Old 10x42 els vs new 10x42 els

I have an older pair of swaro els, the non HD non swarovision version. For the guys who have spent time behind them both how much better is the newer version?

We own both, both bought new...2003 and 2012 if memory serves me right. The SV version is clearer especially around the perimeter and slightly better in the center too. I'd rate the old pair very good optically and the newer pair excellent. That said if all I had was the older version I could be a happy hunter. We ended up with both since my wife wanted a pair in kitchen to glass the sheep, deer and bears above the house and complained when I took "her" binos hunting. The second pair solved the problem. The SV version is about 3 or 4 ounces heavier on my scale as the field flattener lenses add weight and the barrels are a slightly different shape.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
i spent some time with pairs of 10x42, one sv, one not.

the simpliest i can keep it, and quantify the experience, is to say that there is less focusing with the sv version. the non SV were pretty damn good. if i got a good price on a non SV model, i dont feel i’d be missing much at all.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Thank you guys for your input. Its so hard to tell by looking in a pair in a store and not out in the feild

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
The new SLC's are better than the old el's. Brighter and better edge to edge clarity. I feel that the new el's are slightly better than the new slc's.

Bkdc

FNG
Just like Str8shtr says. The post 2011 SLC’s (SLD-HD and newer SLC WB) are optically superior to the old EL’s. The new EL’s are at the same level or slightly better as the SLC on axis but are sharp to the edges if you like that effect. I’ve made this comment before... that I find it interesting that old EL’s sell for much more on the used market than a new SLC which is clearly optically superior except for the minimal focus distance. But people keep out shelling out lots of money for the old EL’s on the used optics forum.

Last edited: