Old Africa and Alaska Hunting Books..........???

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
What to do with old books.....??? Was a time when pleasure was sitting in a comfortable chair, reading old Leather Bound Hunting books, with a fine brandy. Suddenly hunters don't write about hunts, they do a video. Now people quest for the most thrilling video on You-Tube, racing from video to video.

Does no one sit in peaceful quiet, near a happy warm fireplace, with a fine brandy and slowly relive the 1800's and early 1900's page by page of incredible accounts of hunting without a cellphone video recorder....???

I have Samuel L. Bakers, "Wild Beasts and their Ways" (a second printing 1890, Leather bound)

"Baker left a wealth of study in the science of hunting firearms and ballistics, and accounts as one of the world's few hunters that used the two bore rifle, the world's largest gun calibre for the purpose. He described in great detail his observations of the animal world, account in which, his book Wild Beasts And Their Ways (1890) ranks highest".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Baker#:~:text=Sir Samuel White Baker, KCB, FRS, FRGS (8,and Major-General in the Ottoman Empire and Egypt.

Interestingly. I have "Old" books on Hunting either Alaska or Africa, most I have read, and planned to reread when I got old. Sadly now I am now old and rapidly going blind.

I need to sell all this stuff. Strangely no one will help, or can help. This is not a plea for help, just a problem of where I live. This is a vexing problem, with no apparent solution. Sadly someone will throw this "Junk" in the trash, not knowing what it is.

Anyway I have a hope that this thread could be more then addressing the vexing issues of an old Alaskan. See, it haunts me that young men and middle aged men have no thirst for, slowly consuming 476 pages of written word, with stunning (often gold leaf) plates of late 1800's hunting illustrations.

I am hoping for a discussion of the relative value of a $300.00 monster high quality Television, that will be eclipsed in sixteen months by the newer super improved, ultra quality Television thingie. As opposed to purchasing leather bound old hunting books from the late 1800's and early 1900's for roughly the same money, difference being the book if cared for will still be a thrilling slow page by page adventure in year 2095. The televisions long-long deep in some urban land fill with other (must have) latest electronic entertainment. Buried forever and ever with those damn cell-phone things brought forth by the devil himself to torment mankind.

Last edited:

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I still love reading old books and have a good collection of old hunting books to read yet. Lots of great stories out there.

I enjoy reading, especially the old stories of hunting the far away places. I also get a kick of reading the old Gun Digest, reloading manuals and the like that highlighted the latest new and improved cartridge and strategy. Some of the best books I have came from a long time family friend. When I first got them, the whole box smelled of wood smoke and part of the allure of reading them was to sit, read and smell the wood smoke even though there was no fire.

kowalski

FNG
Im a 32 year old history teacher who is also a fan of the older authors. I wouldn't mind picking up a book or to if you're willing to sell.

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that the form of delivery now is not as romantic or tactile as in the past. I love watching a great hunting video. I also sit by the fire and spend time with books of all sorts (right now its Robby's Mule Deer book I won in the shoot put on by NoLimits/Rokslide). Issues of what happens to all of the electronics that will be discarded is a very real, and hopefully we get ahead of the curve on recycling and reusing, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I think the info in both forms is of value and with the digital age who knows where and what will happen with all these 1's and 0's...

With that said DEFEND ANALOG.

Fatcamp

WKR
Do you have a particular book in mind you would like to revisit? Particularly about Africa?

I would be willing to read it into a CD player for you to listen to. Could send it in installments and return the book when done.