Old dog syndrome (vestibular disease)

Finch

WKR
Has anyone else experienced this with their dog. Our 12 year old girl just started having issues today. She can't keep her balance and falls down, head tilted to one side, constant eye flickers, vomiting, etc. Google says vestibular disease.

It's hard to watch but these are classic symptoms it seems. She has arthritis so we're going to keep her in the crate overnight so she doesn't hurt herself.

The internet says this should pass on 24-48 hours. I just hope this isn't a constant thing. Anyone else had this problem? It's hard watching your best bud going downhill.

Pic from better days
20200706_085458.jpg

I had a beagle with it and she got over it as quickly as it came on and it never affected her again. It was a long time ago, but I think the vet gave her an antibiotic.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
Eesh good luck- I hope it passes quickly. Our last pooch had similar symptoms but unfortunately her problems were much more serious. Hopefully not the case for your situation.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Eesh good luck- I hope it passes quickly. Our last pooch had similar symptoms but unfortunately her problems were much more serious. Hopefully not the case for your situation.
Not to bring back bad memories but what do you mean more serious? Sorry to hear.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I had a beagle with it and she got over it as quickly as it came on and it never affected her again. It was a long time ago, but I think the vet gave her an antibiotic.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Hoping for this. Antibiotics? Ear infection perhaps?

Bl704

WKR
Not to bring back bad memories but what do you mean more serious? Sorry to hear.
We had a border collie that was diagnosed with vestibular disease, but it must've been a stroke, and she passed very quickly.

Similarly my old lab had some similar problem, but I could tell it was something different as she had lost a lot of weight.

A long way of saying vestibular is like vertigo for dogs. There could be other conditions that represent similarly.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I had a dog experience it once. I felt awful for her. It is like their whole world gets turned upside down. Just like you said .... head tilted almost upside down, vomiting, lack of balance and coordination. It did pass after 2-3 days and it was only a one time occurrence,.

joushz

FNG
Just went thru this with mom and dads 12 yr old, it was a first for us as well. The vet gave them some meds to give her to help and shes recovered but she still a little wobbly not that it stops her.

Scoot

WKR
I didn't want to say because I didn't want to plant a "catastrophic seed" too firmly for you. Our pooch apparently had brain cancer. My assumption is that's not a likely deal for you. Good luck- I hope all goes well and I imagine it likely will.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I didn't want to say because I didn't want to plant a "catastrophic seed" too firmly for you. Our pooch apparently had brain cancer. My assumption is that's not a likely deal for you. Good luck- I hope all goes well and I imagine it likely will.
Gotcha and appreciate the info. No seed planted...I have hopes that this will be gone in a day or so. She's in the crate for the night so she won't hurt herself.

Just went thru this with mom and dads 12 yr old, it was a first for us as well. The vet gave them some meds to give her to help and shes recovered but she still a little wobbly not that it stops her.
Curious of the meds if you talk to your parents soon.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Two of my GSP's had same issue at he same age as yours, issues did pass. Happened one time more to one of them.

joushz

FNG
It was treated like it was an inner ear infection with ammoxicillin. She was nauseous as well so they also prescribed some antacid and a pill to take before the antacid to protect the stomach lining.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TomButler

FNG
It's been a long time, I find it quite normal that when dogs grow old and get old they often get a lot of diseases in the process, our work can only reduce or prevent our pets, you can refer to petdiseasenet to read and see how to prevent diseases for your pets.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Our Springer got it when he was 14-15 years old. It was hard to watch, couldn't stand up, throwing up, peeing himself. We were directed to give him 1/2 a tablet of motion sickness pills. It took a good week or two for him get over it, but he still had a head tilt and was never right after that. He ended up passing a few months later.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Our Springer got it when he was 14-15 years old. It was hard to watch, couldn't stand up, throwing up, peeing himself. We were directed to give him 1/2 a tablet of motion sickness pills. It took a good week or two for him get over it, but he still had a head tilt and was never right after that. He ended up passing a few months later.
Dang, sorry to hear that. Our old girl Molly (just turned 14 last month) is still doing good. She's had this episode a couple times but recovered fully for the most part. Still has a little head tilt. Sucks seeing them get old.