Old reloading books vs website

williaada

WKR
I have some older reloading books and for my 7mm-08 the max varget load is 43. Now on the nosler website the max is 45.

Which max load would you think is correct, and why the increase is max powder charge?

I have some older reloading books and for my 7mm-08 the max varget load is 43. Now on the nosler website the max is 45.

Which max load would you think is correct, and why the increase is max powder charge?

Each likely used different brass, powder/bullet lot, barrels, etc so each was probably “correct” with the circumstances at play when they tested.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Charge weights in Loading books are really just a guideline and specific to the rifle that was used in testing. Very unlikely they will match your rifle. Chrono you loads and look at velocity to get an idea of pressure, it will coordinate much better than charge weights. Max velocity in the book = max pressure, adjusted for barrel length of course.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
To add, not only are book charge weights specific to the rifle, they are specific the brass,primer, and especially the bullet. Different bullets brands/construction will have different max charge weights, some are harder/softer when engaging the rifling and this all affects the pressure curve and results in different velocities.

49ereric

WKR
I have use an internet archive page to look up old manuals (Speer #9) for comparison and to find loads for the obsolete “poor man’s magnum“.

Vern400

WKR
All the data is for guidance. At the end of the day you're on your own. Take a proven 308 load you've been using for years, and stuff it into Lake City brass and all of a sudden you have a problem. When you develop a load, consider that nothing is interchangeable without a quick workup. If you are at the upper half of the allowable charges even the rifle itself is not interchangeable without a quick check. The only thing I interchange is federal 210/210M/210GMM primers. I have never noticed a significant difference, and didn't check ES or SD on velocity.