Old bows vs new

Cowbell

WKR
Guys, I struggle with this every offseason. I currently hunt with a 13 yr old bow and am tempted to buy a newer bow every year. The problem is, I honestly don't see enough difference between the bow I shoot and the newest models on the showroom floor to justify the massive investment (actually more like "splurge" with the computer-like depreciation of new bows). How many of you experience this and what are others thoughts? Am I missing something. Guys in pro shops want to tell me I need a new bow every time I bring mine in.

netman

WKR
I was in your shoes two years ago. I did a lot of research and chatting with bow pros I know. I learned that technology peaked out a few years ago. So I bought a like new Halon 32 for less than half price. I’m tickled with this bow. However I was shooting a 17 year old bow prior to buying the Halon.

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I was In that boat a few years ago. I shot a Martin for 11-12year and it was amazing. It rocked the old muzzy zero affect rest. I killed truck loads of deer with it, but I got caught up in the speed craze about 5 years ago and insisted I needed a new bow. So I sold my Martin and invested in a Bowtech destroyer. It is smoking fast and quiet but I have never shot it well. I've missed several nice deer that I swear never would've been missed with the old Martin. Lesson learned, if it ain't broke dont fix it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I shoot a 10+ year old bow and go through the "do I need a new bow" almost yearly. I was tempted to buy one on this forum several weeks ago. I decided to keep mine because I can't see the upside to a new one. I shoot a 450 grain arrow at 305fps. I'm not seeing anything on the market that outperforms it enough to justify switching. But I'll consider it again and again I'm sure.

ridgefire

WKR
I upgraded bows a few years back and I'm happy with the decision. I went from a 2008 Katera to a 2015 Carbon Spyder Turbo. They both kill animals but the newer one is easier to shoot accurately and is lighter to pack around.

MattB

WKR
2 things: bows have wear parts and will fail eventually, and you can buy last year's model NIB and take advantage of the computer-like depreciation.

Also was in your shoes a year and a half ago. Bought a like new 2007 bow for $200 and glad I did. Really no technological advantage to new bows.

Last edited:
I upgraded from a 2002 Parker Feathermag to a 2012 Mathews Heli-m a few years ago. I gave $600 for the Heli-m fully loaded, which was a little over half what Mathews' new model at the time (Halon) would've cost bare. I doubt that I'll ever buy a brand new bow as long as 2-3 year old flagship models can be had for less than half their original price. The pace of improvement in bow design seems to have plateaued, and I'm fine with running a few years behind on technology.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
It makes me feel better seeing some of your replies. I shoot a bowtech allegiance by the way. It and the Matthews switchback came out about the same time and really are both still awesome bows, better than many of the models built since.

Northpark

WKR
2 things: bows have wear parts and will fail eventually, and you can buy last year's model NIB and take advantage of the computer-like depreciation.

I took advantage of this. I bought a NIB Prime Logic about a month ago at 50% off because it was last years model. I just stacked 4 arrows into about an inch a 30 yards this morning. It’s super forgiving and stable.

16Bore

WKR
Animals haven’t evolved enough that equipment can’t keep up.

Skill and confidence, on the other hand, is fleeting. This “long range” bow shit is about as asinine as it gets. I stole a post season G5 from Sportsman’s Warehouse and it’s lightyears beyond the Martin Gonzo Safari I used to shoot 25+ years ago 😂

fatlander

WKR
Is that new bow going to prevent you from being able to hunt any more than you would have if not spending the money? If buying it doesn’t cut into your actual hunting budget, I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Yes they are better IMO, probably not much in speed, but much more forgiving as far as tune and consistency. I felt pretty much the same way shooting a 7 year old bow. I finally decided I liked the way a newer bow felt and bite the bullet and purchased one a couple weeks ago. Even though my old bow was a great bow and it tuned well, I can already shoot this new bow more accurately which is a big deal. I do all of my own tuning and noticed a huge difference in the hold on target and overall tune, more down the center of the power stroke and arrows just fly well out of it.

I think it will depend on the bow but for me that constant accuracy is worth the upgrade. I could shoot well with the old bow but the misses are much smaller with this one.

TSAMP

WKR
I have a 8 year old hoyt and i will upgrade before I spend another 150 bucks on strings again for it. Likely will upgrade soon and keep it as my backup. My opinion is after 10 years hang it up and move on, but the speed/weight of bows hasnt changed much in recent years so a couple year old model is just fine.
Bottom line is get a new one, youll likely shoot better and if your on this site you probably will use the hell out of it. I have a hottub on my patio that could of been a guided elk hunt. Now that was a dumb purchase. New bow? Not even close.

KSP277

WKR
Used bow rack is your friend. Tons of 1-3 year old bows out there at half the new sticker price. I don’t know what bow your shooting but if you haven’t shot anything else in 13 years your gonna be surprised how much smother the draw is, how much quieter, and just generally how good it feels. Your in that window where things really started taking off several years ago, and then it seemed like the speed thing went too far, and we’ve settled back down a touch in last 3-4 years. I got crazy and bit on the speed kick awhile back. Had a Mathews Monster XLR8 with 80 lb limbs. It’d shoot a field point like a laser beam. Stupid fast. Never could make it shoot broadheads. Sometimes it would deploy mechanicals upon release. And they’d go into outer space. Took a beating selling it and getting back to reality. Point being, yeah bows have improved, quite a bit in 13 years, but you don’t have to buy a brand new one to see those improvements.

Laramie

WKR
Dang you guys have me thinking again smh. My 2008 bow is feeling old again.

Read1t48

WKR
I bought a used bow getting into archery and have no regrets. The fully loaded Mathews was 1/2 price of new bows. Some hunting partners get new ones every year. I feel confident that my 6+ year old bow is totally adequate. I had a long bow made and if I think I need a new compound, I just take out the long bow. Whew!! What a difference.
I will say that tuning a newer bow seems to be easier for the average archer and allows for a lot of self adjusting / tweaking without walking into a shop. But I also like supporting the guys that help make our sport possible.