Old Man and Alaska Caribou

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Check out RC860 for 40 mile Caribou. If you're renting a vehicle, this hunt can be easy and quite crazy and crowded if Caribou are near the road. If you're doing a drop camp, that can get you away from the crowds. About 2hr drive North East of Fairbanks gets you into Caribou country. This herd is at a high so you should have good opportunity if timing is right. Hope that helps.
Wasn't the deadline for these hunts already come and gone?

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
My bad, saw it was a Registration hunt. Lot of hunters for sure. Not listed for the 2020-21 season the the ADF&G yet.

I took my grandfather on a north slope caribou hunt 2 years ago and he was 76. The terrain was tough on him but we took our time and he got around just fine. As someone said above, trekking poles are a must!

mooster

WKR
I hunted with Artic Air out of Kotz last fall. They flight float planes so you’ll be lake dropped. We could climb above camp without issue but once we were 100 yds from camp, it was on. That said, not all tussocks are created equal. Some areas were more easily traversed, some areas were more deep and irregularly spaced making them much harder to traverse. We were two fit 45 yr olds and found our progress to be about 50 min/mile, keep our range limited. Keep in mind that you may have to backpack your harvest back to camp so having a boy on your back while traversing the tussocks is much harder.
This was our n=1 experience out of Kotz. Other transporters out of Kotz may have river or sandbar drops that may be different.

OP
Kerrbow

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Artic Air out of Kotz last fall. They flight float planes so you’ll be lake dropped. We could climb above camp without issue but once we were 100 yds from camp, it was on. That said, not all tussocks are created equal. Some areas were more easily traversed, some areas were more deep and irregularly spaced making them much harder to traverse. We were two fit 45 yr olds and found our progress to be about 50 min/mile, keep our range limited. Keep in mind that you may have to backpack your harvest back to camp so having a boy on your back while traversing the tussocks is much harder.
This was our n=1 experience out of Kotz. Other transporters out of Kotz may have river or sandbar drops that may be different.
That's my biggest concern is dealing with that stuff. Hoping that we don't have to deal with much of those. Were you able to close in on the caribou or not?