Old or New?

n2mywake

FNG
Same unit but a new spot we've not been in. I can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll have 18 days this September so my plan is to hit several of my regulars for a day or two and also check out a couple of new spots. I'll probably do a couple of 3-ish day backpack trips in there too.

I've got the week of labor day and the week after muzzleloader to do whatever I please. It will be a game time decision on where to start and go from there.

Last year's archery season ended with disappointment when I blew a chipshot on a real nice buck. Hopefully, this year the elk are more cooperative for me.

Just five weeks to wait...

Sled

WKR
New ish. Been there before but only put a couple days in. My old spots are coming up with low elk numbers due to a couple variables.

Old. The elk love it there. I know it really well. I’m 100% in the past 8 years. BUT.... I gotta say I actually know an area that’s just as nice with bigger bulls for sure. But I’m never scratching my head not knowing where to look next and that’s hard to walk away from.

vanish

WKR
Hopefully I'll shoot a bull in my new (draw unit) spot early, then can take my Dad into our old spot to find him a bull.

old unit, new ground and some old. and here's why. i will be starting a job soon 30 minutes from the elkwoods and will be able to hunt everyday after work. these will be some of my old spots that are quick and accessable from the truck or ATV. i have the luxury of setting my jobsite onsite hours in a situation as important as hunting ;) what a great company i work for btw! so i could see taking off at 2-2:30 depending on what's happening. dirt work is so stress free!

if I am not successful early, I'll take a week off. I'll also use some vacay on Friday's as well. vacation days will all be spent getting aquainted with a new herd of elk in an undisclosed location in an elkwoods near you. 🏹🏹🏹

vthokee

WKR
This year will be second time hunting this 3rd choice unit in NM. Definitely not a desirable unit but it holds elk.

Trophy Hill... exactly.... old spot but new country. Always pushing further. Not that it’s necessary but exploring is FUN and it adds options. Never too many options!

Beendare

WKR
Are you going elk hunting in your fav 'old' spot this year or going to a 'new' spot?

I'll be hunting my old Colorado OTC haunts for a week and then head to Wyo for a new spot.
Best of both worlds
I was hoping for a good spot...but bought a NM LO tag in Northern NM [crummy unit] as my backup. Since no MT, Wyo or other good tag came through...it looks like I will be toughing it out again this year at high elevation in NM.