OK....so, DT1 or DT2 ??

sk1

WKR
So I ordered the kuiu icon 5000 and returned it, just wasnt right for me.....my loss on shipping :(

so i have decided next week to place my kifaru order and quit messing around with other stuff, and see if it's the brand for me. i spoke with aron on the phone today and got lots of insight on the pack. i was set on the DT2, but then he brought up the point if you are physically capable of taking out a large portion of your animal plus what's already in your pack on the first trip out, you will be sitting there wishing you had more space, hence he recommends the DT1. i am assuming he means for elk or larger game animals, and elk happens to be my main passion....and i plan on taking out the largest load i possibly can on the first trip so most likely around 90-120lbs ish, depending on the scenario.

however at the same time i do alot of day trips once the initial elk season is over....i know i can compress it way down, but still seems like a bit much on a day trip, granted that being said, my day trips are around 1.5 to 3.5miles from my truck, so being able to carry out a good load on the first trip is still important

maybe typing it out answered my question for me already.......but what would you do? or current DT2 owners do you wish you went with the DT1?

just looking for some additional thoughts before i place my order next week! thanks!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Steve,

You seem to be paralazyed by indecision!

Draw straws and get to huntin'!

If it were me, I would get the DT1.

hunting1

WKR
I say DT2 and get a cargo panel or chair if most of your trips will be day or overnighters. DT1 if multi day trips will be the majority, just my opinion. A DT2 with belt pockets and even a pod you can fit alot of gear. Good luck!

Lawnboi

WKR
1 all the way.... the space is there when you need it for almost no weight penalty.. and it all compresses the same

The 1 will work equally well as a day/ weekender as the 2 imo. There both big packs. That extra material compresses to nothing on the 1, and will give you the space when you need it most.

My t1 is truely a do all pack, can hold a days worth of gear better than most other brands. I do want a kifaru spike camp for day/weekend outings though.

Both are going to be about the same for day hunting, there both going to be compressed a good bit.

dotman

WKR
Some will say if you go small you will be forced to pack less but I say go with the bigger pack and learn to limit your stuff to what is truely needed.

JG358

WKR
As small as the dt1 compresses down, I don't see much point to getting the smaller pack. Small enough for day trips yet big enough hold more than I can carry.
DT1 all the way:)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
DT1 and don't look back. You can always make it smaller, but you can't make a DT2 big enough to be a DT1. Do it.......

Yukondog

WKR
Go DT1 for reasons mentioned above. If it is not the do all pack you thought it would be buy a DT2 or DT3 with the extra pods and belt pouches.

For myself I bought the DT1 and LOVE the suspension more than anything. I have used it for backpacking and hunting. It does compress down very small as well. For what I do the DT1 is overkill, but I do have a long term plan for Alaska adventures in a couple years and wanted the capacity to spend 2 weeks away.

Besides, carrying the sleeping bags my two young sons use almost takes up the whole main chamber. I could not stop laughing this summer when my whole sleep system (pad, sleeping bag, pillow, clothes) fit in the lower compartment and only my sons sleeping bag was 3/4 of the main compartment. Funny stuff.

Matt

Gman

WKR
If a "T" I'd go 2. If DT I'd go 1 and cut the snow collar. I have a T2 and love it. No regrets. But if I needed to carry more or bigger or felt I wanted the DT suspension I'd go DT1. I had a longhunter and sold it for the weight savings of the T series. But still love the DT suspension and will probably ad a DT1 someday.

Beastmode

WKR
DT1 definitely. For 2000 cu in more for 5 oz it seems like a no brainer. It compresses down just as small and gets as big as you need.

I was in the same dilemma and after talking to a few people, including Aaron I am going with the DT1. Now I just need to fund it! Haha

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Steve,

You seem to be paralazyed by indecision!

Draw straws and get to huntin'!

If it were me, I would get the DT1.

yeah that's one way of looking at it.....but I like to think of it as relying on others experience to make sure I don't make a decision I'll regret.....after all, $800 packs don't grow on trees! that's why I love rokslide, i know i ask alot of opinions and questions(and actually get responses).....but the non-biased opinions and lessons learned by others have no doubt already saved me lots of money in poor decisions i probably would have made on my own trying to find the right stuff, as I have never done this much research on backpacking/hunting gear ever before until now

after talking with aron and hearing what most have to say, i agree id rather make sure i have enough space and go for the DT1, shoot i already carry my tenzing 6000 for day hunts and that weighs the same or slightly more than a DT1

I will join the kifaru family with a DT1, 26" composite stays, longhunter lid, and 2 small belt pouches....i hope it treats me as well as it does most.

going to cut the snow collar off the DT1 as well as any unnecessary straps on the longhunter lid, at least that is my plan without seeing it in person

as always, thanks for the advice

Yukondog

WKR
Good decision! There is a lot you can cut off. I simply can't so it. I have thought about the snow collar and the sleeping bag divider but I can't make myself do it. Like I said, you can always buy another bag to go on the frame down the road if it is too much. You will love the frame. Once set you have the perfect suspension ever time regardless of the bag you put on it.

Matt

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I'm not going to cut off lots.....it will be hard for me to do it as well. However, the snow collar is gonna go and any straps I dont need on the longhunter lid, I think Aron says his LH lid weighs around 6 or 7oz now.....got the composite stays so hopefully they fit my body type properly or ill have to switch them out.

I jumped the gun lol....I was waiting until monday for some funds to transfer to my checking account from paypal, but I ordered it tonight on the card and will pay it off monday, the hopes of having it for my late season cow hunt kicked in and i figure every day helps! lol

went with foliage (even though coyote brown seems to be really popular....at least ive seen people not buy them used saying if it werent foliage) i just kept thinking of all the areas i hunt and foliage seemed like the best solid color to pick if not springing the extra for multi cam. also added the grab it as i can definitely see how it could be very useful, especially when i take my snowshoes or snowboard for late season.

now the wait................

have you seen the longhunter lids? THEYRE HUGE! its pretty much a daypack itself... i think i could fit 3 days worth or food or maybe my bag, pad, and some clothes...

seems overkill on a 7k cube pack

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
have you seen the longhunter lids? THEYRE HUGE! its pretty much a daypack itself... i think i could fit 3 days worth or food or maybe my bag, pad, and some clothes...

seems overkill on a 7k cube pack

Yeah I know they are big......I liked Aron's idea of using that and possibly the sleeping bag compartment to store gear for day hunts and leave the pack compressed and compact.

Also he mentioned it's nice when you have an animal down to try and get as much gear as possible out of the main compartment so you have room for meat

Both of those ideas make sense to me, but who knows maybe it will be too much....I'll just need to get my hands on the pack to truly decide what the best way it works for me will be, maybe a regular lid would be wanted in the future, maybe not

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Go DT1 for sure.

IMO when you pack the main compartment you can't really pack the side pockets to their 1800 cu in capacity. You have to load the side sleeves FIRST and then load up the pack inside is what I've found. Otherwise good luck getting a 85mm spotter in and out of the side. That is reason enough right there to go with the DT1 over the DT2 as I think when you start cramming the packs full that 1800 is maybe about half of that. Still handy and well layed out pack, but just don't think the sleeves are nearly as functional when the main pack is stacked full has been my experience atleast.

Personally, I'd go with either the XTL lid or the standard with a KU possibles pouch on it. The standard lid possibles will be cheaper and lighter than the other two lids, and the XTL is nice as you can use the straps on top of the lid to strap other bulk items or a tripod or what not to the top of the pack for easy access. Just what I'd do atleast.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
DT1 I had a 2 and switched to a 1. If you don't need the capacity the snow collar just folds in.