Okie in Washington

Hey all, figured I'd introduce myself before I start searching these boards for all the information I can consume on PNW hunting. From Oklahoma and currently stationed in Washington. Most of my time until the last 3 years was spent chasing whitetails. Not a complete hunting newb, yet I have a lot to learn with other big game. Primarily an Archery hunter but still studying and learning the spot and stalk method over the treestand/blind method.

Here to read and learn from you all. Current areas of study are e-scouting and understanding specific animal habitats and needs. As well as what to look for prior to putting boots on the ground.

Planned Washington hunts for 2021:
Archery: Eastern Elk. Any Deer
Any Legal: Fall Bear
Ducks when time allows

Welcome -- lifelong WA resident and hunter here.

Not sure where you're stationed, assume JBLM? If so I highly suggest researching West Side elk hunting, it is closer to you and many Eastern units have moved to spike only. I have been archery elk hunting the East Side for 20 years and will be switching over to the West Side next year, it's just not worth it for a 0.0000005% chance at a spike.

Good luck!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Welcome and thank you for your service! If you’re near JBLM, shoot me a message. I’m in the area as well and can try to shorten your learning curve.

OP
shaneatkinson82
Welcome! Where are you stationed?
Welcome -- lifelong WA resident and hunter here.

Not sure where you're stationed, assume JBLM? If so I highly suggest researching West Side elk hunting, it is closer to you and many Eastern units have moved to spike only. I have been archery elk hunting the East Side for 20 years and will be switching over to the West Side next year, it's just not worth it for a 0.0000005% chance at a spike.

Good luck!

Thanks...JBLM.

I did a little digging into both East and West. I tried the multi-season and lost on that. Here is what I was thinking via the research on GoHunt. It appeared most Western GMUs were private land and crowded with little harvest %. I did recently find new information on that and have started to look into those for next season.

The downside of not having the Western tag (as you point out) is the fact I need to drive about 3+ hours on average to get to any general season areas. I was ok with this for now since I can chase deer as well. I will hunt most of my deer/ bear on the West side (JBLM) when time allows but really want to get into big open country. All of that said, next year I will most likely go with an Eastern Elk tag. Still a lot to learn about the state.

Here's to hoping my .000000005% 1 point entry gets me something on all the other draws I put in for here.

OP
shaneatkinson82
Thanks
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie
Appreciate it. Glad to see someone is not afraid to shake hands.
Welcome and thank you for your service! If you’re near JBLM, shoot me a message. I’m in the area as well and can try to shorten your learning curve.
Thanks and I will once I figure out how!

Thanks...JBLM.

I did a little digging into both East and West. I tried the multi-season and lost on that. Here is what I was thinking via the research on GoHunt. It appeared most Western GMUs were private land and crowded with little harvest %. I did recently find new information on that and have started to look into those for next season.

The downside of not having the Western tag (as you point out) is the fact I need to drive about 3+ hours on average to get to any general season areas. I was ok with this for now since I can chase deer as well. I will hunt most of my deer/ bear on the West side (JBLM) when time allows but really want to get into big open country. All of that said, next year I will most likely go with an Eastern Elk tag. Still a lot to learn about the state.

Here's to hoping my .000000005% 1 point entry gets me something on all the other draws I put in for here.

Good luck, I used to draw Quality Bull every ~4-5 years on the dot, this will now be year 7 of no tag if I don't draw. The unit I put in for hasn't had tag cuts, and the # of people putting in hasn't gone up drastically, not sure what happened.

I am not familiar enough with West Side Elk to give you public land pointers, but I know a lot of guys that do well. No idea what units they're hunting in, I know the Peninsula, Issaquah (mostly private), Duval (mostly private), and down by Rainier are popular but can be combat zones. The Nook is one of the best bull tags in the state if you can draw it.

Eastside Archery Deer is fun but challenging, let me know where you're headed and I might be able to give you some general pointers.

Thank you for your service.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, I was hoping you were one of the navy guys in Kitsap. Anyways, access is actually the easiest part of west side elk hunting in my opinion. A lot of private timber companies down in 530/506/673 allow hunting access for free. Then there is tons of public land around the Mt St. Helens and Ranier herds. The difficult part is finding elk and then being able to get to them in this thick stuff. You really need to scout and pattern and come up with a game plan preseason to be successful. You’re not just going to show up, climb the tallest mountain, and get lucky with your binos over here. Regardless of what you do, best of luck to you

OP
shaneatkinson82
Ah, I was hoping you were one of the navy guys in Kitsap. Anyways, access is actually the easiest part of west side elk hunting in my opinion. A lot of private timber companies down in 530/506/673 allow hunting access for free. Then there is tons of public land around the Mt St. Helens and Ranier herds. The difficult part is finding elk and then being able to get to them in this thick stuff. You really need to scout and pattern and come up with a game plan preseason to be successful. You’re not just going to show up, climb the tallest mountain, and get lucky with your binos over here. Regardless of what you do, best of luck to you
Ahh, sorry I suck at swimming so I joined the Army.

Thanks for the tips. I got out a little at the very end of December with the bow when I got here and quickly learned "walking" through the woods is not as easy as other places I have been. Tracking preseason is crucial here and I am already dropping pins all over OnX of places to "scout." Currently my goal is to at a minimum drive some of these roads to get a feel of what can and cannot be used based on imagery and maps. Since I moved here in Dec I have not been out much (mostly due to the position I am in).

Once again appreciate the reply!

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
That’s ok, I was in the army too. I’m surrounded by squids over here with all these naval bases. Well, I’d you ever make it out to the Olympics I might be able to help you out. The hunting Washington forum is another good resource

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the community and to the beautiful Pacific NW.

Hope the community and this neck of the Woodson everything you hoped for.

FYI - we’ve got a few elk west of the cascades too.17D3CDE2-8E55-41CF-893A-95CFCE6C6216.jpeg