Old vs new swaro spotter

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I recently acquired a 2003 Swaro ATS 65 with 20-60x eyepiece. The glass and function are near perfect. After using it for a week I'm curious about how it compares to a new HD version. I also wonder if putting a new 25-50 wide eyepiece on it would improve its performance. I'm not saying it doesn't perform well; sometimes the image is amazing but others in low light and higher magnification, it does drop off. Looking for opinions on how much I'm compromising compared to those two factors, HD and the eyepiece. Also curious about how much of a spotter's performance is dictated by the eyepiece. Thanks in advance!

During daylight hours look at a light or dark object with an opposite contrasted background. Something that has been a good litmus test for me is a telephone or power pole against a light landscape behind it like the sky. This will show chromatic aberration on the non HD scope which looks like purplish fringing around the subject in focus.

HD glass eliminates chromatic aberration through correction in the internal lenses.

If you hunt a lot of light colored game in dark landscapes, or vice versa then chromatic aberration will eventually bug you enough to consider switching. If you’re not picky and really trying to count points/score racks/count rings on sheep then you might never even notice the chromatic aberration unless someone pointed it out to you.

The 25-50x eyepiece has field flattening and is very useable through the whole zoom range with the high end being just on the edge of too dark. The 20-60x definitely falls off much more in the high end of the zoom range.

For reference, I owned an STS80 non hd with the 20-60x eyepiece. The chromatic aberration and usability at the high end of the zoom bothered me enough to sell and switch to a STM 65 HD w 25-50x eyepiece. I haven’t looked back since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Torrey in Tahoe

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
During daylight hours look at a light or dark object with an opposite contrasted background. Something that has been a good litmus test for me is a telephone or power pole against a light landscape behind it like the sky. This will show chromatic aberration on the non HD scope which looks like purplish fringing around the subject in focus.

HD glass eliminates chromatic aberration through correction in the internal lenses.

If you hunt a lot of light colored game in dark landscapes, or vice versa then chromatic aberration will eventually bug you enough to consider switching. If you’re not picky and really trying to count points/score racks/count rings on sheep then you might never even notice the chromatic aberration unless someone pointed it out to you.

The 25-50x eyepiece has field flattening and is very useable through the whole zoom range with the high end being just on the edge of too dark. The 20-60x definitely falls off much more in the high end of the zoom range.

For reference, I owned an STS80 non hd with the 20-60x eyepiece. The chromatic aberration and usability at the high end of the zoom bothered me enough to sell and switch to a STM 65 HD w 25-50x eyepiece. I haven’t looked back since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Great information! I'm using NL 12x's for my primary glassing which are amazing. It's going to come down to cost benefit whether it's worth the additional expense for the spotter.

When I compared an older Swaro 20-60x65 to my new at the time Swaro ATM20-60x65HD there was a lot of difference to my eye. The old scope was much darker and less crisp...looking at a grizzly a mile away just before dark. Some of it may have been worn coatings on my friends old version as his was well used.

OP
Torrey in Tahoe

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
When I compared an older Swaro 20-60x65 to my new at the time Swaro ATM20-60x65HD there was a lot of difference to my eye. The old scope was much darker and less crisp...looking at a grizzly a mile away just before dark. Some of it may have been worn coatings on my friends old version as his was well used.
Thanks for your input. The more time I spend with the ATS the more I like it. I did find a newish HD ATS with the 25-50 eyepiece at a great price so I'll be comparing the two side by side. I'm looking forward to seeing how they really compare. The winner will stay and the loser will show up here on the optics classified.

Lonebow

FNG
Thanks for your input. The more time I spend with the ATS the more I like it. I did find a newish HD ATS with the 25-50 eyepiece at a great price so I'll be comparing the two side by side. I'm looking forward to seeing how they really compare. The winner will stay and the loser will show up here on the optics classified.
wow that was a killer deal non-hd 65 with eyepiece for 1.3k is the cheapest i've seen. You left money on the table but you got a quick sale.

OP
Torrey in Tahoe

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
wow that was a killer deal non-hd 65 with eyepiece for 1.3k is the cheapest i've seen. You left money on the table but you got a quick sale.
The deal fell through. The guy didn't realize they were non HD so he backed out. They're still up for $1200.

OP
Torrey in Tahoe

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
damn, wth . Killer price. If I wouldnt have purchased a body yesterday i'd be all over it . Are you selling 25x50x eye piece by any chance?
No, keeping the 25-50 with STS. I was pretty up in the air about it though. The 25-50 gives a better picture and FOV but it's pretty finicky with the rolling black kidney bean. I have to brace the eyepiece against my eyebrow carefully to make it work but I've gotten used to it. The 20-60 doesn't do that at all.

Lonebow

FNG
No, keeping the 25-50 with STS. I was pretty up in the air about it though. The 25-50 gives a better picture and FOV but it's pretty finicky with the rolling black kidney bean. I have to brace the eyepiece against my eyebrow carefully to make it work but I've gotten used to it. The 20-60 doesn't do that at all.
pitty. i have a 20x60 on my 65 ATS and want a 25x50 on my 80 STS. I could buy a 20x60 if you part out but is not my 1st choice. Do you have a price in mind for the eyepiece only? I dont have the right to PM (7 days away) but I can call/email or msg you with my ebay account 1300+ all positives.