy bowl keeps everything quiet). Secondly, one time I did not turn the stove off all the way and I drained my only 8 oz. canister over night. Since it was during a fire ban, my freeze-dried was pretty crunchy for the rest of the trip :). So I pay a slight weight penalty for a bonehead proof system to prevent me from doing that again. Bottom line: 8 ozs. of fuel should work for you either way.

Take the stove off of the fuel and you won't have to worry :)

You can use the neck gator you have as your pillow case. You can get rid of the "write in the rain" notepad and use the notepad app on your iphone. Also, can write notes on your maps.