Old bow vs new bow

I've only used compound bows (about 7 years now) but I've got a few old shakespeare recurve bows from the 60's hanging in my room. I never got around to shooting them and I was kind of wondering if it is better to just start with a brand new bow and keep these in the wall? I don't see any cracks or structural damage but they are 50+ years old.

oldgoat

WKR
They are probably fine to shoot as long as limbs aren't twisted, but even twisted limbs can usually be fixed! I'd be more worried about them being too heavy of draw to start with regardless of what poundage you shot with compound!

slvrslngr

WKR
String one up and go for it, the worst than can happen is it breaks. I’d wear eye protection and long sleeves though. Old bows tend not to have been stored well so twisted limbs or delamination are legit concerns. Might be worth taking them to someone with knowledge of trad bows and have them checked out.
If you do string them at home, take your time getting them back to full draw, don’t string it up and just power back to full draw. Draw it a few inches and let down, then draw it a few more inches and let down. Keep doing that until you get to full draw. Each time you draw listen for any ticks or pops, if it’s making noises like that, it not likely going to survive full draw. Good luck!

PS. And I would absolutely use a bow stringer.