Oklahoma Archery Antelope

Nichols13

FNG
Anyone done this October OTC hunt? Will be going for the first time this year and was curious if anyone had any tips or tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hunt it normally every year, it’s a post rut hunt so decoys our out the question, and they are pretty riled up since it’s post rifle season. FYI they majorly upped CDP/Landowner tags this year, so bow season might be a little sparse. Your best bet is water.

OP
N

Nichols13

FNG
I hunt it normally every year, it’s a post rut hunt so decoys our out the question, and they are pretty riled up since it’s post rifle season. FYI they majorly upped CDP/Landowner tags this year, so bow season might be a little sparse. Your best bet is water.

Thank you that helps a ton! Have you had much luck in the past?

Thanks, but what ever place you decide to hunt, my advice is spend first day glassing to see where they are watering and go from there.

atamsen

FNG
Anyone done this October OTC hunt? Will be going for the first time this year and was curious if anyone had any tips or tricks.

I'll be going for the first time for Oklahoma this year too man... best of luck!

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be out there too. We’re thinking water holes for us, but want to try a little bit of spot and stalk for fun.

Rough year, didn’t see many >4.5 year olds. One of the toughest years I seen. Numbers where way down. Quality in general was down . hope y’all are piling them up. Biggest we killed was 70. I’m normally hunting atleast a mid to upper 70’s. Pretty much every year and think I glassed up one goat over 70 this year.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
Headed out to Oklahoma tomorrow. Anybody else hunting this weekend?

We’re thinking spot and stalk is what we’ll end doing. On private ground luckily so maybe they won’t be so leery.

OP
N

Nichols13

FNG
Headed out to Oklahoma tomorrow. Anybody else hunting this weekend?

We’re thinking spot and stalk is what we’ll end doing. On private ground luckily so maybe they won’t be so leery.

I went last week spot and stalk and had plenty of opportunities. Closest I could get was 80 yards

OP
N

Nichols13

FNG
Stay low and move slow! Lol If you have OnX, pm me and I can send you some pins where I saw some.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have OnX. Thanks for the offer though.

I think the moving slow and being patient will be the most difficult part for me.

outward

FNG
I hunted it with 6 other guys and came home without firing an arrow. 3 of the group got goats out of blinds but spot/stalk was tough. We were on 30k acres of private (DIY) and went in classically overconfident. We didn't get serious enough with our stalking until the last day and nearly got it done at that point. I'm sure you could get lucky, but in general we couldn't be successful unless it were a belly crawl for the last 300+ yards and take hours to complete a stalk. When we did that we could get it done with the right setup of a bedded buck or terrain with the right topography. Also, no form of decoy seemed to work. Better to just be stealthy and slow. We hadn't hunted OK before and it basically took us the whole week to figure out the right game plan for stalking. In the end we wished we had just a couple more days. Maybe next year...

tteel

FNG
I am sure this will offend some people but I dont think Oklahoma really has the antelope population to allow for OTC non resident tags. Wyoming has more antelope than people and you still have to draw a tag. I expect the antelope will be increasingly difficult to hunt with even more difficulties gaining access to private ground.

Oklahoma definitely isn’t the most sought after destination for antelope hunting, but there are huntable numbers. Hunting over water, or finding crossing points on fence lines seem to work best. Spot and stalk is always difficult but it’s doable depending on terrain.

swampokie

WKR
With legislators like the one we have from that end of the panhandle trying to eradicate the antelope I hardly feel that we will stop catering to non rez anytime soon. Yes, catering and giving away game to non residents! We give non rez SIX deer for 300$ and I have to listen to Colorado residents gripe because they r only charging non residents 400$ for ONE deer. Oh and 35% of tags to non residents isn't acceptable to Colorado but Oklahoma has one one hundredth the amount of antelope, elk, mulies, and bear yet we in NO WAY limit non residents by % or any other way on otc or draw hunts. I for one think its a crock and im really tired of the CATERING to non residents at the expense of Oklahoma residents. There it is. Yall all come to Oklahoma and buy u some otc unlimited tags boys n girls